Getting back in shape, how does this look? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in shape, how does this look?

W Turner
04-28-2005, 11:37
I have been overweight for most of my life, but I had always been active before, so I was in decent condition despite the extra poundage. Two years ago I was promoted to a desk job and have since gained about 35lbs. over the extra 25 or so I was already carrying.

Now I am at 335lbs. and have a very sedentary lifestyle and all of the health complications to go with it (mildly elevated BP and cholesterol, easily winded, lower back pain) and I am going to make a change. My goal is to get back down to 260lbs. (+/- 10 lbs.) and to do away with the lower back pain. I am 6'8" so the 260 lb. number is right in line with a healthy weight for my size.

Here is my plan:

Diet:
1-cut out the junk food, when I do have to eat out because of work, eat healthy
2-drink at least 100 oz. of water a day
3-limit my dairy to 3 servings per day (I have drank a gallon of milk a day at times w/o realizing it), mostly skim milk
4- eat 5 smaller meals per day, not counting a post-workout whey protein shake
5-limit complex carbs (whole grain breads, cereal, potatoes, pasta) to 1-2 servings daily, usually at breakfast and right before a work out
6-Reduce my cholesterol to a healthy level by reducing my red meat and eating more oily fish (salmon and tuna) and replacing butter with Smart Balance for everything except cooking

Workouts:
-30 min. of cardio x 6 days a week in the am to go with this workout schedule...

Sunday-off including cardio and a cheat meal
Monday-Squat, Stiff-legged deadlift, standing calf raises
Tuesday-Bent Row, DB Bench press, Triceps extensions, barbell curls, crunches
Wednesday-Cardio only
Thursday-Deadlift, Leg press, Seated Calf Raises
Friday-BB Bench Press, Lat Pulls, Barbell Curls, Triceps extensions
Saturday- Cardio + yard work/shooting/general weekend chores

All of my workouts will include 10min of cardio at beginning and end to serve as a warm-up/cool-down and my goal is be at the gym no longer than 1 hour.

I used to lift regularly in HS and college, so I know how to use proper form for the squat and deadlift(s).

I plan to use this workout schedule for 8 weeks and re-evaluate then based on weight and measurements.

What do ya'll think? Am I missing anything? I have already been cleared to start a fitness program by my doctor and given my lifestyle for the past few years, any regular physical activity is a vast improvement.

Thanks,
Bull

California Jack
04-28-2005, 17:16
I think you should follow the plan layed out in the book "Body For Life".

testosterone
04-29-2005, 08:04
your training is ok....im not a big fan of working upperbody one day and then lower body the next. I would rather work one muscle group each day for the best results....Arms, Delts, Legs, Chest, Back, rest, rest and do it again. doing cadio before is a good idea but you just want to do enough to warm up...dont do cardio after your training.

Do count your post workout meal and your shakes. you want 7 balanced meals...high protein, mod fat, low carb....an atkins style diet, ive seen it work wonders. drink atleast 1 gallon of water a day....the more the better.....you will have to pee alot but ohh well.
Take vitamin C (atleast 1g), Vitamin E (1000 IU), a mulit vitamin and a multi mineral. I use only Great Earth brand. Take protein before you sleep also....best would be in the am, ater training and before bed.....
it will be tough as hell but you can do it..good luck

Justa_TXguy
04-29-2005, 13:57
Skip the vitamin E.

If you want to lose weight you should focus on cardio. Lifting is still great, but focus on cardio.

I am 6'5" and have gone from 325 to 272. Trying to get to maybe 240.

I still lift maybe once a week. I do it more to maintain muscle then to gain muscle.

W Turner
04-29-2005, 15:37
Justa Txguy.....I know that cardio is best for fat-burning, but I absolutely hate cardio with a passion and what I will be doing is the most I am willing to commit to.

