Whats your snake gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Whats your snake gun?

chevy01234
05-02-2005, 16:47
I was wondering what everyone on here uses for a snake gun? I am not looking for dont kill the snake speeches and no I dont eat them. I use a browning buckmark with cci mini mags when fishing around the pond and when in the boat either the pistol or a little youth model 20 gauge with number 8 birdshot in it. So what do yall use?

vafish
05-02-2005, 19:45
Only thing I've ever used to kill snakes was a shovel.

chevy01234
05-02-2005, 19:50
Thanks for your input, I figured there'd be a little more feedback than this I guess many people dont think about snakes or there not saying anything.

Greybeard
05-02-2005, 21:03
If intentionally stalking water mocs, its a shotgun with birdshot.

When hunting other critters, I generally also carry some type of handgun. CCI shot loads (.38 thru .45) often handy to finish off wounded birds - or available as needed for rattlers.

noway
05-02-2005, 23:39
any shotgun with any bird shot load or a gun with ashotshell load or just a plain big stick or garden hoe works wonders on most snakes.

Now If I had a jungle filled with pythons or anaconda, I would opt for the shotgun.;)

vafish
05-03-2005, 07:00
Originally posted by chevy01234
Thanks for your input, I figured there'd be a little more feedback than this I guess many people dont think about snakes or there not saying anything.

Chevy01234,

I don't prepare for snakes. I carry a GLOCK 36 loaded with Corbon Powrball. It's a general purpose round to defend my life. If I needed to shoot a snake it is most likely what I would have on my person and what I would use.

The couple of times I've had snakes that needed killing in my yard I used a shovel. I live in suburban Northern Virginia, but am one yard away from a nature park area. In 17 years of living here I've twice had small copperheads in the yard.

If I had a larger property and was often finding poisonous snakes on it I'd either carry a .22 pistol or maybe my TC Contender with it's .45 Colt/.410 barrel installed and a 2 1/2" #9 shell in it.

chevy01234
05-03-2005, 07:33
vafish,
Im not talking about carrying the pistol 24-7 just for snakes. Im talking about when your fishing, canoeing, hiking, or just walking around the farm. My family owns about 8,000 acres of farmland and we ride fourwheelers on it a good bit, Ill carry my little buckmark in case I come across a snake. I am getting a 2" rossi .357 this weekend so ill start loading it up with some snake shot for those rides or walks. Maybe a couple of hollowpoints stuck in there for dogs and other critters that need to be taken care of.

CanyonMan
05-03-2005, 09:39
chevy01234,

OK Hoss, here ya go.

A .22 pistol with snake shot will work, 'but kinda light duty' (for me), next step up, (for me), a little ruger SP101, or S&W model 60, in 357mag, drop some 'shot shells' in there, and you will 'part their hair big time.'

I have grown up around rattlers, we have more on our ranch than any other ranch in the county, we don't worry about them #1, BUT, we do kill them #2! ;)

I usually have on a Ruger Vaquero in 44, or 45. BUT 'your' talking a different story 'here,' than what 'your activities,' are. We also have some Humongous mountain lions and other critters around here as well. Again, we don't worry about them either, but if one 'needs to go down,' rather than a 'calf' etc, down he goes.

So, again, the above mentioned SP101, works great, for the snakes, and if ever needed, the two legged snakes as well... ;f

And yes, i own one, and have killed a good many rattlers out here with it, so i know it works. :)

PS.. The little 2" barrel, with the bobbed hammer is a good bet for your packing around needs...

Just my suggestion to ya!

CanyonMan

chevy01234
05-03-2005, 13:09
Thanks for the reply CanyonMan Im glad we dont have too many rattlers around my place but we have plenty of cottonmouths and copperheads. I am getting that little rossi just for snake shot cause I was not impressed with the .22 shotshells. We fish alot and run trotlines so we see cottonmouths pretty frequently. I am all for king snakes and other non-venomous snakes but when I see ones that chase the boat they will die.

CanyonMan
05-03-2005, 13:28
Sorry man, i didn't even see your post about the Rossi! ;f
Snakes that chase me? NO! Some of our 'sidewinders will chase, but not the diamondbacks'. I'll stay in the western plains. ;)

Have Fun.

