Out of State EMT Certification Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Out of State EMT Certification Questions

Gatman
05-02-2005, 05:23
I am thinking of taking an EMT class over the summer at the local Community College. And I plan on moving to either Washington State or Pennsylvania state and would like to know what the requirements are for an EMT B(basic I belive?) in those states. And will my IL certificate be valid over there? I dont want to get a license here and not be able to use it wherever I go.

Thanks for all the work you guys do by the way. I decided to try and get into an EMT program after I saw some local EMTs save someones life today.

God Bless.

DepChief
05-02-2005, 07:13
The only way to find out if your state carries over to another is to call the State EMS Office in the state you are moving to. In NC, any state EMT program that follows DOT Guidelines in reciprical to NC.

TerraMedicX
05-02-2005, 14:20
For the EMT-Basic level, both Washington and Pennsylvania have open reciprocity for any state certification that meets USDOT standards. This means that if you have a CURRENT certification from another state that meets their requirements, they will give you their state cert without any testing.
From experience this can get a little tricky as neither of these states issue lists of states whos training they consider equal. Both states, however, offer reciprocity for NREMT certification. This is probably your best bet, and your instructors will probably encourage you to get your National Registry anyway. If you get the NREMT cert both states will give you state certs automatically without any further testing.
Washington's website also mentioned something about an infectious disease prevention class you have to take, but your employer will probably offer you this. You can check out this link for more details about Washington's reciprocity process: http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/emstrauma/download/blsrecip.pdf

For PA this was the best site I found: www.health.state.pa.us/HPA/EMS/Prehosp/sect5.htm

Hope that helps!
Nate.

Gatman
05-02-2005, 15:03
Thanks to both of you guys. THe sites were definately helpful.