Unfortunately, I am somewhat limited as to what I can do cardio-wise due to arthritis in my hip and a knee that's missing some cartilage. The only gym that is local to me is geared more toward lifting too, it's not really a fitness center so I have to work with what I have. I used to live in an area that had a brand new YMCA with an Olympic pool. I swam every day and felt great. Then I went and bought a house.....lol.

Testosterone-My goal is not to pack on mass, it's just to lose weight, moderately increase strength and increase my conditioning. Preferably in that order. That's one reason I am doign the lifitng the way I am. The mass gains will come later after I have lost much of the excess blubber. This is why the workouts are strictly upper body/lower body. I am just trying to build a good foundation. the cardio will be done in the am as soon as I wake up, the lifting will be done in the evening probably around 6pm or so.

Trying to balance an 8-5 mon.-fri. job, a newborn at home, a wife, a house that needs repairs, and getting back in shape is a full-time job by itself...lol.

Bull

testosterone
04-29-2005, 16:07
skip vitamin e?? why? its a fat soluible anti-oxidant......

you also need to remember that building muscle burns fat. Trust me, you wont get huge and massive by just lifting and taking protein. not unless you are a genetic freak. sounds like you have made up your mind so there was no point in asking for opiions.
good luck with your quest.

California Jack
04-30-2005, 14:24
Bull, a few things about "Body For Life". It only requires 20 minutes of cardio 3 days per week on non-lifting days. Plays to your cardio hatred.

Second, three lifting days per week. Lifting workouts can be accomplished in 45 minutes or so. It is a good program for busy people. It alternates upper and lower body like you are interested in doing.

As a side bar, Test and I disagree about training body parts. I don't understand why most people(except for maybe bodybuilders and sport specific exercises) would single out a bodypart to train. After all the body is one piece. My lifting goals are similar to yours, and I train full body 3x per week.

Jack

testosterone
05-01-2005, 15:02
Originally posted by California Jack
Bull, a few things about "Body For Life". It only requires 20 minutes of cardio 3 days per week on non-lifting days. Plays to your cardio hatred.

Second, three lifting days per week. Lifting workouts can be accomplished in 45 minutes or so. It is a good program for busy people. It alternates upper and lower body like you are interested in doing.

As a side bar, Test and I disagree about training body parts. I don't understand why most people(except for maybe bodybuilders and sport specific exercises) would single out a bodypart to train. After all the body is one piece. My lifting goals are similar to yours, and I train full body 3x per week.

Jack

From what I gather from your posts you are simply looking to look fit. My goals are to maximize muscle gains to the extreme. That dictates a heavy training program with target muscle groups. Please understand, I havent read a few books and claim to be an expert. Most of the advice I give out is from my own personal trail and error. You seem to be a big follower of Bill Phillips and his Body For Life. Its a great 'fitness' book. Its not an ideal bodybuilding book. I used to follow Bill Phillips when he was living in Venice and printing an underground newsletter geared towards the hardcore bodybuilding enthusiast. He started his whole empire by catering to the hardest of hardcore bodybuilders. His newsletter evolved into MuscleMedia 2000 which was the only magazine to lay down the facts about anabolics and other ergogenic aids...not many agree with their usage but I find the topic competely facinating. How different drugs intereact with different parts of the body to give certain results...to me that is just fascinating. Phillips soon realized that there was alot more money in the mainstream fitness population (which it seems you belong to). I believe he sold the entire EAS operation for well over 40 million dollars.
Back to training specific bodyparts...the advantage of doing one part a week is that it gives your body enough time to recoup. Without chemical enhancement or being a genetic freak (which none of us prob is) it would more then likely lead to over training working the same muscle groups multiple times in one week.
To each his own. We can agree to disagree. All I can say is that with my method I went from a skinny 140-145 at 5-8 to over 240 carrying arund 10 percent bodyfat give or take.
either way good luck to the both of you

California Jack
05-01-2005, 16:12
Sort of. Body For Life and Bill Phillips were a good starting point for me. At different times in my life I did things like run 10 ks or ride centuries. At 6'2", I got down to an anemic 170 pounds while biking. Than kids and the things that take time took their toll. I got in pathetic condition, soft adn fat. I followed BFL and got in decent shape and lost 40 ponds. I think BFL is a good starting point for people. I think BFL is a protocol that meets Bulls goals.