CanyonMan

das028
05-03-2005, 13:38
Thanks for the reply CanyonMan Im glad we dont have too many rattlers around my place but we have plenty of cottonmouths and copperheads. I am getting that little rossi just for snake shot cause I was not impressed with the .22 shotshells. We fish alot and run trotlines so we see cottonmouths pretty frequently. I am all for king snakes and other non-venomous snakes but when I see ones that chase the boat they will die.

Snakes that chase You? I doubt it buddy.

chevy01234
05-03-2005, 13:43
Have you ever pissed off a Water moccasin? They will chase you, BUDDY, I promise. Cottonmouths are some of the most aggressive snakes out there. Your in Maryland, Do ya'll even have cottonmouths? Thanks for the reply to the post but please keep your uneducated smart ass comments to yourself. They are not needed or appreciated. I will not say anything else about this. Have a good day.

das028
05-03-2005, 13:51
Have you ever pissed off a Water moccasin? They will chase you, BUDDY, I promise. Cottonmouths are some of the most aggressive snakes out there. Your in Maryland, Do ya'll even have cottonmouths? Thanks for the reply to the post but please keep your uneducated smart ass comments to yourself. They are not needed or appreciated. I will not say anything else about this. Have a good day.

Yeah we do have cottonmouths here in MD, and I can safely say I have never had one chase me.

chevy01234
05-03-2005, 13:56
Im glad you've never been chased by one and hope you never are. A cottonmouth will stop in the middle of the water and raise its head up about a foot and show you his white mouth trying to make you back down. They will also chase you if they are not happy and think they can bluff you down. I will not sit here and try to convince you anymore. Im just telling you they will, you can believe it or not.

das028
05-03-2005, 13:58
Im glad you've never been chased by one and hope you never are. A cottonmouth will stop in the middle of the water and raise its head up about a foot and show you his white mouth trying to make you back down. They will also chase you if they are not happy and think they can bluff you down. I will not sit here and try to convince you anymore. Im just telling you they will, you can believe it or not.
Thought you were not going to say anything more about this.

chevy01234
05-03-2005, 14:03
I was trying to help educate you but O well. I guess some people just cant get over thier smart ass ways. You came in here looking for a pissing match. Have a good day son. Im sure your a little yankee boy who has no experience whatsoever in the woods and your going by what youve heard on animal planet. Take care.

das028
05-03-2005, 14:06
I was trying to help educate you but O well. I guess some people just cant get over thier smart ass ways. You came in here looking for a pissing match. Have a good day son. Im sure your a little yankee boy who has no experience whatsoever in the woods and your going by what youve heard on animal planet. Take care.

Yankee boy, Ouch!. Hey what do you cal a yankee boy thats down south visiting for a couple weeks?

BOSS

tjpet
05-03-2005, 14:10
Charter Arms .44Special Bulldog w/shotshells. Takes the head right off out to about 7ft.

chevy01234
05-03-2005, 14:12
Thats pretty funny. How old are you again? Goodbye little Yankee Boy you just made my Ignore list happy.

chevy01234
05-03-2005, 14:13
Thanks tjpet those are the kind of answers im looking for. Have a Good Day.

das028
05-03-2005, 14:26
Thats pretty funny. How old are you again? Goodbye little Yankee Boy you just made my Ignore list happy.

Come on, lighten up a bit.

nu2carry
05-03-2005, 14:50
http://www.bondarms.com/

chevy01234
05-03-2005, 15:02
That would be nice.Maybe glock will make a 410 Gap and put it in a pistol the size of a 27.

Greybeard
05-03-2005, 19:10
vafish - FWIW, the Glock 36 that I had to sell last year threw the best pattern with CCI shot loads of any handgun I've ever tested, including .45 Colt in .454 with 7 1/2" barrel. An awesome little pattern at 3 yards, shaped about like a standing-up coke can. At about 6' one time, it literally cut the head off a copperhead. The CCI shotloads cycled fine in my G36, unlike the last time I tried 'em in my new G29. :(

And yea. '28, some water mocs are not at all afraid to come after a human. Or run a real good bluff anyway. ;)

CanyonMan
05-03-2005, 19:33
Just to "maybe" help chill things out here a tad... for those who do not think snakes 'chase you.'

When i wrote in one of my post above..."Snakes that chase me?" NO!

