Gas Quality??????? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gas Quality???????

SavageDragon
05-03-2005, 06:51
I have a 2000 Camaro Z28. It only has 29,000 miles and has been kept up with no breaks except the power window motor. Last summer my "check engine" light came on so i went and had it tested. THey told me it was bad gas. THey said to run it out and put new gas in and maybe a gas treatment bottle (STP Top Fuel). I did that and my light went out. Recently, every time i fill my tank and run maybe 20 miles the light comes back on. I add a bottle of that stuff (stp, or dry gas or whatever) and it goes out. Has anyone else experienced this?? I read what i could find and the computer in the car reads the quality of gas and even going from Premium to Regular could do this. I never use regular, always premium, but it appears to be the same anymore. I hope this makes sense. It really angers me to think what i suspect and know there's nothing i can do about it. As high as gas prices already are, i have to buy gas cleaner to put in a fresh tank. geez!

Rob1035
05-03-2005, 07:49
ok, you simply should not have to use a fuel treatment on a street motor. period. there is something else wrong, can you pull a fault code when you get the CEL? maybe bad cats, 02 sensors or something, I dont know...

fnfalman
05-03-2005, 08:17
I got bad gas in my various cars before and usually they just stumble, stutter and die while idling. But the engine check light never went on and usually running the hell out of the car and topping out with gas from another place would fix the problem. I think that you got something else wrong with the engine or the sensor.

CZ-75A
05-03-2005, 15:27
I had diesel contaminated gas, which, coupled with a weak coil, put me out of action to the tune of $500 to replace coil, rotor, plugs and drain my tank (along with diagnosis labor). At least the towing was covered by insurance and I renewed my AAA membership consequently.

I found out that Hyundais are much better rental cars than Fords too. ;)

Rob1035
05-03-2005, 15:31
I won't discount bad gas in the original poster's problem, but multiple tanks? Unless he's filling up at the same exact station (which I hope isnt the case), there must be something else going on.

Honestly, I think that LS1 is trash, i'll give you my address and you can just ship it to me, it would fit perfectly under the hood of my E30;)

epsylum
05-03-2005, 16:37
Have yo tried a different grade or brand of gas? I have had this problem with my 95 cougar XR7 and it was usually due to some crap cheapo gas I put in becasue I was poor. I fill 'er up with top grade shell or amaco and the light goes out. I try to stay away from ultra cheapo gas now and stick with at least bottom grade amaco/BP or shell.

streeter69
05-04-2005, 06:01
It does happen about twice a year, they switch gas blends. That could be it. It also could be that you filled up just after the gas station had there tanks filled. The best gas I found is Texaco and chevron. They run techrolene in there gas which is a cleaner.
I have to run premium in my GT and I also run fuel cleaner about every 5 tanks.

epsylum
05-04-2005, 07:17
Originally posted by streeter69
It also could be that you filled up just after the gas station had there tanks filled.

Yeah I heard about that. After they fill up, all the junk gets all mixed up with the gas. It takes a while for it to settle at the bottom again.