Since than, I train for for practical strength and conditioning. I try Oly Lifting.I still incorporate Phillips "Hi-Point" cardio style on occasion along with sprinting and sled dragging. But as far as weights go, his BFL porgram seems to bodybuilding-like for my taste. I keep my reps at 5 and lower.

One thing about training full body 3x weekly is that it allows for family commitments. And since I don't really care if I have bicep peaks it works for me.

Now maybe I am way off base here but I think most people lift weight for strength and conditioning. That's why it surprises me that they try isolation style.

I certainly don't mean anything personal. I've always had a lot of respect for your opinions.

Good luck to you too.

Oh yeah, I'm always open to trying new things too. I'm going to try WSB style training soon.

Jack

Mister Joshua
05-01-2005, 21:28
10 steps to becoming a WSB Zealot

1: Shave head, grow goatee.
2: Eat 5 Monster Thickburgers per day from Hardees... for the rest of your natural life.
3: Get a beanie with flames on it.
4: Buy all the Mel Siff books, but don't read them.
5: Spend 45 minutes setting up green jumpstretch bands to your squat bar and rack. Do one set of triples. Eat a cheeseburger and drink 2 quarts of Gatorade. Go home and post your log on your favorite message board.
6: The next day, do light squats for 45 minutes as a "feeder" workout for the blisteringly hard green-band triples you did yesterday.
7: Do all the AAS you can get your hands on. Make sure your stones shrink to pebbles, your face looks like a moon-shaped pineapple, and even with the shaved head, people know you are going bald.
8: Use some sort of gritty smokeless tobacco product, and make sure that the flakes are all over your teeth during a max lift.
9: Get in at least 300 internet arguements attacking HIT and any powerlifting program besides WSB. Make sure you call Arthur Jones, Ken Liestner, and Mike Mentzer NAZI Jedis, at least 4 times in each arguement.
10: Deadlift once every lunar eclipse.

:)

W Turner
05-02-2005, 07:35
Testosterone- You're right, lifting and gaining some mass will lead to it being easier to lose weight and keep it off. I am not a genetic freak (other than my height....lol) so my concern is not getting "too big". My focus is just on building a good foundation to add mass too later. I would love to be 6'8"/275 with 10% bodyfat. One day I may do that, but for right now I would be happy with 6'8"/260 and be able to wear half of the clothes in my closet. As my overall fitness improves, I do intend to shift to more of a bodybuilding-type workout.
And to a degree, yes, my mind is pretty much made up that this is best for me. I was just basically wanting people to take a look at my routine and see if I had any obvious holes in it.

California Jack- I have looked at BFL and I think it is a good program. What I am doing is actually pretty similar except:

1. 5 meals a day instead of 6 - this works better with my daily schedule

2. My lifting days are split the way they are because I always seem to run out of gas when I do a full body workout that "feels" like a workout. This way I can keep my workouts at 1 hour or less and not feel wiped out when I get home.

3. My cardio is 6 days a week because my first priority is to get the excess weight off. By getting the weight off I will hurt less and my quality of life will improve. To give you an idea, if I am on my feet for more than 30 min. at one time, my lower back tightens up to the point that sitting down is painful. Both my chiropractor and my MD have said that the #1 thing that will help this is to lose weight so that is where my priority is right now.

Thanks everybody,
Bull

California Jack
05-02-2005, 16:23
Bull,

My lifting days are split the way they are because I always seem to run out of gas when I do a full body workout that "feels" like a workout. This way I can keep my workouts at 1 hour or less and not feel wiped out when I get home

BFL splits workouts into upper body and lower body workouts. They should take under 45 minutes to complete. The full body workouts are what I do now.