What 'that meant' was... I hate snakes that chase me! ;f

Come out to our ranch in N.W. Oklahoma, or the ranch Here in W. Texas, and check out the 'sidewinders,' got a friend that one chased and bit.

He believes it! ;)

The sand dunes out in Oklahoma are famous for the sidewinders, and so is The Whitlaw ranch, and those babies will chase you, (at times).

BUT, 'my meaning' to my friend, "chevy01234," was NO THANKS! For those guys that live 'down south' there, have 'MORE' there, that 'come after you,' (especially as he said), in a boat or float tube, than what we got out west here.

CanyonMan

VolFan
05-03-2005, 20:19
Typically the only time I really worry about snakes is when I'm fishing and hip deep in water. For those times, it's a Taurus snubbie in .38 Special loaded with CCI shotshells...they'll usually do the trick. I carry the same gun for early season scouting for bow season, sometimes the S&W 686 with the same shells.

chevy01234
05-03-2005, 20:40
Thanks guys for backing me up on the chasing thing. I probably over reacted earlier I was stressed out from studying all night for a Biology Final. Sorry if I blew my cool. Maybe we can keep this thread quiet and not start yelling and pissing matches with each others. Anyways das028, come down have a drink with me and go fishing one day. I might let a "yankee" catch a few fish, Take care and watch out for those moccs. Yall stay safe.

chevy01234
05-04-2005, 22:51
Got my new snake slayer tonight, a 2" Stainless .357 Rossi. Im goin to get some shot shells tommorrow before I go fishing. Any recommendations besides the CCI? I dont reload so my options are limited. If anyone has a pet recipe my buddy has a reloading bench and will put together whatever I want ( I know its not real safe to shoot other peoples reloads but I know this fellow and he knows his stuff)

Thanks

mrwiggins
05-05-2005, 00:22
thats what i use now. i'm looking for something better though. those little 22 shotshells just make the snakes laugh some times. now a snake in the yard can die by the shovel. but i have perch traps for when i use birdlines and go fishing, and about all u can use to safely get the damn things out of those little traps is a gun with snake shot. i would try to reach in a grap one, that for sure.
moc's do get pissed. i've seen them go after people, but at the same time, i walked right by one sunnin himself and he didn't even pay any attention to me.

vafish
05-05-2005, 07:04
vafish,
Im not talking about carrying the pistol 24-7 just for snakes. Im talking about when your fishing, canoeing, hiking, or just walking around the farm. My family owns about 8,000 acres of farmland and we ride fourwheelers on it a good bit, Ill carry my little buckmark in case I come across a snake. I am getting a 2" rossi .357 this weekend so ill start loading it up with some snake shot for those rides or walks. Maybe a couple of hollowpoints stuck in there for dogs and other critters that need to be taken care of.

Chevy,

I carry a handgun for general self defense. The property I spend most of my time hunting on is next to a medium security prison. The only snakes I've seen there were black snakes and I left them alone. So I think the 2 legged animals are more of a problem than the legless ones.;) After the 2 legged problems I think feral or rabid dogs or other rabid animals are the next biggest threat I face. If I have a problems with a snake I'll solve it with a JHP (or several if it takes that).

I think in your case the Stainless Rossi is a good choice. I also like the idea of the first 2 shot shells and the rest JHP's.

chevy01234
05-05-2005, 16:57
vafish,
I would defintely want a little more firepower if there was a prison bordering our land. I dont know what i'd do if a snake in an orange jumpsuit came trotting toward my fishing hole. I understand where your coming from and was not trying to sound like a smartass. I took that little Rossi out and shot it today. That .357 has some snap to it. I have it loaded with 2 snakeshot and the rest hollowpoints. We went out today and checked some of our turtle traps but thank goodness I still have all my snakeshot . Anyways, yall stay safe.

paccw
05-05-2005, 18:11
I carry a 357 or 45 colt
First 2 rounds are CCI shot and the rest are full house loads.As soon as the weather warms up.I carry wheel guns anytime I'm in the woods(no semi auot's on game lands)
And I carry semi auto's when walking around the concrete jungle;f

Dogbite
05-05-2005, 20:13
I have used a gp100 loaded with snakeshot,fits well into my tackle bag while fishing.

