Inexpensive But Good Guitars. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive But Good Guitars.

mossy500camo
04-30-2005, 17:43
Im looking for an Inexpensive but good electric guitar. Under $200 Im looking at

Kramer $69 any good?
Peavey Raptor
Squier Strat
Dean Avalanche
I know that alot of the guitar message boards are by beginners and peeps /w no experience at all. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Im just looking for some thing to play around with at the house. I already play acoustic its an Ibanez PF105ST 6 string.

Berto
04-30-2005, 17:54
I've seen a bunch of good reviews on the newer Danelectros-they run roughly in your price range.For a little more,the Mexican Fender Teles and Strats are excellent.:)

mossy500camo
04-30-2005, 17:59
Yeah I was checking out the Danos too. Do you have experience with them?

Berto
04-30-2005, 18:21
I have only dorked around with them at the shop,never owned one.They have good necks and work well,but Danos have plywood/masonite bodies...so they're not exactly the type of guitar you'll want to invest in upgrading.They're known for their 'pawn shop' vintage tone and they do sound cool IMO.
I DO have a reissue thinline tele that's a Mexican.It is better built and fitted than my American Srat Ultra.The Mexican Fenders are solid body guitars and higher quality than the Danos-they use Ash,Poplar and Basswood bodies,but cost a little more.

Soujurn
04-30-2005, 19:42
Are you dead set on buying new? Because there are some great deals to be had on used gear.

I don't know if the style of guitar is that important to you, but I have found many many many good deals on Mexi-Strats.

A little more than "under $200" but I think if you can swing the extra money, you will be far more satisfied in the long term.

I would stay away from Squiers. Crap wood and nothing makes them sound good. Not even better pickups can improve lousy sounding wood.

Also, with a decent mexi-strat you can later on put in better pickups like some noiseless vintage Fenders and put on a good set of heavy strings and get the neck setup and it will sound killer. For strings I always use D'Adario 10-52's.
They last longer and sound good longer than the cheaper strings like Slinky's or Boomers.

mossy500camo
04-30-2005, 20:28
Originally posted by Soujurn
Are you dead set on buying new? Because there are some great deals to be had on used gear.

Nah, I found a Peavey Falcon and Peavey Patriot for $149 used.

joegerardi
05-01-2005, 07:46
I was looking for a cheap guitar for my studio. I was in MediaPlay of all places, looking at DVDs and saw a Squier Bullet Strat on sale for $69.99. One of the employees there is a guitar player and friend, so I asked him to go into the back and find me one with a good neck. He came out with a blue one 5 minutes later, and it's great! I'm a keyboardist, not a guitar player, but that thing makes even me sound good.

Interesting thing is he said most of them had good necks, and it took him a while to find the best.

..Joe

84S
05-01-2005, 10:39
Spend a little more and get a Mexican Fender Tele or Strat. I have been very happy with my Mexican tele. I couldn't tell the difference between it and an American Standard. They use the same parts, but send the parts down to Mexico to finish and paint the guitars. EPA laws make the American standard Fenders more expensive. I got mine brand new for $350, a used one could be gotten for $200 maybe, but look into it.

reconvic
05-01-2005, 15:36
Out of the the guitars you picked as possible choices, the PV would
your best pick in my opinion.http://www.hunt101.com/img/275517.JPGhttp://www.hunt101.com/img/281094.JPG

chris93473
05-26-2005, 04:14
PRS is good

Hamsquatch
05-26-2005, 05:31
Originally posted by mossy500camo
Im looking for an Inexpensive but good electric guitar. Under $200 Im looking at

Kramer $69 any good?
Peavey Raptor
Squier Strat
Dean Avalanche
I know that alot of the guitar message boards are by beginners and peeps /w no experience at all. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Im just looking for some thing to play around with at the house. I already play acoustic its an Ibanez PF105ST 6 string.

IMHO, anything Dean makes will be one of the better bargains you’ll find for a new guitar, electric or acoustic. ;f

Berzerker10mm
05-26-2005, 19:31
An Epiphone Les Paul special II for $149 is pretty darn good (my experience) for the money.

Kevin108
05-26-2005, 22:37
Stay away from the Drive brand. They have the cheapest pick-ups of anything I've ever toched. The bodies and everything are fine, they just sound like snit out of the box.