As far as cardio goes, I found that the BFL method three times per week worked for me for shedding about 40 pounds. Additionally, the weight program is done with minimal rest, I think that contributes to the weight loss.

Good luck,
Jack

garythenuke
05-02-2005, 17:59
I was/am in exactly the same boat as you are. I do some running on a treadmill (barefoot). I also do stuff by a guy named Matt Furey, and I subscribe to MILO magazine. For weight equipment and inspiration check out www.ironmind.com . I lost a ton of weight when I took up olympic style lifting.
If you want one quick workout, do cleans with an overhead press. Follow up with deadlifts and finally some front squats. If you still have any juice left do pullups. You have worked nearly every practical muscle group and you are only out about 30 minutes. If you want to burn your boilermaker harder, drop the weight on the bar and do more reps and sets. To put on more muscle, do the same exercises with more weight and fewer reps and sets. For example, 80-90% of 1RM for three sets of two or three reps.
Deadlifts and cleans set my back straight, and helped me drop blubber from my waist line. I am not selling anything, I am just very enthusiastic about this subject.
If you are trying to drop weight, you need to be in calorie debt. There are no magical foods or drinks. Your body responds best to real food, not chalk. If you are only in 100 calorie debt per day from adjusting your diet, and increase your output by only 100 calories,this will give a net 200 calorie per day debt, you will be on the fast lane to losing fat. Too much more than this and you risk injury and burnout. I have two kids, a mortgage, and a 12 hour shift job that is 75 minutes from my home. I understand time constraints brother. Good luck.

garythenuke

California Jack
05-02-2005, 18:48
Hey Gary,

For starters I use to live in SLO. I live in Okla. City now. My next door neghbor is about 70. He was born in Paso Robles where his father was sheriff. Sorry about the thread hijack, back to training.

My real question to you is; Do you do the full OLs? Squat style or split style? I like your style of training. BTW,in Schmitz' OL video, he says that a great way to lose "excess tissue" is to do the OLs in sets of 5.

I'm attemting to teach myself the OLs. Don't have the time to get coaching. I'm trying to learn the Old School split style. I think this style is more forgiving of poor pulling.

My workout is something like;

I choose one from each catagory (squat push pull)and do a 5x5 workout

push; Press, Inc. Bench, Bench
squat/hip movement; front squat, squat, deadlift
pull; bent rows, dumbell swings,shrugs, chins

Than to finish each workout I do 2 cleans followed by one jerk for 5 to 10 sets and 5 to 10 snatch singles followed by gut work.

Jack

garythenuke
05-02-2005, 19:36
Hi California Jack,

What a small world. Why did you head to Oklahoma? Not that I can blame you. I imagine you and your neighbor would not recognize Paso or SLO anymore. Paso has nearly 30k people now.

I am in the same boat as you in terms of OLY form. I have read as much as I can, and watched all the videos I can. I have a few friends who do it as well, but no real coaching.. Check the MILO magazines and ironmind.com , they have everything.

I love the strongman stuff. Steve Jeck and the other rock lifters are very inspiring. Huffing stones over your head, tossing big barrels, and snatching duffel bags filled with sand do things that no barbell ever will. This may be a topic for another thread.

Your workouts look good to me. I cannot do any benching as it kills my shoulders. I do weighted dips, coupled with overhead presses, that hits everything I need. IMHO a big chest is a liability in the real world. And since I am married I do not have to strut and preen anymore;Q .

As far as jerk form, I am heading towards the squat style. I have a hard time with coordination necessary for a split. They also seem to affect my leg balance. One leg tended to get larger and stronger on top, while the other got loarger and stronger in the back. As I am into this for functional strength and not for competition and records, the squat style works best for me. I also started trying overhead squats. They helped my shoulders and back immensly.

I love the snatch. I am still working on the final lock out. I tend to press a little at the end, I just do not trust my elbows and shoulders yet. 5x5's are great for burning weight. They are a great balance between the high rep cardio-type and the tendon/ligament building 2x3 or 3x3's. I very much like the 5x5's.