CanyonMan
05-05-2005, 20:27
chevy01234,

Hey man, 'glad you landed on one' to use. That one ya got there, will work just as good as the SP101, (as you know), so enjoy it, and stay away from the cotton mouths! ;f

CanyonMan

chevy01234
05-06-2005, 00:49
Yup, Its a good little snake/truck gun, in the truck its got some winchester .357's, on my hip in the woods the first two cylinders have snakeshot the rest hollowpoints. We saw a couple of water snakes tonight when we went to check the traps, they were fun to watch but they took off pretty quick. I felt a whole lot better with that .38 snakeshot instead of the .22 snakeshot. All the mice from the barn are dissapering so we've got some around there that are fine with me, We have to bush hog tommorrow so im sure we'll stir up some though as long as thier heads arent triangle shaped there alright with me. Yall stay safe

vafish
05-06-2005, 14:38
Hey Chevy,

I forgot to add, I wish I had family that owned 8000 acres. My dad only owns 80 acres and he's about 1,000 miles away.

chevy01234
05-06-2005, 16:31
I'm Blessed my grandfather kept us in mind when building his farms up. We enjoy it, We are leasing it out now to a family of farmers because my grandfather claims he's retired. So one day my grandkids will be running around on the land and thier grandkids and so on. ya'll take care

Walter45Auto
05-07-2005, 20:07
Got my new snake slayer tonight, a 2" Stainless .357 Rossi. Im goin to get some shot shells tommorrow before I go fishing. Any recommendations besides the CCI? I dont reload so my options are limited. If anyone has a pet recipe my buddy has a reloading bench and will put together whatever I want ( I know its not real safe to shoot other peoples reloads but I know this fellow and he knows his stuff)

Thanks

http://www.gunblast.com/Snake_Stopper.htm <== Maybe you and your buddy can put together something similar to this.

;g

;8 ;I

chevy01234
05-09-2005, 16:43
If only someone would load something like the snake stopper commercially...I did kill about a three foot cotton mouth yesterday while fishing. He was sittin on a limb and I must have cast by him five times before I saw him. Thats what I dont like about snakes they should have bells on or something cause even rattlers dont rattle every time. He was brought down pretty hard with 1 round of .38 snake shot. We have seen three snakes in my yard in the past two days. One was a black runner/racer, one a king (I think) and one fast as it could be. All of them got a free pass. Anyways they are out so watch yourself. Stay safe

mikedb
05-09-2005, 18:47
Originally posted by das028
Snakes that chase You? I doubt it buddy.

Hey this yankee can testify they do chase you. I spent 4 years in Louisiana. I love the south!!!!!!!

Burrito
05-09-2005, 20:49
I have in my opinion the perfect snake gun. It's an old Savage over/under with a 22lr barrel on top and a .410 on the bottom. I shot 2 water moccasins with it 2 weekends ago while I was fishin. It was my pawpaw's rattlesnake gun when he owned his farm for 30 years. Man, that gun has shot a LOT of snakes. They used to kill probably 5-10 a year (South Texas). So that gun has probably killed 150-300 snakes. That's a piece of family history I don't ever want to let go of.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/Lorge/DSCN0247.jpg

noway
05-11-2005, 12:13
{Snakes that chase You? I doubt it buddy.}

You must never had a close in one on one with a cottonmouth. They unlike most other snakes will stand their ground, will approach and will take an offensive position. Yeap they don't run after you and tackle you, but they sure as hell don't turn , duck tail & run off like 9 out of 10 other snakes do.
:)

chevy01234
05-11-2005, 15:45
Thanks noway, mikedb, and everyone else who backed me up on the cotton mouths chasing you thing, I think he got it and maybe even learned a little. I imagine we have alot more Cottonmouths down here and he just isnt used to being around them. O well everyone makes mistakes. Now who could we get to load the snakestopper loads commercially?

Walter45Auto
05-11-2005, 21:28
I've heard that Mambas will chase you twice as quick as the cottonmouth.

