Who can play the whole "Freebird" solo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who can play the whole "Freebird" solo?

lonewolf01
04-21-2005, 10:48
It's taken me some time but I can safely say that I can play it almost note for note. I'm talking about the extended live version from Skynyrd's live album, "One more from the road". It is a bear to learn not because it is technically hard (we're talking major pentatonic here) but the style. Allen Collins plays it and what a solo it is.

Anybody else?

reconvic
04-21-2005, 12:18
Remember there are 3 guitars I can play one part at a time.

lonewolf01
04-21-2005, 15:19
Originally posted by reconvic
Remember there are 3 guitars I can play one part at a time.

Yes, but only one plays the lead (Allen Collins). The other guitar that solos doesn't come in until about 1/2 through the solo and then mimicks the lead. The third guitar plays rhythum only..(G-Bb-C)

Berto
04-21-2005, 16:33
Yes.I have the silver and Gold two CD set with the live freebird...worked it out over the years of repeated listenings.

dgg9
04-21-2005, 16:43
Originally posted by Jake01
Anybody else?

It's ok, but they all got better as guitar players later on. At the time of that live album it was a lot of repeated pentatonic riffs. By the time of their last album, they were taking better shape, playing more originally.

lonewolf01
04-22-2005, 06:37
Originally posted by dgg9
It's ok, but they all got better as guitar players later on. At the time of that live album it was a lot of repeated pentatonic riffs. By the time of their last album, they were taking better shape, playing more originally.

I agree. It was most likely because the were maturing and Steve Gaines joined the band and brought along some great playing ability. Just listen to "That Smell" and "I know a little"...awesome playing.

Damn plane crash!

nickg
04-22-2005, 09:48
Who can play the whole "Freebird" solo?

my question is, who would WANT to? ? ? ;Q ;f

lonewolf01
04-22-2005, 13:42
Originally posted by nickg
Who can play the whole "Freebird" solo?

my question is, who would WANT to? ? ? ;Q ;f

Because it's a challenge since it's probably the longest continuous solo ever. All musicians want a challenge.

reconvic
04-22-2005, 15:39
The hardest I learnt was the Outlaws song Green grass and high tides.http://www.hunt101.com/img/277802.gif

Glockerel
04-25-2005, 05:50
I can do it- but on the mandolin. Melodies/solos come so much easier when you are tuned in 5ths.

I agree with the Steve Gaines comment. He was the best guitarist Skyrnrd ever had IMO. He was THE strat master!