Sunglasses at the gym? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses at the gym?

45acp4me
04-10-2005, 21:36
Ok, now I have seen it all. Tonight there was a guy at the gym wearing sunglasses. Now I'll eat my words if the guy just had eye surgery or something, but I don't think the florescent lighting is that harsh. :)

That being said, what is the goofiest mannerism, look, or thing you have seen at the gym? I figured this would top my list for a while.

Cheers!
Glen

testosterone
04-11-2005, 09:14
guys wearing gardening gloves as lifting gloves

ateamer
04-11-2005, 10:43
Guys wearing gloves at all in the gym. Actually, they can't technically be called "guys" at that point.;g

Dandapani
04-11-2005, 11:19
Better for babe watching...

45acp4me
04-11-2005, 13:57
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
Better for babe watching...

Indoors?

So you can babe watch, but none will talk to you since you look incredibly stupid?

;f

Cheers!
Glen

Willard
04-11-2005, 15:36
People carrying (or using) pagers and phones at the gym.

People using Walkmen at the gym.

BTW, real men DO wear gloves at the gym. Those of us who make a living with our hands try to protect them.

Saying that "guys" don't wear gloves in the gym makes as much sense as saying that "guys" don't wear hearing protection or glasses when shooting.

Animal Mother
04-12-2005, 02:43
People use walkmen, and other personal music players, for the protection of others. As pointed out on another thread, being able to hear my music and block out the fern infested world around me allows me to concentrate on my workout. Otherwise, I would fear for the safety of the spandex short and string tank top wearing, 20 minute between set discussion having, quarter squat doing, using the squat rack for bicep curling, not wanting to get too bulky twerps that seem to infest almost every "gym" on the planet.

I think that would be my list of annoying gym happenings. Oh, and people who use Smith Machines.

Willard
04-12-2005, 09:16
;z

Great post!

;c

I'll ditto that!

Personally, I can't wear a Walkman in the gym - it's in my way. But, it doesn't really bother me when others wear them.

testosterone
04-12-2005, 22:05
I am unable to lift with gloves.I dont like the sweat....I HAVE to work out with my own music though..cant stand the crap pumped through the gyms stereo

beavis1957
04-13-2005, 07:08
Originally posted by ateamer
Guys wearing gloves at all in the gym. Actually, they can't technically be called "guys" at that point.;g

Try saying that if you have mild/severe exzema. The first time your hands start bleeding while doing an upper body workout, you'll be going out to get a damn set of gloves. I promise you that!

Mister Joshua
04-13-2005, 12:18
Originally posted by beavis1957
Try saying that if you have mild/severe exzema. The first time your hands start bleeding while doing an upper body workout, you'll be going out to get a damn set of gloves. I promise you that!

My hands used to bleed every time I worked out. I still don't use gloves... (they aren't allowed in competition).

beavis1957
04-13-2005, 14:11
Originally posted by Mister Joshua
My hands used to bleed every time I worked out. I still don't use gloves... (they aren't allowed in competition).

Well, that's good and all, but the last time I checked folks don't appreciate blood on equipment at the GYM. And I don't do competitions, so that's that. Exzema's a ***** though.

FreakyBig
04-19-2005, 11:28
Nothing wrong with wearing gloves, although I personally dont like them. However, you are an idiot if you wear gardening gloves in the gym!

If you have the 80s style baggys, that taper at the ankle, with the American flag or any other strange design on them....please throw them away. You look like an idiot.

Those wearing sunglasses as previously stated or a gangster-like rag on their head should be thrown out head first. You also look like an idiot.

Anyone caught talking on a cell phone in the gym should be asked to leave, and beaten severely if taking up a bench while doing so.

You are also an idiot if you carry around a gallon sized jug of water during your workout. I know you actually think this makes you look like a professional bodybuilder, but do you really think you are going to drink that much water during your workout? A 32 oz bottle will be fine. If you are drinking that much....you are also an idiot.

ateamer
04-19-2005, 11:49
Originally posted by FreakyBig
If you have the 80s style baggys, that taper at the ankle, with the American flag or any other strange design on them....please throw them away. You look like an idiot.

You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it!

