Creating an HDD image to a DVD. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Creating an HDD image to a DVD.

G22-Joe
05-01-2005, 13:39
I did a search and could not quite find what I was looking for.

I just re-formatted my HDD, and installed XP SP2 with all necessary updates. I have not installed anything else.

I would like to create a image of that partition, and burn the image to a DVD, so I can just re-load a fresh image once all the usual "crap" starts to hit it.

I have a total of 2 HDDs.
Master:
Partition 0 = XP SP2 (NTFS)
Partition 1 = Fedora Core 3
Partition 2 = Mandrake 10.1
Partition 3 = Knoppix
Each partition is 30MB.

Slave:
Unpartioned = NTFS @ 120GB

I just want to create an image of the XP SP2, as that is the one that takes the most time to reload all the time. I seam to have no issue with FC3, when and if I enounter problems.

I am looking for a, hopefuly, free image software program that can burn directly to DVD(s), so I can have a 1-step process to re-install XP. I need XP for business purposes, and am very, very new to Linux.

Thanks for any and all information.

Joe

ThaShadow
05-01-2005, 14:11
I'm not sure of a Free program to do this but Norton Ghost is by far the best I have used. Drive Image Pro is another good one to use.

David_G17
05-01-2005, 14:18
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6509

may be of help.

you should be able to do that in FC or knoppix or mandrake.

prism
05-01-2005, 14:50
if you plan on making an image of a 30 gig partition, wouldn't the image require the same amount of space?

that may be more than would fit on a dvd.

I see you have a second hard drive, that may be a good place to put the image of the XP partition.

Sgt. Schultz
05-01-2005, 15:47
Originally posted by prism
if you plan on making an image of a 30 gig partition, wouldn't the image require the same amount of space?

No, with Ghost the image is the size of the data on the partition not the size of the partition itself.

fastvfr
05-01-2005, 21:20
I just use my external HDD for this purpose. Works very well for me.

Cryptoboy
05-02-2005, 15:09
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz
No, with Ghost the image is the size of the data on the partition not the size of the partition itself.

True, but I think they'd still be larger than 4.7GB. I create C: drive images of most of my servers at work. They are 8GB partitions (only install OS and essentials on them, all programs go to another drive), and the ghost images are cut down to 1-1.4GB in size typically.

Get a copy of Ghost (you might even be able to get one from your IT department if you have any buddies there) and create an image of your OS drive onto a spot on your slave drive. See how big the final copy is and burn that one to DVD if you can.

MikeG22
05-02-2005, 18:02
When you use ghost there is an option that allows it to span multiple files of whatever size you specify. I've done it numerous times in 700mb chunks and then burnt the image to many cd's. Also make sure that you have have it set to maximum compression. It'll take slightly longer but less disks is a good thing. The program is just an very small exe you add onto a normal bootable floppy which you boot from and launch the program. PM me if you need help getting it onto a floppy. ;)

MB-G26
05-10-2005, 04:02
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=374849&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=1
this thread contains info on several freeware, spyware-free proggies that very well may peform the task you desire.
m

BLiTzNicK
05-10-2005, 20:24
You could also use a freebie such as G4U, or use a live linux cd such as Knoppix with partimage.

Just burn the created image file to a dvd.