4 Turkey Day [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 4 Turkey Day

TexAg
04-13-2005, 17:59
Haven't had time to post this and I still don't have pics, but hopefully my brother will get some captures off his video camera....but onto the story which I will make short for now...My Dad, brother, nephew and bro-in law went last weekend...set up early, a few hen decoys and one jake decoy...two of us call and the rest watch out. We can hear them gobbling around us, 3 or 4 pretty close and one way off to our South. It gets a little quiet and then all of a sudden about 15 hens run in, peeping and beeping and making all kinds of sounds, they stop about 10 yards from me and the Tom following them stops, looks at the Jake decoy and puffs up and stares at him, BOOM, brother shoots him, hens fly off. So we keep calling and the one to our South gets closer and closer and finally my nephew whispers "Hes right behind us", I tell him to keep still...and the Tom walks within 5 yards of us, as he passes I tell my nephew, turn and shoot, turn and shoot (he had to turn about 90 degrees to shoot him), BOOM, down he goes (the 4th generation to use that Winchester model 1912).

So we relocate. We see a couple Toms over on a ridge and my Brother and Brother in law go off to see if they can call them in. What a story they have! They only took my brother's single shot, fully choked trap gun. They call them both in and my brother in law shoots his, then passes the gun to my brother, who reloads and shoots the other one! Talk about a poor man's successful hunt, one single hot between the two of them and two dead birds. So 4 dead that day, all before 11am and 6 all together over two Saturdays. I'm going at least one more time.

DJ Niner
04-15-2005, 02:46
Sounds like a hot spot for sure!

Eat some grilled breast meat for me!

noway
04-15-2005, 07:26
What county did you do all of this damage in ? ;)

I'm debating getting to Texas for some Rios, so I can be one bird closer to getting a grand slam. My parents told me, they nearly ran over a few hens walking across one of th FM road in their area and dig this it was about 1mile away from the house. ;P So it seems like the birds are out their moving.

Good job on your hunt.

TexAg
04-16-2005, 14:01
All in Hood county, but we are real close to Erath also. Only an hour SW from our homes in Fort Worth.

Sadly, today we did not get anything ;P We saw three Toms this morning but they wouldn't come in close enough and for the first time this season it seemed we had alot of competition from the hens. They were making more noise than us and we began to wonder if there wasn't another hunter making all that noise, but nope, just some loud hens wanting attetion and real life moving hens are more appetizing than our decoys. Still saw some though and thats fun. Three more weekends left though, so its not over yet.

duncan
04-16-2005, 17:40
Man, great hunt.

Texas sure does have some awesome hunting.

Turkey, deer, lake fishing, gulf fishing:)

Michigun
04-19-2005, 07:52
[$

Good day in the woods for sure TexAg! ^c