Honor Harrington Series [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Honor Harrington Series

MrMurphy
04-16-2005, 06:04
Who else is a fan?

RiverVan
04-16-2005, 20:18
What is this series? Could you post more info? Author?

PilotKitten
04-16-2005, 20:21
Sci-fi loosely based on the Horatio Hornblower series. David Weber.

And no, I'm not a fan yet.... But Murph hasn't steered me wrong recommending books yet. I look forward to reading it. :)

MrMurphy
04-17-2005, 06:29
I own the whole series....wanna borrow them? (Pilotkitten that is)

PilotKitten
04-17-2005, 07:56
Originally posted by MrMurphy
I own the whole series....wanna borrow them? (Pilotkitten that is)

Sure why not? :)

MrMurphy
04-17-2005, 08:02
The series is:
(as far as I can remember, they're not in front of me)

On Basilisk Station
The Honor of the Queen
The Short Victorious War
Field of Dishonor
Flag in Exile
Honor among enemies
Echoes of Honor
Ashes of Victory
War of Honor

Along with Crown of Slaves ( a side-story book, along with several short story books that all connect with crown of slaves) and In the Shadow of Saganami, which is a full book, dealing with the "second generation" of people introduced throughout the various books and quite good by itself.

fnfalman
04-18-2005, 09:12
I liked it and have read every book on the series. Now, I don't know about the new offshoots. They seem to be boring.

MrMurphy
04-18-2005, 21:01
In the Shadow of Saganami was interesting.

If you've read the little short story-anthologies, Crown of Slaves makes MUCH more sense (that's where most of the characters are introduced). The major characters are (Zilwicki and crowd) are introduced in The Short Victorious War and fleshed out in the anthologies.

fnfalman
04-19-2005, 09:23
I read the anthologies as well. Crown of Slaves is just too damn boring with all of the political intrigues. Shadow of Saganami wasn't too bad, but I don't know. The genre might be done for.

jason10mm
04-21-2005, 06:00
I liked the earlier ones A LOT, but Honor just got too many things "right" while taking massive risks and the books started getting too into that 6 legged cat thing. Still fun, but the earlier intensity is gone, replaced by bloat. Haven't read the most recent one though.

MrMurphy
04-21-2005, 20:27
Some people take insane risks and barely get scratched.

I don't think Audie Murphy ever got a really serious wound, and he personally whacked 300 Germans, including while standing on an about-to-blow-and-on-fire tank with a .50 cal.

jason10mm
04-22-2005, 05:30
Yeah, but did he do it in EVERY battle?

I guess it's ok so long as you don't read them back to back. A friend of mine had them all and I ended up reading about 8 of them in a year period. Too fast, as Honor goes from being damn good into an invincible tactical machine. The Horatio Hornblower series did a better job of keeping the main character more "human", I guess. Anyway, they are still good books, I just like the earlier ones better.

If you like major space battles, I highly recommend Peter Hamiltons "Night's Dawn" series (Neutronium Alchemist, etc) as they are excellent sci-fi military books.

04-28-2005, 22:54
All great books. I did like the earlier books a bit better than the more recent ones, but they are all very good.

eisman
04-30-2005, 10:09
I have to admit I like the earlier books too.

Anyone can try them for free. Available on line here...

http://www.baen.com/