Rainy Day Turkey Hunting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Day Turkey Hunting?

sp3worker
04-25-2005, 22:02
It looks like it will be rainy all weekend for the opening weekend of turkey season here in Indiana. This is my first year hunting turkey, I was wondering if turkeys are active in rainy weather?

Michigun
04-26-2005, 11:20
Some of my BEST turkey hunting has been in the rain... in my experience they are just as active, if not MORE active, in the rain.

During fall MI turkey hunts I've killed ALL of my gobblers in the rain... as you can probably see in the attached picture the double bearded tom I took last fall is still wet from the rain. ^c

mudfootball
04-28-2005, 15:40
i am one who never misses a chance to get out when turkeys are getting rained on, now i dont screw around with some of the incredible electrical storms we see in the spring, so if its lightning and/or pouring, im passed out on the back seat, but the second it stops a field edge in an area where you know there are birds is awsome, i dont think they like being wet and as soon as the sun peaks they want to be out where it can dry there feathers, or thats my reasoning behind why they head straight for open fields. so be out there!
kt

TScottW99
04-28-2005, 16:06
In the rain I like to hit one of several areas that turkeys prefer in wet weather. Fields, Logging roads, open forest, pine forest edges or open ridges. With rain the turkeys vision is messed with, they will prefer the more open areas to help with their sight.

sp3worker
04-28-2005, 16:25
Looks like we will be getting light rain all weekend, so I hope it works out for me. I have from Friday till Tuesday to make it happen.
Thanks guys.

CanyonMan
05-03-2005, 09:21
Exactly, what "Michigun" said!!

Do it! ;)

CanyonMan