For all you domestic diehards; which cars really are American-made... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For all you domestic diehards; which cars really are American-made...

vart
04-26-2005, 21:32
Found this website; some interesting facts about just how much of the current domestic cars are really American made.
Apparently, there hasn't been a 100% American-made car for a long time, and the closest is recent years was the Oldsmobile Intrigue, and we all know how reliable those turned out;Q

http://www.usstuff.com/cars2005.htm

epsylum
04-27-2005, 18:23
Not many large car companies make thier cars completely in that country. Mostly it's all the litle things (electric motors, circuitry, etc.) that are outsourced. We can at least feel happy in the fact that our car companies at least own themselves. My uncle had a newspaper from when he was in England on a buisiness trip. It had an article talking about how almost no british car company is british owned. Most of the biggies are owned by...... who else, Americans.

3 out of the top 4 car companies are American (or has someone pushed Dodge/Chrsyler out?).

I gotta give Toyota creidt for being #2 now. They do make and awesome product and they make most of their vehicles here now.

vart
04-27-2005, 20:45
Originally posted by epsylum

3 out of the top 4 car companies are American (or has someone pushed Dodge/Chrsyler out?).

Uh, Dodge/Chrysler is now Daimler Chrysler. It was bought by the Germans around 3 years ago. They are now officially a German company.

epsylum
04-28-2005, 07:16
Originally posted by vart
Uh, Dodge/Chrysler is now Daimler Chrysler. It was bought by the Germans around 3 years ago. They are now officially a German company.

I thought it was a merger thing. They are both equal partners, nobody owns the other.

fnfalman
04-28-2005, 09:22
Sorry to disappoint you. Daimler is at the front for a reason.

mhambi
04-28-2005, 09:35
90% US/Canadian Content?!?!

so is that like 20% US and 70% Canadian? If I was going to buy a car based on it's US content, I'd like to know what that is. Not some misleading 'North American' number....

epsylum
04-28-2005, 10:54
Originally posted by fnfalman

No dissapointment.

I have never owned a dodge/chrysler nor plan to and I'll never be able to afford a benz.

Thanks for clearing that up though.

fnfalman
04-28-2005, 13:33
Are you kidding me? You can afford a Merc. They have those supercharged 4-bangers go for cheap.

epsylum
04-28-2005, 15:25
Are you kidding me? You can afford a Merc. They have those supercharged 4-bangers go for cheap.

Ummmm, nope. I doubt I could afford a Kia right now.

saluki9
05-05-2005, 10:34

How about this, it's neither. DC is a public company, so it's owned by the shareholders.

Most of the senior management is however German.