One of my goals is to be able to do a one handed snatch with my wife's bodyweight. She is only 110# thankfully so I do not think it is out of the question. I just have to get off my butt and do it. My motivation is to get as strong as possible while staying as light as possible. The eastern weightclass lifters are my hero's.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Gary

Animal Mother
05-03-2005, 02:11
Originally posted by Mister Joshua
10 steps to becoming a WSB Zealot Sorry to further hijack the thread, but I was checking out your website and wanted to ask the origin of the obvious, yet brilliant, statement "Gravity hates you, Hate it back."

Mister Joshua
05-03-2005, 08:07
Originally posted by Animal Mother
Sorry to further hijack the thread, but I was checking out your website and wanted to ask the origin of the obvious, yet brilliant, statement "Gravity hates you, Hate it back."

I hate to say I don't have a source for that. I kinda came up with it. It is loosely based on the following quotes...

"Gravity is a harsh mistress"
- The Tick

"God hates me" - Sgt. Murtagh
"Hate him back, works for me" - Sgt. Riggs (Lethal weapon)

Animal Mother
05-03-2005, 16:59
Originally posted by Mister Joshua
I hate to say I don't have a source for that. I kinda came up with it. It is loosely based on the following quotes...

"Gravity is a harsh mistress"
- The Tick

"God hates me" - Sgt. Murtagh
"Hate him back, works for me" - Sgt. Riggs (Lethal weapon) It's a great piece of wisdom, and with your permission, I'll steal it for my own inspiration.

W Turner
05-06-2005, 10:40
***UPDATE***

Well, I am almost finished with my first week of my new regimen so I have a few points...

-I AM SORE!!!!!! I know this is a good thing, but I did my monday routine and my legs are just now getting back to normal. I take vitamin E (salmon oil) twice a day and this seems to haev helped, along with my early monrning walks. I did upper body on Tuesday and my chest and arms are still screaming. Didn't even feel like a real hard workout either.

-I am seriously thinking about going to just lifting MWF in place of the MT-RF like I originally planned. I actually shifted my Thursday and Friday workouts to Friday and Saturday to give me more time to get over the soreness. I will keep the Cardio, but may up it to 2x 30 min. per day on the days I don't lift.

-The am walks are going fine, I have been able to consistently make 1.8 miles in 30 minutes. Not exactly a blistering pace, but ok for me. I have a few low, but long hills that are good for keeping the heart rate up. Need to get a radio to listen to, helps me keep a better pace.

-I have lost a lot more strength than I thought. I only did squats and standing calf raises with 135 and I thought I was going to puke. I did my bench with 40lb. dumbbells and my chest is still sore. Makes me realize how quickly you lose mass. When I quit lifting two years ago, I was working out with 155 for 12 reps, not exactly Dorian Yates numbers, but still not too shabby.

Bull

California Jack
05-06-2005, 20:25
Numbers don't matter. You're doing great. Keep it up.

garythenuke
05-06-2005, 23:29
Bull,
Congrats on a good workout. Do not rush yourself. The worst thing you can do is think too much about where you used to be. Your body will respond to the training if you eat REAL FOOD and get enough rest. Three days a week now is just fine.
You have to gain strength before you can gain mass, assuming mass is what you are really after. If you are still sore after two days, take another day off. You are better resting fifty percent too much than ten percent too little. Once you have a year of regular and injury free training under your belt you can think about doubling up on workouts and other advanced stuff.
From your posts, I am assuming you are not a teenager or early 20 something anymore. Your body needs more time to respond to workouts. Again, the worst thing you can do is too much too soon. You are doing great, stay with it and do not get injured, do not get burnt out. Walking is great for an off day activity, I would suggest you keep that up.^c

Reyn
05-08-2005, 01:50
Bull 68, how much volume are you doing? Looking at your workout i believe your going to kill your lower back. Are you going to cyle heavy and light? Doing squats, stiff-legged deads, followed by bent-over rows the next day followed by regular deadlifts 0n Thursday is a lot of work on the back. Also strong abs are real important for the lower back.

