Replacing My First Car [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing My First Car

NeedOneBad
04-17-2005, 19:06
Ive been driving for about a year now and I have torn up my boat. Ive learned alot and am very glad that I can now upgrade my car.

I want a luxury car. Ive got a motorcycle that has done a great job as a chick magnet and now I need something for dates and what have you.

A friend of mine has a 1986 BMW 735i that is in good condition. It runs and the interior and exterior are fair. He wants 1500 for it.

My plan is to buy it from him and redo the interior and exterior exactly how I want it.

What all should I look for in buying a used BMW? Any other comments, tips, or suggestions?

Rob1035
04-17-2005, 20:19
if you want a project, get that BMW. old german cars just love to have electrical gremlins and mechanical problems....

I'd only recommend an early 7 if you have good to excellent mechanical knowledge, a decent set of tools, and some BMW know how. If you have a bunch of money, buy a newer car...

SIGSAREBETTER
04-17-2005, 20:57
Originally posted by Rob1035
if you want a project, get that BMW. old german cars just love to have electrical gremlins and mechanical problems....

I'd only recommend an early 7 if you have good to excellent mechanical knowledge, a decent set of tools, and some BMW know how. If you have a bunch of money, buy a newer car...

What he said! I had a mid-eighties Audi 5000 before my Focus, and while I truly loved that car and felt is was very ahead of it's time, it had all manner of problems that finally compelled me to buy a brand-new car. If you're not mechanically savvy.....save yourself the headache.