Who here all uses Circle Hooks when fishing bait? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who here all uses Circle Hooks when fishing bait?

A_Swede_17_1911
04-29-2005, 19:56
I've been using Circle hooks for catfish, I like the way they hook solid in the corner of the mouth. I have noticed that your better off using a stiffer rod than a softer one, to get more hook ups. The reason I say this is I seem to get more hook ups using my Berkley Big Game Rod that is a MedHvy action, but seems to have a stiffer taper to it. While my Berkley Reflex is a medium action but with a softer action to it. Its awsome for lobing live bait with and I really like it but I seem to miss more fish with the circle hooks using it. So I end up fishing a more traditonal hook with that rod.

I end up doing more catch and release fishing even for catfish than anything. Just curious to see what other people use. Oh the sizes I use are usally from #1's to #4/0 circle hooks depending were im fishing and what im using for bait.

Sharp hooks and tight lines

noway
05-01-2005, 09:24
I too used the circle hooks on ocassion. If you don't go with a stiffer action try a heavier line weight to eliminate some of the stretch ( but you will have less line sensitivity ). The circle hooks do require more setting force but you will not loose a fish once hooked. ;)

But... if you are not catching to release, any plain mustard or japan style hooks is the way to go.

KodiakG-22C
05-02-2005, 16:10
I use circle hooks all time when I "Wacky Rig" Senko type baits for bass fishing. I love them!
In fact I dont set the hook hard at all. All I do is apply pressure to the fish and the hook digs right in. I use a 1/0-2/0 Gamakatsu Octopus.

Up in Michigan more and more people are going to this type of hook for Bass. It has a smaller profile and you dont lose as many fish!

Good Luck

alphacat
05-04-2005, 19:48
Catfish, Catfish, man the local paper had a great item last Sunday about this local guy and his wife, and it sure makes me want to go fishing for them big old cats. It's been a long time sinse I've been fishing maybe this is the summer for me to start back fishing.

He talks about circle hooks on his website.

http://hookedoncatfish.com

Fish On!