W Turner
05-09-2005, 11:55
Garythenuke- You're right about the age thing, I will be 28 in a few weeks and it's amazing how much difference I can feel now as compared to my early 20's.

I am going to the 3 day a week plan too. I will still split my lifting between upper and lower body, but it will be a rotating schedule every week (M-Upper Body/W-Lower Body/F-Upper Body and alternating the next week). My cardio will still be the 30 min every am and 30 additional minutes on the days I don't lift.

I do have one question..I know I need to focus on gaining strength first so I have considered going to a powerlifting schedule where I would do Squats on Monday, Bench on Wednesday and Deadlift on Friday. This would put my focus on more compound movements that have been proved to build strength. Would this be better than strictly upper/lower body like I have done so far or should I just stick with what I've been doing?

If I do go to a powerlifting-style for weight training, can someone point me in the right direction for a good beginner's schedule that will allow for quick workouts (1 hour or less)?

Thanks,
Bull

garythenuke
05-09-2005, 19:50
Bull,

I would recommend deadlifts and front squats. You can do them on the same day as they will not kill your back like deadlifts and back squats would on the same day. Deadllifts are a better total body exercise IMO, because they work your upper body as well. I am familiar with the 20 rep squat routine, and if you eat enough calories and train hard enough it will work. But you are not training for high school or college football or competitive lifting. Compound joint movements are superior to everything else in terms of convincing your body to change.

I am not at all a fan of bodybuilding, but rather strength. I respect what bodybuilders can do, I just do not have time or inclination for it. Go ahead and split your workouts so that you work muscles that are not sore. As long as your exercises cross several joints, you are making progress.

IF you can learn some of the basic olympic lifting movements they will work your whole body. I am biassed against bench presses, because they kill my shoulder. I prefer overhead presses and weighted dips. Learn the power clean, and then do a push press from there. I also think overhead pressing and weighted dipping are more relavant to the real world.

Take a look at Brooks Kubik's site. Another much more experienced member turned me onto this site the other day, and I am dismayed that I had not found it until now, I am very grateful for being steered to that site. Brooks calles his stuff "Dinosaur training". Thank you CaliforniaJack. http://www.brookskubik.com/tips.html I have little experience with a true power lifting schedule. It seems too specialized to me. (kind of like bodybuilding).

Take a look at the body types of the big named power lifters, and ask yourself if that is what you want for your body to look like. Then look at the weight class, not the super heavies, olympic lifters and see if that is more the body you want. There is a reason each sport builds bodies they way they do.

At some point you can get into one handed dumbell clean and presses, sandbag lifting and other truly FUN stuff. I hope I have answered some of your questions, this has turned into more of a rant than I had hoped. Check out www.ironmind.com for gear and advice. You can probably get a great starters weight set at a local sporting goods store for about $150.00. #300 is more than you will need for a while if you concentrate on exercises that involve picking something up off the ground and putting it over your head.

BTW, if you can workout for more than an hour right now, you are not working hard enough. Cleans, presses, fronts, deads, and dips should have you seeing stars in about 45 minutes if your move smartly through the routine. I have forgotten, are you working out at home or in a gym? Does the gym have a lifting platform and bumper plates? Bumpers are the ones designed to be dropped onto the lifting platform with out the gym manager choking on his protein shake when he hears it.;f

garythenuke

keep up the great work;Y

California Jack
05-09-2005, 21:14
I don't really like the idea. I think you're still early enough in your lifting carreer to gain from full body workouts, but since you asked;

Split Routines

Monday:
Squat
Leg press
Leg curl
Standing calf raise
Seated Calf raise

Wednesday:
Bench Press Bench
Incline bench (optional) or Shoulder Press
Shoulder press Narrow Grip Bench press
Tricep extension (any)

Friday:
Deadlift
Shrug
Chin
Bent over row
Curl

This is pretty much the only three day split I have. The general pattern is Monday-Legs, Wednesday-Chest, Shoulders,Tri's, Friday-Back, Biceps. This routine is started off by one of the three powerlifts each day. This is the basis of almost all of my favorite routines that I use. Obviously, this is my preference of all the above. I prefer to do this routine with long rests between sets so that I can handle heavy weights. The only thing I might switch in with this routine for variety is Wednesday-Chest, Tri's, Bi's, Friday-Back, Shoulders. Either way is okay.

