explorer.exe [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : explorer.exe

Generalcarry
05-01-2005, 16:13
I switched to fire fox and have been tempted to end explorer.exe. I looked it up and the information was nebulous (to me) in that there didn't seem to be a clear answer. I'm not really very computer knowledgable. If I stop it, how much troulbe would i be in?

ThaShadow
05-01-2005, 16:17
explorer.exe is the the windows explorer file ending it will usually just make all your icons/start menu disapear untill a reboot is done or the file is started back.

iexplore.exe is for internet explorer if that is what you are looking for since you mentioned using firefox and ending iexplore.exe would cause you no problems other than closing out internet explorer windows.

fastvfr
05-01-2005, 21:17
Right. Explorer.exe IS Windows.

That is another reason why IE is such a lousy excuse for a browser. It uses the kernel's main GUI window to navigate in hostile territory.

Don't even get me STARTED on ActiveX(ploit)!!!

So, yeah, leave explorer.exe alone.

Soujurn
05-02-2005, 00:00
If you will type any process you see running in task manager into Google, the first hit is usually a page that will explain what that process is for.

Toyman
05-02-2005, 03:43
Originally posted by fastvfr

That is another reason why IE is such a lousy excuse for a browser. It uses the kernel's main GUI window to navigate in hostile territory.

Don't even get me STARTED on ActiveX(ploit)!!!

So, yeah, leave explorer.exe alone.

Well, no, not really. Explorer.exe is simply being used as the shell, which is what operates the Start Menu, Taskbar, and Desktop. It CAN be replaced with other software quite easily. Although not always a good idea to end it, doing so won't accomplish much. Usually it'll get restarted. Yes, it's the same explorer.exe that you can used to browse your file system, it does both.

Iexplore.exe is Internet Explorer, but it doesn't use explorer.exe, to be technical IE is simply a small exe that hosts shwapi.dll and shdocvw.dll, which is the IE HTML COM engine, of which explorer.exe can also host, trust me, I've written a lot of code that works with both.

If you do ever end or crash [/b]Explorer.exe[/b] and have no startmenu/taskbar, simply do this to restart explorer.exe:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL or CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to get to the Task Manager. Next, click File->New Task (Run)... In the Create New Task dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

That's the lesson for today kids, I've got an image mapper program to finish.

David_G17
05-02-2005, 19:54
Originally posted by fastvfr

so, end it and install Linux.

Generalcarry
05-04-2005, 06:13
I figured I'd have to leave it alone but thanks for your advice. I've learned a hell of a lot here.
By the way, I did run everything in the TM through Google before I started this thread. I did get rid of some programs and havn't had any trouble yet. There is still a lot of computer language that I don't understand.