Echo link [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Echo link

bangelo
04-12-2005, 18:35
Any one play around with echo link? we should get a big glocktalk qso going.

lomfs24
04-12-2005, 18:45
I was thinking the same thing with IRLP.

Glock Bob
04-13-2005, 00:25
I've been a ham for about 5 years now, but...

"I don't understand a word you just said"

lomfs24
04-13-2005, 02:15
Glock Bob,
I am not too familar with Echo Link since I don't believe we have it available around here. But IRLP is pretty simple. I transmit to a repeater that is connected to an IRLP..... Let's first start with IRLP. It stands for Internet Radio Linking Project. I key up a repeater and using the key pad on my radio (DTMF) I key in a 4 digit code. The computer that is connected to the repeater and the internet then brings up a link across the internet to the node that was just dialed. And viola, with 2 meter or 70cm radio you can talk around the world. Then there are reflectors where more than one node can connect to a reflector and it acts as a "conference call" or "hub" where people from many parts of the world can all be heard and converse.

This site will probably explain it and answer most of your questions better than I can. http://www.irlp.net

If you have a basic understanding of Linux and some extra cash to build the machine it's not too hard to put together an IRLP node for your own area. Check the list, you may already have one and just need to know how to access it.

Glock Bob
04-15-2005, 11:37
The IRLP site is very confusing to me. If I were to set one up would I need to register it with the FCC (like a normal repeater would be)?

lomfs24
04-15-2005, 12:16
You are asking the wrong guy on that one. I am learning as I go too. Here is a place that might be able to answer that question. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irlp/ The answer has probably been asked and answered there.

Off the top of my head and from what I remember from my book. If you were to put up a repeater it would probably be handled the same as any other repeater because if you don't bring up the IRLP node it will act as a normal repeater. If you are not operating the IRLP on a repeater but rather on a simplex radio it probably would be handled as a normal base station under your operating license. If you or another licensed ham were to man it 24/7 you could use the 2 meter band on simplex. If it were an un-manned simplex radio it would have to be on any ham frequency above something like 222.25 Mhz. I would probably check with your local ham club or organization about protocols for that area.

I am just learning this stuff too so please don't take my word for what you can and cannot do.

MikeD122
04-15-2005, 16:59
I downloaded the echolink program from
http://www.echolink.org/ (http://)

It took me a little while to figure everything out,but once I did it's pretty easy to use. I'm not really an expert on echolink,but I guess it can be used either with a repeater or just over the internet. The website above pretty much explains it all.
www.echolink.org/

Capt. Jack
04-15-2005, 18:57
I am currently located in Shanghai and have used echolink a few times. Interesting & easy to use.

Jack
W4GRJ

Glock Bob
04-16-2005, 14:07
I can't use it as I'm behind two routers. I've set my router up properly but my dad owns the other one and probably won't let me setup port forwarding. Oh well, I was looking forward to trying it out.

lomfs24
04-16-2005, 17:56
I am assuming that your router is behind his. Would he let you put your router in the DMZ? If he would put yours in the DMZ you could make it work just fine.

Glock Bob
04-17-2005, 23:14
Yes, it goes:

Cable modem > his router > my router > my computer

He wouldn't go for DMZ on his router as it would make the network vulnerable to attack. I can set my router for DMZ, but I'd need a default IP address to enter into the field on the router setup page.

lomfs24
04-18-2005, 08:36
You can actually put just one computer or device in the DMZ. In this case the device that would be in the DMZ would be your router. It would not expose your network anymore than it already is.

But hey, he's your dad. Where do you live? Is there an IRLP that is already up in your area? You may be able to just use it. Then you wouldn't have the headaches of running your own repeater anyway.

Glock Bob
04-18-2005, 21:51
There is an IRLP node about 67 miles away. I'm not sure if I can hit it or even how to access it. I've used IRLP's email-the-node-admin to ask him, but I've yet to recieve a response.

As far as EchoLink is concerned, I used to be able to access other P2P networks, but that was before I got the second router. I'm going to try a direct link from the first router to see if that helps any.