Full Body Workouts
Squat
Stiff leg deadlift
Dip or Bench Press
Chin

This is a very abbreviated workout, but it is good for those with little time. Hell, this would be good for anybody. Done every 2-4 days, this could probably get you stronger than 95% of people in the gym. Also great for conditioning- If you do little rest between sets (still with maximal weight), you can greatly improve cardivascular fitness.

These were taken from ....Bony Joes Weight Pit (http://www.geocities.com/bonyjoes/train.html)

Of course, if you want a PL style workout, I suggest you read "Powerlifting Basics, Texas Style" by Paul Kelso. A lot of good routines for beginning and intermediate PLers. Mostly abbreviated full body stuff.

garythenuke
05-10-2005, 09:34
My Mistake,

I do not know what I read, but my brain did not wrap around split workouts in the way you were probably thinking. I agree with California Jack 100%, in that you should concentrate on full body workouts. I believe I was thinking of doing different movements and calling it a split routine. Again, I apologize, I need to be sure I have more than 1.5 hours sleep over two days before I post advice. Did I mention I work shifts?????

I am very sorry. Please do full body multiple joint workouts. If you want to split a few isolation exercises at the end ouf your workouts that may be okay, but your miltiple joint movements wil probably take enough out of you that you won't want to do any more. The most splitting I usually do is Pullups one workout, and then weighted dips the next. Otherwise my workouts are basically the same.

BTW, keep walking, it will help you recover and work out the soreness. Just do not do really steep hills or speed walking on your off days.

garythenuke

California Jack
06-03-2005, 06:37
Bull,

Update please? How's everything going? Still making progress toward your goal? What's your training like now?

Hope all is going well.

Jack

W Turner
06-07-2005, 11:00
California Jack- Been doing ok, the lifting is going ok, my wife is noticing the changes more than I am. Diet is still a big challenge for me. I still walk in the mornings, but my pace has been slowed down because my father recently had gastric by-pass surgery and he walks with me.

Diet- I do great at meal times, it's the snacking that kills me. My water intake is dramatically better and I have cut way down on drinking almost everything else. I don't think I have lost any weight, but I place the blame for that suqarely on my shoulders. My waist/hip sizes haven't changed and they are one of the factors that I look at when sizing up my progress. Waist is 52 and hips are 48. For perspective, my neck is still 18.5-19 inches. The other factors I look at are strength gains, severity of my lower back pain and overall conditioning. The lower back pain and conditioning feel better. The lower back pain is actually arthritis in my hip and it still hurts, but I seem to be recovering faster.

Lifting- Some strength gains, and my calves, arms and chest are looking better. My back is getting stronger and my form has definitely improved on certain exercises (squat, bent-row, stiff legged DL). Bench has been slow in coming due to an old shoulder injury, still only working out with 115 for 3x10. I have gone to a MWF workout plan and I alternate so that I will do upper body on M and F of one week and lower body on W, then switch it up the next week. I don't feel like I am getting enough so I will do this for three more weeks and re-evaluate then.

Cardio- Still walking 5-6 mornings a week. I had gotten to where I was walking 1.8 miles in about 27 minutes, but then my father had his surgery and is walking with me, so I have had to slow my pace down to accomodate him. It's a worthy trade-off IMO , but I may add walking in the afternoons of my non-lifting days to make up for it. I tried jogging a few times, but I have always been prone to shin splints and after just two days of mixing jogging into the walking, I had to take a day off because of pain. I will have to lose weight before I will try jogging again. Unfortunately, my gym doesn't have a good elliptical trainer. I have used one in the past and loved it. I still do 10 min. on an exercise bike as a warm-up before lifting and do 5 min. as a cool down on leg days, and 10 more minutes on upper body days.

