04-06-2005, 16:04
just wondering how many ppl here at GT are bass players

i have a Fender American Deluxe 5-string and a 4-string Yamaha

clever_21
04-07-2005, 10:06
no bassists???? It's ok, I'll be the first;g

Soujurn
04-08-2005, 02:46
You'll find that the non gun related forums other than a few exceptions get very little traffic.

I can play a little bass, but I'm not that good.

AJE
04-08-2005, 09:06
I have messed with bass but only can play stuff I have already played on guitar, with the exception of "Another one bites the dust".

I would very much like to get myself a used bass sometime to play around with.

nickg
04-08-2005, 11:55
Originally posted by Soujurn
You'll find that the non gun related forums other than a few exceptions get very little traffic.

i'm hip!!!!!

you'll find 10 threads somewhere else about "tell me why you like skynyrd" instead of using the MUSIC forum for a thread about MUSIC!!!!! ;Q ;Q ;Q

if ***** for brains was money there would be a LOT of rich people in the world!!!

Soujurn
04-09-2005, 03:46
Amen brother, you're preaching to the choir. Not that theres anything wrong with that. :)

Anyway, I decided to learn bass back in the 70's when Barney Miller came on TV. That has to be one of the cooler bass lines. http://www.azchords.com/t/themesongs-tabs-4355/barneymillertheme-tabs-92882.html
Also, the bass to McCartney's Silly Love Songs.
How that man can sing and play bass at the same time is amazing. Same for Geddy Lee... Those guys knock me out.

http://www.bassinside.com/2003/february/geddy2.jpg.http://users.rttinc.com/~dreamon/Paul%20McCartney.jpg

CDP1911
04-10-2005, 21:50
Don't feel alone.

Bass player here. Switched from guitar to bass about 30 years ago.

My current line up is

76 Fender Jazz
Roscoe SKB 3005
ESP LTD
Godin A4
F Bass BN5
F Bass BNF5

clever_21
04-13-2005, 14:32
Soujurn, Geddy Lee is freakin' great IMO, what he can do and the WAY he sings while playing is nutz! i mean i sing lead and play in my bad but much more simple stuff!!! ;f ;f

CDP1911 what do you use the most?? tell me its that '76!!! (drooooool)

bigbadglock
04-26-2005, 15:33
I play a little bit of bass

Berto
04-26-2005, 16:57
I learned "money" by Pink Floyd years ago,but don't play the bass as of now.I very much want to find a nice 5 string Fender Jazz someday and learn it.

Ben51925
04-27-2005, 17:43
I play. Not as much as I used to but I still do some.

I have a Fender P Bass.

Hobear
05-02-2005, 13:43
Yo sojourn, you named two of my favorite bass players ever. Paul doesn't have the chops of Geddy, but he was doing cool things and taking bas to different level way before bass was cool. (Rain, Something, Paperback Writer)

Also, Victor Wooten, Oteil Burbridge, and of course, Jaco.

TomSplasky
05-03-2005, 00:34
I play 4 string bass.

My favorite bassists are Victor Wooten, Matt Freeman, the guy from Yes, and that's about it.

nickg
05-03-2005, 10:10
Originally posted by Hobear
Paul doesn't have the chops of Geddy, but he was doing cool things and taking bas to different level way before bass was cool. (Rain, Something, Paperback Writer)

mccartney is very underated as a bass player for the most part. too bad because his playing is just tremendous in so many songs.

but my favorite bass player is STILL jack bruce.

Hobear
05-03-2005, 21:27
Yo sojourn, you named two of my favorite bass players ever. Paul doesn't have the chops of Geddy, but he was doing cool things and taking bas to different level way before bass was cool. (Rain, Something, Paperback Writer)

mccartney is very underated as a bass player for the most part. too bad because his playing is just tremendous in so many songs.

Oh yea, Dear Prudence (try coming up with a cool bass line for THAT song)

He isn't so much a bass player as a musical artist who played bass (primarily) in the bands he's been in. He didn't start out playing bass, he picked it up after Stuart Sutcliff left the band, but then that's why he's the musician he is and The Beatles were the band they were, b/c he was/is willing to venture out into uncharted waters.

(forgot, this is a favorite bassist thread);Q

Punkkin
05-03-2005, 23:56
I plink around on an old fender pbass. Mostly I'm on my acoustic 6 string.

frettedfive
05-08-2005, 02:14
Man, I need to quit forgetting that there's a Music Forum on GT... Every so often I "rediscover" this place and start posting here again.

Anyway, I'm a bass player. My main bass is a custom-built Alembic 5-string. I also play a USA-made Fender 4-string P-Bass that's been heavily customized with new electronics and pickups.

Used to be play bass in a band back when I was in college, but nowadays I pretty much just write and record my own stuff at home; and jam with friends every now and again.

I'm primarily a sax player by training (been playing almost 14 years), but I've been playing bass for over 6 years. I also play guitar, keys, a little bit of drums, harmonica, bassoon, and pretty much whatever else I can get my hands on.

BTW... got to see McCartney live in Vegas a few years back. What a show! He's one of my bass-playing heroes.

I'm also a big fan of Lemmy, Roger Waters, Les Claypool, Jaco, Jamerson, Mike Mills... the list goes on. There are some truly great bassists out there, past and present, whose music really brings the instrument to the forefront; from the sonic onslaught of Claypool to the thick-as-syrup-on-a-cold-day grooves of Jamerson.

Tommy21
05-08-2005, 04:41
A man gives his son an electric bass for his 15th birthday, along with a coupon for four bass lessons. When the son returns from his first lesson, the father asks, "So, what did you learn?"
"Well, I learned the first five notes on the E string." Next week, after the second lesson, the father again asks about the progress, and the son replies, "This time I learned the first five notes on the A string." One week later, the son comes home far later than expected, smelling of cigarettes and beer. So the father asks: "Hey, what happened in today's lesson?" "Dad, I'm sorry I couldn't make it to my lesson; I had a gig!"

;f ;f ;f

Tommy

philford
05-16-2005, 06:38
What do you guys think of Fred Hammond

CDP1911
05-16-2005, 20:37
Fred is hip. In that genre my fav is Andrew Gouche.

If you are into Jazz / Fusion. Have you dug this fretless kat from the UK named Laurence Cottle?

http://www.laurencecottle.com/music/

IntruderBware
05-21-2005, 15:14
Tom here. Just moved down to Fl from Md so I'm apart from my usual play-mates. Musicman StingRay 4-string with a Hip-Shot detuner, Carvin 5-string, Rickenbacker 4001.

clever_21
05-23-2005, 08:19
how you like your Ric??

IntruderBware
05-23-2005, 10:50
Still love it. Fills it's own nich in the sound spectrum. Nothing quite like it, but still pretty versatile. I bought it new in 1979. Pick-ups are a little noisey by today's standards. I've removed the bridge pick-up cover because it seemed to be exactly in the wrong place. Also, I had to reverse the e-string saddle on the bridge in order to get it to tune correctly. I use Roto-Sound strings. Never really used the stereo output jack.

armybass
05-25-2005, 22:41
10 years in the US Army Band as a Bass Player, 6 years in College as a Music Major on Upright and Electric and 20 years of civilian gigging and now I am very happy to play my Stingrays in any country band that will have me.:)

leehyatt
05-26-2005, 11:48
I play bass. check out my bands website
www.midnightburning.com
I've got a Fender Roscoe Beck V, a Fender USA Jazz Deluxe, and a Pedulla Thunderbass.

BeBop
06-09-2005, 12:58
Hey, brothers! A new GT member here, and yes ... a long time bassist! Glad to see other bottom dwellers out there.