Question for Arizona Full Time Paid FighterFighters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for Arizona Full Time Paid FighterFighters

akapennypincher
04-13-2005, 12:04
Have a distant relative who lives in the New England area. He is 38 y/o and has been a Volunteer Fire Fighter/EMT about 7 years.

He is a H/S Dropout with a GED
Approx. 5’ 5” Tall + Plus FAT (overweight)
Also was hurt after falling off a Ladder at a Fire, and collect 16 Month of Disability for Back Injury.

Think of moving to AZ.

Question is this guy thinks because of his “Volunteer Fire Fighter/EMT about 7 years.” he will be a Hot Commodity in the AZ Firefight Market. I think he is NUTS. ^1

Pa Glock guy
04-13-2005, 18:19
You might think he is a nut and he probably is but all some career depts require is a high school diploma or a GED. Unless he tells them he got a disability and it prevents it from doing his job his prospective employer may not be able ask him about any disabilities because of confidentiality laws. If he can pass all the tests he may be able to get hired. If its civil service his experience wont count for the most part.

akapennypincher
04-14-2005, 09:03
Originally posted by Pa Glock guy
You might think he is a nut and he probably is but all some career depts require is a high school diploma or a GED. Unless he tells them he got a disability and it prevents it from doing his job his prospective employer may not be able ask him about any disabilities because of confidentiality laws. If he can pass all the tests he may be able to get hired. If its civil service his experience wont count for the most part.

Yes I do think he is Nuts, but apparently his PAST MEDICAL HISTORY will not effect him according to your post.

But I personally thought there was a National Medical Data Base, a potential employer could go to to see if potential Hire had PAST MEDICAL HISTORY that could be a Problem in Future Employment.

This a History of Back problems would be a BIG RED FLAG to any employer where a good Back was Need in a job. Like Public Safety positions.....;)

Glkster19
04-21-2005, 10:40
Originally posted by akapennypincher
Approx. 5’ 5” Tall + Plus FAT (overweight)
^1

If it's a dept that uses the CPAT he probably would have a very hard time getting through it. Personally, I've never done it, but have some friends who have. They are way more fit than I and said it was a tough one. But who knows, can't always judge a book by it's cover, he could pass it.

FireGuy
04-22-2005, 09:49
Let's see...
- 38 year old rookie... No - TOO OLD
- overweight... Couldn't pass the agility test
- no GED - my experience in the Phx market area says if you don't have an associates in fire science you can forget about it.
- While height isn't a requirement, it helps.
- No mention of FF1 and FF2, and what level EMT but would have to get it transfered.

Sorry, but he's where he belongs. Please don't send us more out of work, middle aged, guys. We get enough of them from California and New England...;g

akapennypincher
05-03-2005, 08:05
Originally posted by FireGuy

Sorry, but he's where he belongs. Please don't send us more out of work, middle aged, guys. We get enough of them from California and New England...;g

I think he is DREAMING, and No QUALIFIED. Plus with a HISTORY of Back Problems is a VERY BIG RED FLAG... ;U