I have seriously considered talking with the owner of the gym to ask for help in restrucuring my routine. He is a former bodybuilder/powerlifter and has the kind of physique I would eventually like to have. He is not super-lean, but he is just thick and in great overall condition.

Although I wil say that the 3x a week full-body routine posted by California Jack looks like it may be a viable alternative. Hey Jack, what kind of reps/sets should I look at if I decide to try that routine? I would think 6-8 reps for three sets plus a light 10 rep warmup for each exercise, but correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Bull

robwebbg22
06-08-2005, 12:58
I am 6 6 280 your 6 8. Dude you will never get to big!! You have a huge frame an it will take a ton ton ton of supplements an diet tricks to pack on a monster body. Hit the gym as much as you can an do your cardio. I dont eat any white carbs bread pasta etc... I wheat it as much as I can when I have to have a sandwhich or some pasta. Fruits are a good sweet treat when you need it. Lifting not only tones an strengthen your body but also gives you motivation to stick with it seeing yourself making gains !

W Turner
07-07-2005, 08:25
***UPDATE***

Well, it looks like my lifting will be put on hold for a while. I took the last full week of June off for a family vacation and after my first workout last week, I felt sore in my groin area. Long story short, I believe I have an inguinal hernia.

I was hoping it was just a strain, but I went to my doc on Tuesday and she agrees with me. Went for an ultrasound yesterday and should hear back early next week. I have already been doing research and have located a surgeon who can repair it laparascopically. I'm just waiting on my MD to make the referral.

Good news is that according ot everything I hae read on the 'net, I should be back to normal about a month after the surgery. Until then it's walking only for me per my MD's orders.

Anyone here have any experience with this kind of injury?

Thanks,
Bull

walangkatapat
07-07-2005, 16:21
I'm not sure. Is that when your left nut hurts? Mine was hurting a couple of days ago, but it has seemed to diminish.

California Jack
07-07-2005, 16:27
Bull-

First, sorry I missed your post asking me what set/rep scheme I'd recommend for you. I apologize. Next time PM me if I'm that negligent.

Second, really sorry to here about your hernia. Like walangapat, I feared herniation a few weeks ago. I think it was from over stretching my lower ab during a split snatch. Anyhow, what got you ? How did it feel? What's the prognosis?

Good luck and let me know if I can help,
Jack

W Turner
07-11-2005, 09:11
California Jack....

As far as when I hurt it, I am not exactly sure. If I had to guess, I would say while deadlifting. My workout went fine, but on the way home, it felt like my right testicle was somewhere around my beltline. No real pain, just pressure and discomfort on the right side of my groin. No pain around the twig and giggleberries either.

I waited a week without lifting and unfortunately on the 4th I was in town when my truck's starter gave out. I ended up having to push my truck all over the parking lot before having it towed to my parents' house. Once there, I had to push it across the street to a local mechanic's place for him to fix it. The next day I was a little sore so I called my MD and she had me come on in. I had done some research before I went to see her and had already identified a local surgeon that does laparascopic hernia repair and she is going to refer me to him once the diagnostics are done. She was unable to 100% diagnose me, hence the ultrasound, but according to the ultrasound tech, even US is not able to diagnose a hernia 100% of the time. If it doesn't show up on the US, then it's either a CAT scan or they may go ahead a send me to the surgeon for eval. My MD did say that with the symptoms I was reporting, she did not think it could be anything else.

Best case is that they can do the repair laparoscopically. I will be out of work for 1-2 weeks and should be able to go back to light lifting and walking at around a month.

Worst case is they have to actually cut me and then I will be looking at 3-5 weeks before coming back to work and 2-3 months before any kind of exercise.

If you guys would like I can start a seperate thread to document this injury for other's future reference.

Bull