Ok, so I'm a decent sized guy right [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I'm a decent sized guy right

White Buffalo
04-13-2005, 21:37
As it says in my sigline, I'm 6'4 and 230lbs. I'm not so much out of shape, but not in the best of shape either. I've also been in my fair share of fights, won some, some lost. I "know" how to throw a punch when standing up and have used my body weight/strength when on the ground. But sometimes I wonder if this is truly enough. I'm a fairly busy guy between work, my family and riding my with my crew (:) ), so I'm afraid that I don't have a whole lot of spare time on my hands to jump headfirst into a martial art for the full experience and yada, yada, yada. I'm not out looking for trouble either and I will always walk away from it if it is an option. I just, basically, want to be able to defend myself if a day comes that I would need to where my normal "knocking someone out" or whatever wouldn't work so well. Where should I begin to look? Thanks.

Hesparus
04-14-2005, 06:20
How about boxing, kick-boxing or krav magra? One of the problems people have with many other martial arts is that they often require a complete re-tooling of all of their movements and techniques. They take a lot of practice and years of training before they'll do you much good - for those of us who have the time and desire, this is fine. But if you're not looking for something to devote your life to and just want to refine your skills and maybe learn something new, then I think a simpler, more straight forward martial art like boxing may be where you should be looking. Especially since you already know your way around a fight. People like me who were 98-pound weaklings when we started martial arts benefit most from starting completely at the beginning because we have nothig to unlearn.

- Chris

mhill
04-14-2005, 08:57
That's a tough one. You only get out of it what you are willing to put into it. That's true with anything. So if you want the quick and easy way to learn Martial Arts you are looking for something that doesn't exist. All the arts take time and patients to learn effectively.

I guess the only thing I could recommend would be to get a heavy bag and start working out on it. This will teach you how to punch properly and be something you can do at home without training.

Now if you want to learn a Martial Art and put the time in I would recommend any that allow punching/kicking to the head in sparring. You could start by attending as few classes as a couple of nights a week with some homework.

With your size you have a distinct advantage over most opponents.

mhill

grenadier
04-14-2005, 09:30
There is no quick and easy way. It takes time, conditioning, and development, to become proficient at the martial arts, regardless of the style.

Some styles might be more appropriate for making someone a better street fighter in a shorter amount of time, while others take longer to gradually develop you. It may very well be, that the martial artist who takes the longer route could end up the superior fighter, but that's a discussion for another time.

I agree with the others, that if you're looking for a program that will elevate your ability to handle yourself in a street fight in the shortest time possible, that something the likes of Krav Maga, boxing, or wrestling, may be a better choice for the short term.

I would still encourage you to explore various martial arts schools, of differing styles, and see which one you like the best. If the school and instructor are decent, then any of them will eventually make you able to handle yourself on the streets, and you may very well end up becoming a better fighter in the long run.

This is not a knock against Krav Maga; in fact, those who stick with a decent Krav Maga school for the long term are as well-respected as any. It's merely a compliment, that it's a better short term tool for those who are seeking such things.

White Buffalo
04-14-2005, 14:29
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm not really looking for "the easy way out" in terms of training. I do hit weights regularly and practice on a heavy bag regularly as well. It just seems that, with programs such as Pride, UFC and K-1 becoming popular, the arts are as well. Which means I have a greater risk of getting it handed to me in a street fight. While I'm not afraid to get beat up, and I pretty much know that noone, within reason, is going to be able to outright man-handle me, I still like to come out on top from time to time (especially in front of my wife;) ). At any rate, there's a MMA school here in nashville at the 100 oaks mall that I might go check out. I know they offer BJJ (not sure if I am ready for that level of commitment though), Muay Thai, wrestling and boxing. I've been doing a little research on Muay Thai and I think it may be something I might want to try out. I think classes are 3 nights a week, so that might actually be able to replace the cardio workout that I do on my off nights from lifting free weights, but I'm not sure how effective it really is. Any comments? Thanks guys.

mhill
04-14-2005, 15:30
Originally posted by White Buffalo
I've been doing a little research on Muay Thai and I think it may be something I might want to try out. I think classes are 3 nights a week, so that might actually be able to replace the cardio workout that I do on my off nights from lifting free weights, but I'm not sure how effective it really is. Any comments? Thanks guys.

