The snakes have definitely un-hibernated [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The snakes have definitely un-hibernated

Greybeard
04-09-2005, 21:04
Today turned out to be "snake day" in scouting a promising new lease west of Archer City. Between 4 of us, we got a rattler and 3 confirmed kills on water mocs. All with handguns and solid projectiles.

The rattler was "tag teamed", so to speak. It startled city-boy huntin' buddy Ken bigtime when it began rattling and coiled up into strike mode about 12' feet away. He sprayed and prayed at it with at least 10 rounds from his Glock 22. I had my new Glock 29 out in low ready position and was putting the safety block in my left pocket when Ken paused long to let the dust settle, then looked over at me.

The 5' snake still had it's head up about 12", moving it back and forth, showing us his fangs. I looked over at Ken and said "Do you want me to shoot it now?", then popped it in the head with the second shot of 135 grain screamers from Double Tap. When Ken's adreneline finally stopped pumping and he began to reload his magazine, he looked over and said "Smart ***!"

Counted 17 "rattles" on the tail, plus another bead just started. Cut it off to hang on office wall next to pheasant tailfeathers.

3 out of 4 of us had on snake boots and/or chaps. The 4'th guy (another semi-city boy) said he's going to own some before he goes out there again. ;)

J.P.
04-09-2005, 22:44
Snakes suck.
They ALL must die!
I haven't encountered even a watersnake yet here in Oklahoma.

Kevin108
04-09-2005, 23:49
Still too cold here in VA I think, but it won't be long now. I'm not a hunter but I definitely wouldn't mind popping a poisonous snake in the yard.

Greybeard
04-10-2005, 07:01
FWIW, I generally much prefer the CCI shot loads for snakes.

The things cycled out of G36 that I had to sell last year. They also seem to run OK in my G17 and Kahr 9s. The .45 ACP loads out of the G36 barrel threw an awesome little pattern out to about 12'.

I don't think shot loads are "standard stuff" in 10mm, but I will definitely be getting some for the .40 S&W barrel for the 29. Lots of copperheads in this area.

I am not a believer in killing snakes just for the sake of killing snakes. But the poisionous ones, especially agressive ones, in my book, fit into the category of "just need killin'".

mpol777
04-10-2005, 13:29
I've never had trouble with the rattlers. I still wear gaiters in areas I know they're heavy. I've never had one come at me, just get riled up and let me know to back off. Which I'm obliged to do.

Most folks think the rattlers, scorpions and tarantulas are the bad boys out here. To me it's the Palo Verde Beetles and the millipedes. The palo verde is like freakin' Mothra. Largest beetle in the US with pinchers to match. Had one bite me in the cheek while I was curled up in my sleeping bag. Not fun.

http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/graphic/bugs/pvbr-bt2.jpg

This yellow one is just one type. They all give me the willies.

http://www.succulent-plant.com/other/millipede01.jpg

GU-47
04-11-2005, 00:35
Those are the grossest bugs I done ever seen

Also up here were are lucky to not have any poisonous snakes

CanyonMan
04-11-2005, 10:40
Greybeard,

LOL... Man you boys would be a riot out here on the ranch, (W. TX.),
10 rounds here, changing mags there, With all that noise, did you ever see a turkey? :)

You are right Hoss, they (the rattlers) are all out and ready for action. We don't worry with them here, used to them i guess. When your working a fence line, or cattle out of the deep brush etc, and you find yourself a foot 'on occasion,' for some momentary reason, and feel one slither along side your boot, you can wet your chaps right quick, but then take a step back, draw the 44mag Vaquero out, and "one shot stop."! ;f

It ain't the big 5/6' boys that bother me, it is the 'new borns,' that are about the diameter of a pencil, and 12" long with no rattles yet, and 'twice the venom.' Our ranch has more rattlers on it than 'any ranch in this particular county,' so you snake killers would love it here! ;)

mpol777

a got a good friend out in Arizona, been thinking about goin out there and hangin out with him a while, and doing some desert stuff, but after seeing those ungodly looking critters you posted, i ain't so sure. haha ( i reckon the 44 ought to blow up that worm though).

I thought it was bad enough here, with scorpions in the house, and rattlers all over the place, and triantulas, (sp), and everything that can bite sting and stick ya, but that yellow lookin outfit there is not for me man. That is one reason i hate to go to our family's land in Tenn: they got all that 'swamp stuff there,' and i hate crawly freaky lookin swamp critters. My stetson is off to all you southern boys on here that have to hunt in swampy areas... good luck!

CanyonMan