I want a new rig. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I want a new rig.

lomfs24
04-25-2005, 23:16
I am looking for a new rig. Currently I have a 2 meter mobile that is in the shop for mic repairs. I am borrowing a friends dual band mobile in the mean time. And I have kind of fell in love with the dual band. The one that I am borrowing is a Yaesu FT-8500. It's pretty good but there are some quirks to it like a PITA to program w/o software.

So I am looking for a dual band mobile, field programable, Alpha-numeric display. Here's the kicker. If I am going to buy a new rig that is dual band I want it to have cross band or in band repeater function for a mobile temp search and rescue repeater.

It is not a requirement but it would be a plus if it would also cover 6 meter making it a triband. Does such a critter exist?

lomfs24
04-26-2005, 10:18
The two that I have found are the Yaesu FT-8900 and the Kenwood TM-D700A. Does anyone have any suggestions on either one or does anyone have a better idea?

Who all makes radios besides Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, Alinco?

Does Motorola make ham equipment?

ChuckyT
05-18-2005, 23:31
I have a Kenwood TM732A Dual Band mobile I would like to trade. Any interest?
-Chuck

lomfs24
05-19-2005, 00:39
Depends on the radio and what you want to trade for.

Tell me a bit about the radio and what you want to trade for. If I like the radio and if I have what you want, we might be able to work something out.

Does this radio have a crossband repeater function?

GSD17
05-19-2005, 07:19
Let me give you a +1 on the Yaesu FT-8900R, it is a great radio, I have one with a Comet UHV-4 antenna. The rig is a quadband ( 2m, 440, 6m, and 10m, of course with RX from 26-999mHz roughly. If you get this one, DEFINATELY get the software, it is also a PITA to program without it, but it has crossband repeat, alphanumeric display, can get it with a DTMF mic. Very quality radio. I am very very pleased with mine, I have had it for about a year now.

lomfs24
05-19-2005, 08:51
GSD17, Do you know if the FT-8800 has an alphanumeric display or not? I was looking at the FT-8800 too. It seems to be pretty much the same radio as the FT-8900 but without the 6 and 10 Meter band. Which is fine with me because
A) as a tech I cannot use the 10 Meter band. (I am working on code right now to upgrade)
B) No one around here uses 6 Meter.

ChuckyT
05-19-2005, 23:46
Originally posted by lomfs24
Depends on the radio and what you want to trade for.

Tell me a bit about the radio and what you want to trade for. If I like the radio and if I have what you want, we might be able to work something out.

Does this radio have a crossband repeater function?

Yupper. It has Cross band repeat. All the specs are on the net just do a quick google search. It's an excellent rig, just thought I'd offer since you were looking for a dual band mobile. If you wanted to work something out, I'd even toss in the duplexer. It comes with manual and box. I picked it up used at the time. PM me if interested.
I'm looking for a G19 depending on the deal I can toss in cash if necessary also looking for preban mags for a g23 and cash works good also! Im open to ideas.

GSD17
05-20-2005, 15:03
Yes I believe the 8800 has alphanumeric display as well, they are pretty much the same radio like you say without 10 and 6. I hardly ever use 6m, every now and then we have simplex nets and check in on 6 occasionally, I have my general theory, but not code, so I cant use 10 yet either.

martho
05-26-2005, 09:28
The Kenwood TMv-7A is a good radio for 2/440. The blue display is a bit tough to read, but the radio is easily programmed from the panel/mic. The prices have really dropped recently. The radio does crossband repeat, V/V U/V V/U U/U which is really nice. It has a remote kit so you can remote in the car where ever you want the head unit.

The FT-8900 would be a fun radio in a few years when the cycle comes back. You can play 52.525 and 29.600 from your car while driving which is always fun when 6m and 10m have propagation.