Rich22
04-19-2005, 18:36
Originally posted by 45acp4me
Ok, now I have seen it all. Tonight there was a guy at the gym wearing sunglasses. Now I'll eat my words if the guy just had eye surgery or something, but I don't think the florescent lighting is that harsh. :)

Wouldn't much like me then, i wear prescription sunglasses pretty much anywhere i cannot control the light level, otherwise most everything is nothing but an eye watering glare fest for me. He may not be doing it for any other reason then he cannot see well without them, but then again you never know

Rich

45acp4me
04-21-2005, 09:40
Originally posted by Rich22
Wouldn't much like me then, i wear prescription sunglasses pretty much anywhere i cannot control the light level, otherwise most everything is nothing but an eye watering glare fest for me. He may not be doing it for any other reason then he cannot see well without them, but then again you never know

Rich

But you have a reason for it, and you are not wearing $8 gas station sunglasses either. :)

SouthernGal
04-21-2005, 12:09
I'm still laughing at all the chicks who come to the gym looking for a hookup rather than to get buff. It's like they are paying their monthly fee to meet guys at the gym. Some of the stuff they wear are a joke.

Now I remember why I don't belong to a gym anymore. I can always ignore the idiots who honk at me while I'm running.

45acp4me
04-21-2005, 21:46
Originally posted by SouthernGal
I'm still laughing at all the chicks who come to the gym looking for a hookup rather than to get buff. It's like they are paying their monthly fee to meet guys at the gym. Some of the stuff they wear are a joke.

Now I remember why I don't belong to a gym anymore. I can always ignore the idiots who honk at me while I'm running.

When I was doing asphalt work for a summer there was one of the guys that would honk at jogging girls all the time. One day there was a good looking woman jogging along and he toots the horn again so I asked him why he does it. His response, they wouldn't be wearing the bra only or bra and little tank top if they didn't watn the attention. At this point I reponded with something like "So the fact that's it's 80 to 95 degrees during the summer and that brusied chests hurt have nothing to do with it?" He stopped honking the horn at jogging girls when I was in the truck. ;f

BTW, I do look when I see a jogging woman, but I don't stare and I certainly don't honk.

Cheers!
Glen

mmorgret
04-23-2005, 09:42
I work out at the YMCA in the morning, between 8-10am. All the old people are there using the machines with 10 pounds waiting 10 seconds between reps and there is nobody there to spot me on the free weights so I suffer.

JayAK
04-25-2005, 17:34
Originally posted by FreakyBig
Nothing wrong with wearing gloves, although I personally dont like them. However, you are an idiot if you wear gardening gloves in the gym!

Those wearing sunglasses as previously stated or a gangster-like rag on their head should be thrown out head first. You also look like an idiot.

Anyone caught talking on a cell phone in the gym should be asked to leave, and beaten severely if taking up a bench while doing so.

You are also an idiot if you carry around a gallon sized jug of water during your workout. I know you actually think this makes you look like a professional bodybuilder, but do you really think you are going to drink that much water during your workout? A 32 oz bottle will be fine. If you are drinking that much....you are also an idiot.

I agree with everything but the water comment, I drink a gallon of water when I go to the gym but then again I am there for 2hrs min.....

Hydration is key when taking certain....."supps"

FreakyBig
04-26-2005, 16:50
Originally posted by JayAK
I agree with everything but the water comment, I drink a gallon of water when I go to the gym but then again I am there for 2hrs min.....

Hydration is key when taking certain....."supps"

Sorry....left that out also.
You are also an idiot if you spend 2 or more hours in the gym thinking the longer you work out the bigger you'll get. It should take no longer than an hour to get in and tear down the targeted muscle fibers. Anything longer than that is going to cut into the real growing phase, which is getting home, eating and resting. If you are working out at full intensity, nobody can last 2 or more hrs. Think twice about how hard you are really working out...you probably need to make some changes.
.....and no, you dont need to drink a gallon of water while working out. ;f

JayAK
05-06-2007, 03:42
I am an idot for working out for 2 hours?

lol wow nice....

I work out 3 days a week for 2+ hours...Im not trying to get huge I am powerlifting and I do low reps several build up sets and you need breaks in between heavy lifts..powerlifting is not about go go go intensity..and plenty of water in a non-airconditioned gym....if you are bodybuilding and going all out thats great..I won't call you an idiot for wanting the all go and no show....but I do what works for me....Im 6' 218lbs low body fat...I don't need or want to be bigger or go in a "growing phase"....I just care about three simple lifts and the work IE other exercises it takes to improve them...

regards...

