Need a rifle for hunting -- Advice needed please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need a rifle for hunting -- Advice needed please

SVT-Sinister
04-15-2005, 13:45
Well i just got back from my first time hunting and i love it. I went hunting for hogs with my dad and his friends and i borrowed his winchester 270. I would like to buy my own hunting rifle but i dont know where to start. I would like something in a 308 or 30-06. Which rifle do you guys recommend?

Thanks

ECVMatt
04-15-2005, 14:21
but two of my favorites are the Ruger M77's and the Remington M 700's.

Both of these have economy range rifles all the way up to delux.

Both have proved accurate and reliable.

I would suggest you go to a store with many brands and check them all out to see if one fits you better. I would also suggest spending less on the rifle (Rem. ADL over a BDL) and use the money saved to buy a good scope. The best rifle in world won't shoot that good with a cheap scope. I like Luepold the best.

Hope this help you out.

Matt

noway
04-15-2005, 18:09
Most of the common mfg'd stuff out today would work. Just go check them out and get the caliber that you like and will work for the range & game animal(s) you plan on taking.

I myself like winchesters model 70s in nothing smaller than a .270. This caliber works great and like it's bigger brother (30-06 ), it has a wiiiiiide application range. From musk hogs to elk, and everything in between.

Arc Angel
04-15-2005, 20:01
:) Carried a Sako Finbear in 30-06 caliber for the past 30 years. Ain't never had any reason to get another rifle. (except, maybe, for the fun of it!) I've always felt that if you're willing to take the recoil from a 270, then, you might as well get into the 30 caliber stuff because it's going to bump you just the same! ;)

Now if I were going to buy a new, 'keeper' rifle today, it would probably be a Kimber; and, after a lifetime of shooting, my favorite all around caliber has to be the 6mm Rem in any of its several different varieties. :cool:

Sixgun_Symphony
04-16-2005, 10:06
What game species are you hunting? What kind of terrain? Open country or will it be the deep woods?

youngtacshooter
04-16-2005, 16:06
I have a .308 remington model 7. If you want a good shooting light weight gun that's it.

vafish
04-17-2005, 14:46
If you want a .308 or .30-06 in a bolt gun you have lots of choices.

Ruger 77
Remington 700 (stay away from the 710)
Winchester 70
Savage 110
Weatherby Vanguard
Sako's and Tika's are supposed to be nice as well.

You have a lot to consider. Sixgun already asked about the type of hunting and the terrain. But you also need to look at your budget (don't forget optics, get the good stuff), do you want traditional blued steel and wood stock or stainless and synthetic? Do you want a light weight carry it a lot, shoot it a little rifle or a heavier barreled, longer range shooting rig?

birddog1
04-17-2005, 15:25
check out www.24hourcampfire.com somebody has a used stainless/synthetic Winchester model 70 for sale. It's chambered in .308. Check out their classified section. I've bought several items through it.

Scott

OJ
04-17-2005, 15:37
I have a safe full and my M1A is in a class by itself as my favorite. However, we all have our own preferences for actions and my first is semiauto followed by lever (my Winchester 94). Although my dad started me out with bolt action for my 6th birthday in 1932, I've never really liked bolt action. The memory of my joy during WW II when the original Springfield '03 (which I liked - but admittedly, I haven't seen many guns I haven't liked) was replaced with that wonderful M1 Garand is still vivid to me. The M1A is basically the same rifle with a detachable magazine and some upgrade in the gas system. Easier to field strip, also.

I'd be the first to admit I'm probably in a distinct minority, however.

YMMV!!

;z ;z

akbound
04-23-2005, 16:29
For the type of hunting you've described there is virtually no difference between the .30-06 Springfield and the .308 Winchester. If heavier game may be a consideration the .30-06 does in fact handle the heavier bullets with more aplomb. Otherwise pick the rifle you like first, then the caliber! If the rifle you like happens to be a short action then the .308 Winchester will be the only choice between the two.

Best of luck to you!

Dave