I don't know jack about Muay Thai. After a quick search it says that it's just Thai Kickboxing. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I would say that it probably would be a good cardio workout. Go try a class out and make up your own mind.

mhill

gr81disp
04-14-2005, 15:47
WHOA!!! I do know something about Muay Thai, and Muay Thai is some harcore *&^#. Full contact sparring with emphasis on power, speed and causing pain. NOT for the faint at heart. Emphasis is on low kicks (for the most part, not much above the ribs), knees and elbows in the clinch, and most schools combine it with western boxing. Works well in conjunction with grappling arts, like Judo, BJJ, wrestling, and Sambo. I would suggest it for its effectiveness but be prepared to be quite bruised.

Deputydave
04-14-2005, 16:43
Originally posted by gr81disp
WHOA!!! I do know something about Muay Thai, and Muay Thai is some harcore *&^#. Full contact sparring with emphasis on power, speed and causing pain. NOT for the faint at heart. Emphasis is on low kicks (for the most part, not much above the ribs), knees and elbows in the clinch, and most schools combine it with western boxing. Works well in conjunction with grappling arts, like Judo, BJJ, wrestling, and Sambo. I would suggest it for its effectiveness but be prepared to be quite bruised.

Complete argreement on this. MT is very hardcore and training can and should be very intense. I'd definately check it out. Let us know.

MARTIN FISHER
04-14-2005, 17:44
Ah, Muay Thai, let me put it to you this way, 100 thigh kicks on the heavy bag each leg, full power, no rest. Then class would START. If you are training at a traditional Thai school, you had better be in good to excellent shape before you start or it is going to be a painful experiance, then the real pain will begin.

Like I said, that was traditional MT, as always, watered down Mac-thai-kwaon-do schools can also be found.

White Buffalo
04-14-2005, 17:59
Hmm. I think maybe this is the route for me then. I called and got the ok to go and respectfully check the school out. I'll let you all know how it goes..... Thanks for the help fellas.

Joshua M. Smith
04-14-2005, 19:31
White Buffalo,

Given your size and strength I would go with a grappling art, one that concentrates on pressure points and pain submission.

I've demonstrated this for others thus: I have the person extend his arm at his side. I tell him not to let me push it down. He doesn't.

I lay two fingers on a certain point and the arm usually collapses when I push again.

I then tell him to imagine a finger digging in or a spear fist striking that spot.

Gets the point across.

Josh <><

tenn mickey
04-18-2005, 14:58
Whitebuffalo,

If you are talking about Ed Clay's NashvilleMMA, then you can't go wrong there. Ed is a great guy and has some very tough students with a great Facility.

Good Luck!

DBradD
04-29-2005, 17:17
I'm by no means an expert, but perhaps this could be helpful.

I've thought about getting back into a martial art and my requirements seem to be roughly similar to yours -- useful self-defense, while not being able to spend 5 hours/day working out. I'd need self defense against clients, creditors, and my family if I trained that much.

I've thought about trying out an art that uses some kind of weapon, probably edged, because I'd be able to have it with me more often than other weapons. As I get older, slower, and stiffer, I'd like my chances better than if I chose a no-weapons art. About 10 years ago, I made it to green belt in jiu-jitsu and then life took over and I quit. Looking back now, I realize that the skills I learned in there were only applicable to sports-type, one-on-one (or perhaps one vs 2 really little and unskilled guys or kids), no weapons fights. Given this narrow applicability, I no longer consider arts like this to be realistic for actual self-defense, but primarily for sport and physical fitness.

For example, say I'm faced with two bad guys wanting to do harm. If I'm a grappler, then my skills are less than ideal because rolling around on the ground with one of them going for a choke would just get me hit over the head or stabbed by the 2nd guy. Similarly, if I'm a striker faced with two guys, one or both of them will probably close the distance enough to cause problems and now I have two guys all over me. Bad guys don't run in one at a time in real life like in the movies.

Give me a buddy with any kind of weapon and I like our chances against [fill in the blank with any one person...] without weapon or the ability to flee. Realizations like this were why I got into guns... Similarly, putting myself into the shoes of a bad guy, give me a buddy to attack [fill in his name again] and he has any kind of serious weapon (knife, etc) and it's a completely different story. One of us is going to get hurt and I have to do a different benefit/risk calculation.