just wondering [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : just wondering

BP44
04-16-2005, 16:51
Hi fellas i am new to glock talk ,and new to the EMS field for that matter :) i just wanted to say hi and tell the whole world that i just passed my EMT-B with flying colors

now for the question, my job as a wildland firefighter really doesnt let me use my skills that i have just learned.i am on a 20 person handcrew that ems is overated and not needed, i eventually plan to make the transition into structure but need some advice as to whether to continue with medical or focus on the fire aspect of things such as a fire science degree. just curious if anyone has ever been here before and what benifited them the most
THANKS for the input;c

vbscout
04-18-2005, 10:42
Hello and welcome! The real question that will help you to decide is are you wanting to do this as a career or a volunteer. I am a volunteer that is wanting to go career. I am a Firfighter I and a state EMT-B. Most of the jobs that I have been looking at want you to do both Fire and EMS. So if you are looking for a career you want to keep up with the EMS or go higher. As for your fire training you should go and get it either way. Right now I am going to graduate with a BS from Ferrum College, have my Firefighter II by the end of May and my EMT. I have applied for many positions and I havn't really heard back from many places. To me the key to getting hired is have your Firefighter and ALS if you can. Good luck on what ever you do.

:cool:

Cavalry Doc
04-21-2005, 20:15
Over rated??!? Not Needed??!??

19 years in the medical profession (military) has taught me something.

No one loves a medic until some one is bleeding. And the amount of that love is directly proportional to the amount of blood that's already been lost.

I would hazard a guess that whoever told you this either could not get into the EMT course, or could not pass it. Keep your skills up, internalize and memorize them. Keep gear with you at all times. They will save lives some day. Either on the job, or on the side of the road. It'll happen. Bad things happen to good people every day, it would be a crying shame if you weren't prepared on the day that you happened across one of them.

Shame on whoever told you that EMT's are over rated or not needed. Kick 'em in the shins for me.

Doc

gloxter
04-21-2005, 21:07
BP44: Congratulations on passing your EMT-B. You didn't mention if you were placed on a 20 person Organized Crew (OC) or on a US Forest Service Crew, but either way, you should try to start looking at getting a part time ambulance job and working to perfect your patient assessments. While 911 experience would prove invaluable, the fact of the matter is that many of these jobs, at least here (West) are somewhat hard to come by (AMR). Many of the smaller private ambulance companies offer more flexibility to work around your schedule, whether that be family, college, or taking firefighter exams. People are always getting hired by fire agencies from such companies, meaning that though turnover may be high, it would afford you an opportunity to be hired. While I was employed by the USFS on an engine crew, I was offered an opportunity to serve as a line EMT on a large complex fire for a few days, and it was a great experience, but I knew that municipal/structural firefighting was what I wanted to do. Just remember that over 75%, perhaps as high as 85% of our calls are MEDICAL, and that's the reality. You will use your skills DAILY!
As far as obtaining your fire science degree, go for it. Work the wildland season, and apply as soon as you can into a community college in your area that offers AA/AS degrees in Fire. Attend, and successfully pass a state-approved community college fire academy as well. Some colleges offer "weekend" academies, though they take much longer. If you have a busy season, you should be able to save enough for a few month's rent (unless you live at home) and tuition/books for the academy. Mine was about 15 weeks in duration.
If you have direct FIRE experience, an EMT-B or "P", ambulance experience, an Associate's degree (preferably in fire) AND an academy under your belt you will be way ahead of the crowd. You also need to start looking into "taking a fire department interview". Here are a couple of links, books, etc. to get you headed in the right direction:
Captain Bob Smith's website is www.eatstress.com and look into Long Beach Batt.Chief Paul Lepore's two books..."Smoke Your Firefighter Interview, and "The Aspiring Firefighter's Two Year Plan". Let me know what you think. Have a safe season. -gloxter

PBR_Cowboy
04-25-2005, 10:55
Welcome...and Congrats;F you may have already but go out and have you a COLD beer...;c ;?

BP44
05-04-2005, 18:33
Thanks for all of the replys fellas and sorry for not keeping up with my own posts;g i appericiate all of the info and GLOXTER i am USFS and the problem that i keep running into is that my city is all paid and their a few volenteer stations close enough. i have a feeling i will keep on the band wagon until i get my EMT-I and work for my P latter when life and money allows.