can you fix co ax cable? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : can you fix co ax cable?

spober
05-01-2005, 11:08
my laptop plug in with battery cable(i think its coaxial cable)got mangled by the old lady last night.its hard to find a new one and they cost at lest 50 bucks .can they be fixed?

grantglock
05-01-2005, 12:40
coax? thats tv antenna cable.

G22-Joe
05-01-2005, 14:17
Coaxial cables come in all different varities. From those that pass Microwave and Radio frequency to simple AC or DC voltages, not to mention simple TTL logic.

You can fix it, but will it work properly after?

By coax you mean that is has some type of grounding shield over the center core wires? The shielding can be either woven, or sheet style grounding. Just cut out the kink, and reconnect every line back to each other using butt-splices or the like. Do the same for the shielding. If it is woven shielding, you can "de-frey" or un-braid it using a small needle or dental pick. Takes time and patience, yet it can be done. Wind up the un-braided wires to make a set of "stranded" wires and butt-splice those together. If it is the solid metal (sheet) shielding, it gets a little more tricky. I usually solder a wire across the shield, and then use "shielding" tape to cover it all back up. Of course you can just use straight metal (conducting) tape to fix any broken shield, it just depends on what it is shielding and if it is really required..

Hope this helps.

Jack2427
05-01-2005, 15:51
To fix any coaxial cable you need 2 male fittings for each end of the broken parts and a barrel connector for each of those to screw into. Outside of some very delicate joining, that is the only way to do it. The amount of signal loss will vary depending on frequency etc. You can probably find all the parts at Rshack, make sure you get instructions and follow them exactly.

Washington,D.C.
05-02-2005, 00:55
Originally posted by spober
my laptop plug in with battery cable(i think its coaxial cable)got mangled by the old lady last night.its hard to find a new one and they cost at lest 50 bucks .can they be fixed? 50 bucks for a new old lady? The battery plug may be the "coaxial' type but I doubt the cable on it has to be coax cable.

lomfs24
05-02-2005, 01:48
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
50 bucks for a new old lady? You beat me to it. ;f They are a lot more expensive around here. ;f

Soujurn
05-02-2005, 06:55
What are the model numbers for the laptop and powerpack?

G22-Joe
05-02-2005, 08:41
Originally posted by Jack2427
To fix any coaxial cable you need 2 male fittings for each end of the broken parts and a barrel connector for each of those to screw into. Outside of some very delicate joining, that is the only way to do it. The amount of signal loss will vary depending on frequency etc. You can probably find all the parts at Rshack, make sure you get instructions and follow them exactly.

Judging by the fact that he mentioned it was a power adapter, and not a RF/Microwave signal coax, he will not need to do the above. It is most likely just a shielded pair of wires, that are shielded to reduce interference with the laptop and possible wireless connections.

The above would be true for signal carrying coax, yet you would be better off replacing the entire piece rather then "splicing" it back together.

spober
05-05-2005, 18:04
got one by fed x this AM. Dell charged 60 bucks ,got it in 2 days.
just so you know.the plug from the wall runs on regular(lamp sized)wireto a 3 pronged plug that conects to a battery(thinner than a pack of ciggarettes)the co axial(sheilded wire)in hardwired to the battery and plugs into the notebook.;;0 :ladiesmn: