Recumbent bike vs Elliptical trainer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recumbent bike vs Elliptical trainer

CheesyD
04-17-2005, 16:44
I'm trying to decide between a Vision Fitness R2200 recumbent bike and a Vision Fitness X6100 Elliptical trainer. The bike runs $1000 and the elliptical is $1400. I'm out of shape, have an occasional pain in my right hip (and left knee) so am looking for a low to no-impact workout.

I've heard it both ways.. the recumbent is less impact and the elliptical is less impact. Not sure which, if either, is true.

Not overly concerned about the difference in price between the two although $1400 is about as high as I'd want to go for this venture.

I hate gyms so refuse to go that route.

Hoping you experienced workout types can offer me some advice. Thanks in advance.

The elliptical can be seen here. (http://www.visionfitness.com/home/ellipticals/x6100/x6100.htm)

The recumbent can be seen here. (http://www.visionfitness.com/home/bikes/r2200/r2200.htm)

mhill
04-18-2005, 12:07
It's hard to say for sure. I'm definitely no expert. My thought is that you will get a better workout on the eliptical machine. However if you have joint issues that would cause pain by using this machine I wouldn't recommend it. You definitely need to go put a 30 minute workout on one of these before shelling out 1400.

My thought is the eliptical in general will burn more calories because you are standing up and not sitting down while using it. This might seem obvious but I thought I should mention it.

I do the gym thing because I get tired of machines and I often switch around to keep myself interested.

Don't ever hang clothes on it. :)

mhill

CheesyD
04-18-2005, 16:30
Thanks for the reply.

;c

DonGlock26
04-18-2005, 18:48
Ellipticals are close to running in effectiveness based on studies I've read. You will have to cycle longer to burn the same calories. I love the ellipticals at my gym.

Rich22
04-18-2005, 19:43
the ellipticals burn approximatly 30% more calories per given time than a bike. If i may ask why on earth would you think of spending 1000 on a bike? I got a pretty nice one for less than 400. I would guess it would come down to if you want a upper and lower body workout or just lower. If i had to say which had more "impact" than i would say elliptical but the difference is very small. I already have a reccumbant, if i had to choose and the price were comperable i would get an elliptical no question Good luck

Rich

testosterone
04-19-2005, 02:15
I vote for the eliptical.....much more effective workout....have one myself

txwrangler
04-19-2005, 09:59
I used to run 3-4 miles a day, but my knees began hurting, so I switched to an elliptical machine. I've been doing it for 40 minutes, 6 days a week since January, and my knees don't bother me a bit. This past weekend, I decided to go for a jog and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to jog 5 miles and not feel TOO tired (I honestly felt like I could have jogged 2 more miles). I think I'm in better shape now because of the elliptical machine, and my knees don't hurt!!!

Go with the elliptical!!!

DonGlock26
04-19-2005, 16:06
Originally posted by txwrangler
I used to run 3-4 miles a day, but my knees began hurting, so I switched to an elliptical machine. I've been doing it for 40 minutes, 6 days a week since January, and my knees don't bother me a bit. This past weekend, I decided to go for a jog and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to jog 5 miles and not feel TOO tired (I honestly felt like I could have jogged 2 more miles). I think I'm in better shape now because of the elliptical machine, and my knees don't hurt!!!

Go with the elliptical!!!

That's very good to hear!;c

I love the Lifefitness elliptical at my gym. I hope to buy one someday!

45acp4me
04-19-2005, 18:58
www.precor.com elliptical hands down. Better work out, low impact, and the best ergonomics of any elliptical trainer out there.

That being said, I'd never use a piece of gear if it were at my home, I need to get out to the gym. I lose all motivation once I walk in my door.

Regards,
Glen

jhfenton
04-21-2005, 09:11
Unless your injuries rule it out, I definitely vote for the elliptical too. As others have said, you can get quite an effective workout on an elliptical. When I need to skip a running workout due to a nagging pain, I find I can get a pretty good workout on an elliptical. I use a recumbent bike for cross-training and warm-ups as well, but I can't get as good of a work-out on it. I use the bike more as active rest than as an actual work-out.

mossy500camo
04-25-2005, 13:55
Originally posted by DonGlock26
Ellipticals are close to running in effectiveness based on studies I've read. You will have to cycle longer to burn the same calories. I love the ellipticals at my gym.

TRUE THAT!;)

I just cant see where one would benefit from a recumbent bike. Unless of course your disabled or something.

Justa_TXguy
04-25-2005, 19:05
I have bad knees and I use a Precor elliptical. Excellent machine. If you can afford it, I'd recommend it.

Skip the bike.

If you can, go to a gym (one of those try me for free for a day things) and briefly use both. See which one you dig. I am almost certain it will be the elliptical.

Allegra
04-26-2005, 10:31
Gwet a mountain bike and head for the hills
A four hour adventure will burn even more calories