Need CPAT advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need CPAT advice

jbcarr25
04-24-2005, 21:25
I just attended the orientation for the cpat test with the department I'm attempting to get into and I was hoping some of you experienced firefighters out there might give me some advice as to how I can prepare myself for this test. I go to the gym five days a week and workout and I also run one to two miles a day. Is this enough or is there something I can be doing in addition that will better prepare me? Any insights provided will be greatly appreciated!!!

Glkster19
04-25-2005, 07:02
Buy or make a 50lb vest and do your workout wearing it. I would think walking, stairclimbing with it anyways.

Not speaking from experience, just what others have said. I got hired long before CPAT made it to MI.......thank God!!

Good luck.

jbcarr25
04-25-2005, 14:08
That sounds like a really good idea, thanks!

FlaFF
04-26-2005, 07:40
Get on a stairclimber for 30-60 min several times a week. Don't worry about wearing a weighted vest, just up the speed till you're doin about120 floors in 30 min. If at all possible try to use a stairclimber thats like a mini-escalator, rather than the ones with legs stickin out that you stand on. The escalator one is what they will use at the test. Also, don't put your hands on the rail, get used to walking without them on there. It's much tougher that way and you will be doing it that way for the test.
If you're in the gym 5 days a week on a good program the CPAT won't be a problem. I took it when I was trying to get hired a few years back. Quite honestly I thought it was a joke. Both of the other tests I took for other Depts were much more challenging. If you get through the stairclimber part of the CPAT, your home free.
Don't sweat it.

Just found this online, should give you a good idea what it'll be like: http://www.floridafirejobs.org/cpat/CPAT.pdf

Good Luck,
FlaFF