Gobble, Gobble… BOOM! (Michigan Spring Turkey Opener) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gobble, Gobble… BOOM! (Michigan Spring Turkey Opener)

Michigun
04-19-2005, 07:47
Got my Michigan spring turkey yesterday… opening day treated me well again this year! ^c

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/G3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/B2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/UC1.jpg

Beard Length = 9-1/2”
Spur Length = 1-1/4”
Weight = 25lbs (just a hair over)
Location = Around my house.
Distance = 15-Yards
Weapon = Beretta 390 12-gauge
Ammunition = Remington 3” Hevi-Shot

I hope everyone will be or has been just as successful… man I love turkey hunting!

f1b32oPTic
04-19-2005, 11:33
thats a biggun!

Michigun
04-19-2005, 12:24
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
thats a biggun!

You aren't kidding my man! ;P

This was thee largest turkey I have ever shot or have personally seen for that matter! (Not talking beard length or anything like that of course, just body size… not meaning to sound like I’m bragging either here, I’m just amazed by it is all!)

This picture shows the body size a little better:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/C2.jpg

noway
04-19-2005, 16:37
yeap thoose easterns are some big birds.Great job.

I have one more weekend and trying to get my second bird for the season.

Michigun
04-19-2005, 19:50
Thanks for chiming in noway & good luck on that 2nd bird!

By the way, I got the weight on’em... @ 25lbs he’s still pretty big, but there have definitely been larger ones shot. ;)

ithaca_deerslayer
04-20-2005, 12:57
Michigun,

I'm getting pretty darn sick and tired of your deer and turkey hunting pictures
;a

Man, if I was going to your part of the country, I'd love to see the area where you are hunting ;c

Michigun
04-21-2005, 08:18
Originally posted by ithaca_deerslayer
Michigun,

I'm getting pretty darn sick and tired of your deer and turkey hunting pictures
;a

In that case I’ll have to specially e-mail you all of the pictures, for each series, that don’t make the “Glocktalk Cut”! ;f

Man, if I was going to your part of the country, I'd love to see the area where you are hunting ;c

And you would be more then welcome to do just that sir! ^c

Getting off topic a little bit… I only wish that Michigan had better whitetail buck/deer management (that way you could be truly impressed if ya visited me ithaca_deerslayer ^c)… there’s no reason why most of the record bucks taken in the U.S. couldn’t be from right here. The surrounding states have been whooping are butts! They’ve shown what good management can really do! We kill too many 1st year bucks… they never get a chance to mature… I’m guilty of this myself, but if I waited for matured bucks only I’d never shoot a buck at all… you may have noticed that I didn’t post any buck pictures this year? I’m embarrassed how they look to the other, better managed states… around here they’re something to be fairly proud of, but in other states you’d be either looked down on for not passing them up or down right breaking the law for not passing them up! 2-1/2 year old bucks around here are rare, VERY rare in fact… they just plain don’t live that long.

Right or wrong, I plan on “going with the flow” here till the “flow” is changed across the board… I know too many guys that wait for big mature bucks & go venison’less because of it. I’m going to keep working with what’s available here.

P.S. Don’t get me wrong, there are places in MI where bucks can actually mature, but those places are getting fewer & fewer.

Michigun
04-21-2005, 09:01
By the way, here is the turkey that I called in for my wife early the same day I took mine… it’s a young tom with a 4” beard, but my wife was happy with it, none the less, due to lack of available, future hunting time. It came in side-by-side with another tom that could have been its twin, but I resisted the urge to make it a double with my own tag. (We only get one tag pre turkey season in MI… I think that will change soon however… we did get a fall turkey hunt though a few years ago… that was nice.) Secretly I was hoping that I hadn’t made a mistake by not taking him as ya just never know! ;) Glad I waited now, or course! ;f

My wife was a little upset that I didn’t shoot, because she had plans for me if I got a turkey right away… don’t know what she was thinking because either way I had/have a good friend scheduled starting this Saturday morning for his own turkey… & if that works out it’s on to the next guy (or girl) in line. ;)

See attachment for the picture.

ithaca_deerslayer
04-21-2005, 09:25
I had two hens walk across my pasture last week. And I saw a huge tom in a field about a mile away. Also saw some tracks over winter in my woods.

But the season doesn't start until May. I don't have a lot of turkey activity on my property.

Michigun
04-21-2005, 13:16
I don't have a lot of turkey activity on my property.

Don’t fret too much about that chief… if they take off there anything like they did here in Michigan you’ll soon be overrun with’em! ^c