;g

;8 ;I

chevy01234
05-11-2005, 21:50
Thank God we dont have Mambas in Mississippi.

noway
05-11-2005, 23:35
Also the bushwaker is a very agressive snake that will hold it's ground and become very very offensive. I guess that's why it use as marketing name for the CAR-15 ;)

Thank god they exist only in the southern parts of the "de americas". ;f

fishshooter
05-25-2005, 19:14
Cottonmouths will chase you. Seen it several times. They will even follow your boat. My Grandad put 3 .38 holes in the bottom of his boat once when one climbed in with us. I've been using a S&W 317 kit gun .22. I only use shot shells when on the water, limits range and don't have to worry about the bullet skipping off to parts unknown. Cottonmouths and rattlers die if they are around the house, all others get a free pass.

RenegadeGlocker
05-25-2005, 19:25
http://tradecraft.us/Images/WarlockCopperHead.jpg

TitansFan
05-27-2005, 15:32
I have aggitated cottonmouth snakes on purpose and have never been chased by one. Now I'm not saying they won't, I'm just saying I've never been chased by one. We have a small 6 acre piece of land right on a small river and I have had plenty of run ins with them while wading and fishing. I usually get a stick and mess with them if they stay around long enough for me to find one. But 90% of the time they don't stick around. The only time they have stood their ground is when I surprise them by flipping over a rock or log they are hiding under catching them by surprise.

Renegade it looks like you killed a mighty fine mouse catcher.

Good looking gun by the way.

noway
05-27-2005, 22:38
( don't know what happen to the previous posting, since the db server crash a while back )

Never been chased but they ( water mocassins ) will hold their grounds when compared to other snakes.

noway
05-27-2005, 22:42
Florida has alot of water and thus draw alot of snakes. Here the more common confused Brown ( harmless ) water snake. THis one just finished a meal and was basting in the sun trying to digest his food. It was easily over 7ft long and laying upon some rocks nera culvert.

Most people label and give all snakes a bad rap and they don't really understand their ( snake ) nature.

fishshooter
05-29-2005, 16:50
http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm

Ralphumor
06-12-2005, 00:58
A good stick (long and strong) and Ausie acent...;f

BOB THEDOG
06-15-2005, 14:12
I grew up in Houston and played in and around the bayous a lot.

I've seen water mocs:

Come across from one side to the other to attack a fishing bobber.

Attack turtles (in water).

Attack small dogs, I mean really go out of their way to come over and try to bite them.

I had one come out of a culvert (the kind of drainage pipe you drive over) it came at me from about 15 feet away with the intention of biting me and I kicked it twice. It got the message and turned back around.

Now rattlers, me and two other guys ran over a huge rattler in the road back and forth in a little mazda truck. It was as big around as your arm and four times as long. Didnt seem to faze it one bit. We got out and poked at it for fun with pipe wrenches until it decided it had enough and it boogied off into the scrub brush.

Fun with reptiles.

I saw a nice green striped 'racer" looking 30 in. snake just last weekend sunning itself. Very cool bright green stripes, no poison, just cool looking.

Lotsa snakes in Texas, even places without water.

outdoorman
06-16-2005, 21:22
There is a guy here in Georgia who is an expert on snakes. He is demand speaking at outdoors events,school classes, bass pro shop events and such. I cant recall his name but he handles and educates hundreds all over the state about snakes. Anyway, I've heard him tell about a time when he was in a shallow-type boat with a friend who suddenly swung a paddle or something at a water moccasin or cotton mouth that was in the water. The snake sort of inflated it self and rose up high enough to board the boat. Now they had to destroy the snake cause nothing was going to stop it from getting them. This validates what chevy01234 was saying about these snakes.

I do wonder if one were just wading or sitting along the bank fishing, would a cotton mouth or moccasin attack unprovoked?
When I am out in the woods fishing or such, I just try to watch where I step. Fortunately, it's been pretty rare that I see snakes then.
I sometimes carry a 22 or 22mag revolver with 'snakeshot'.:)

TitansFan
06-17-2005, 15:49
http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/cotton.htm

deadeyeluke
06-19-2005, 10:13
im a diver and snorkel alot when i was growing up been chased by two water mocassins for no reason , just kicked like crazy with the fins once and it worked and i hauled ass on the other.x swim team with fins can do 50 yards in about 20 seconds have no idea what a snke can do but i never saw him agein.also got chased by a snappig turtle those things look like some prehastoric critter underwater. i come out of the water like a salmon and landed in the boat and had to take crap from my buddy for the rest of the day.so i believe

nickE10mm
06-22-2005, 18:25
This....