California Jack
05-06-2007, 10:48
Jay,

I don't really prefer to work out for that long. And I certainly don't know what works for you. Nor am I qualified to tell you what is the best length workout for you. However, I have read something written by Louie Simmons that says after one hour you've reached a point of diminishing returns. I'll try to find it and post a link.

TEHOhowever,
Jack

ateamer
05-06-2007, 11:35
I've lifted weights since '81, and have been involved in powerlifting since '96 (haven't competed for two years, but still train for it). Even when training heavy singles, two hours is a long time in the gym. You can pick up the pace with no ill effects. I like to rest about three to four minutes between singles, and that's with 95%+. Almost everyone I have ever trained with has been able to keep the same pace. Most meets go too slowly and I start getting cold between lifts. By the way, I weigh between 245-250, so it's not like I am a little guy who is ripped to shreds.

California Jack
05-06-2007, 11:51
Found it.......... 4. Including warm-up, how long should my work-outs be? I currently run between 75 and 90 minutes, 4 times per week.

A: 60 minutes at the most.

From a Louie Simmons FAQ found HERE (http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/louie2.htm) .

DBradD
05-06-2007, 12:13
Originally posted by ateamer
Using a pad on the squat bar is another automatic disqualification from the male side of the human race.

DBradD
05-06-2007, 12:17
I am an idot for working out for 2 hours?
Idiot? Of course not, but that does seem like an awful long time.

Then again, my average total workout counting a big warmup is about 30 minutes. It's never more than an hour.

ateamer
05-06-2007, 19:40
Originally posted by DBradD
Using a pad on the squat bar is another automatic disqualification from the male side of the human race.
Whenever I see one of those puszy pads, I throw it across the gym and tell anyone who will listen that it is disrespectful one of those anywhere near a barbell. Of course, I have never owned anything made of Spandex, frequently show up to the gym in shorts that have had the same chalk on them for three or four months but don't smell bad because the liniment overrides the other fragrances, and make meowing sounds to anyone in our group who is being weak without good reason (amputation, advanced cancer, death of spouse within the past hour).

DBradD
05-06-2007, 19:45
:laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove:

Not to mention that the pads are dangerous too, increasing the chance that the bar will slip off the back. Changes the balance of the movement too.

Willard
05-06-2007, 20:52

Just FYI - those are called "maxi-pads". Refer to them by name every time you see one, an eventually, you'll see them less.

DBradD
05-06-2007, 21:13
Originally posted by Willard
Just FYI - those are called "maxi-pads". Refer to them by name every time you see one, an eventually, you'll see them less.
And another :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove:

Perhaps they should come in pink?

JayAK
05-07-2007, 00:57
If the bar hurts your neck just work on your traps.....

JayAK
05-07-2007, 00:59
thats cool that you guys work out for 30-45 mins.....

I just can't get everything I need to in that time frame....I guess a 600lb dead lift means I don't know what I am talking about though....

DBradD
05-07-2007, 06:28
thats cool that you guys work out for 30-45 mins.....

I just can't get everything I need to in that time frame....I guess a 600lb dead lift means I don't know what I am talking about though....
Sorry Jay, I don't think anybody meant any insult.

Congratulations on that awesome deadlift!

ateamer
05-07-2007, 11:10
I guess a 722 squat, 501 bench and 661 deadlift mean I don't know what I am talking about, nor does weight training going back to 1981. :upeyes:

Willard
05-07-2007, 11:19
If the bar hurts your neck just work on your traps.....

Actually, if the bar hurts your neck, it's too high! There is a "shelf" of bone across your shoulder blades. God put it there so that we would have a secure spot to place the bar while squatting. If your shoulder blades are pulled back, and your head is up, you should be able to squat without any bar pressure directly on your spine.

California Jack
05-07-2007, 17:49
I just can't get everything I need to in that time frame....I guess a 600lb dead lift means I don't know what I am talking about though.... Echoing wqhat Brad said. I don't think anyone was insinuating that you didn't know what you are doing. Just saying that there is more than one correct protocol.

JayAK
05-07-2007, 20:22
Sorry Jay, I don't think anybody meant any insult.

Congratulations on that awesome deadlift!

Thanks I have been working on it for about 7 years

ateamer
05-07-2007, 23:04
Not bad at all for only seven years. Do you pull sumo or conventional?