stomach exercises [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : stomach exercises

garythenuke
05-04-2005, 08:14
What do you guys do for your gut to make it bomb proof? I have seen the Pilltes videos, the Scott Helvenston (rest in peace) videos, the Chris Caracci videos, and read the muscle mag articles.

What do you guys who fight do to keep youselves from doubling over from a punch/knee/shinkick to the midsection? I am talking about from the armpits to the hip bones and all the way around. Do you just do thousands of crunches and leg lifts???? I am not interested in a ripped v-shaped midsection, I want a functional barrel of lean protective meat.

Roundeyesamurai
05-04-2005, 09:46
Hi Gary-

Sorry to burst your bubble, bud, but 90% of recovering from blows to the midsection is in breathing, not in muscularity. The ability to sharply exhale when struck in the midsection, is what allows for that recovery.

As far as abdominal workouts, I use Total Gym. Every exercise you perform on TG also requires the use of your abdomen to keep you in the correct posture. There are also abdomen-specific exercises which are performed on it, which (to me) are much better than anything you'll get off of a video tape. Another benefit, is the ability to add resistance to your abdominal workout.

garythenuke
05-04-2005, 09:58
No bubble to burst:) I posted this question because I knew I was not doing it right. The video's were not doing what I wanted them to, and I have no access to competent trainers. Thanks for your input.
Gary

bluemeanie
05-04-2005, 10:39
Roundeye, what do you think of prgressive contact drills, wherein one takes a light kick/punch to the breadbasket and trains himself to respond immediately with a punch or kick?

Roundeyesamurai
05-04-2005, 10:59
Blue-

Any kind of contact is better than none; with regards to progressive contact drills, if the 'progressive contact' applied actually fits with the way in which the individual student should work, then they're a good thing.

The drills should involve movement- if you're in a position where you're getting hit, then the drill should involve moving off, moving in, etc. If the drill serves only to stay in place and 'duke it out', then it amounts to 'training to take a beating', which is counterproductive (it would be reinforcing the freeze response).

In my own dojo, I do something similar- except, being an aikido school, the drill is practiced in the event of a technique failing- the student moves off while recieveing the blow, to reestablish ma-ai. In moving off (the line), I train them to move away, not to move directly backward, because this allows the opponent to continue laying on the attack.

garythenuke
05-04-2005, 12:53
I have a good friend who used to box. He said something like what Blue is suggesting. He said that along with situps and hanging leg raises, just getting punched in the gut a bunch of times and dealing with it did wonders for the mid section.
One of the best things I have actually found to improve my midsection are heavy squats and heavy deadlifts. I guess my stomach muscles had to get stronger to deal with the crushing downward forces. I suppose this proves, again, to me that a HEAVY, but sensible, lifting program works just about everything in the body just about better than anything else. It would appear that I was looking for some sort of magic bullet(AGAIN) ;Q ;Q

Thanks to everyone for responding, any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Gary

bluemeanie
05-04-2005, 20:01
Went to class tonight, and had my instructor hittng me in the gut as we did crunches, and throwing knife-hands at the same spot as I did my kata to see if I'd exhaled enough when I was supposed to;f

I'm thinkin' old-school is the way to go, but I'll get back to you in the morning to say for sure.

cheers

garythenuke
05-04-2005, 20:36
Man, that sounds like the ideal way to do it. What a great idea. You are very fortunate to have available to you an instructor willing to do that. Let us know if you are sore tomorrow.

bluemeanie
05-05-2005, 10:17
Not too sore in the abs today, but my legs are screamin from spending so long in a horse stance.

sigman69
05-26-2005, 12:57
medicine balls seem to work well....