what's a good non-fiction book [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what's a good non-fiction book

QUEENGLOCK
05-04-2005, 13:31
hello to all, what would you suggest as a good non-fiction book.
all replies are welcomed.

mudfootball
05-05-2005, 10:13
its a read that is tough to put down I believe i would classify it as "based on a true story" if you saw the movie the book might not be as good
kt

Blaster
05-05-2005, 18:01
Non-fiction is a pretty broad classification. Perhaps you should express your interests or try to narrow down the possibilities.

Give these a try.

BlackHawk Down by Mark Bowden
In the Company of Heros by Michael Durant
Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney
Men in Black by Mark Levin
American Soldier by Tommy Franks
Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab
Generation Kill: Devil Dogs, Iceman, Captain America and the New Face of American War by Evan Wright
Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad by David Zucchino

QUEENGLOCK
05-05-2005, 20:35
thank you to all, this should keep me busy for a while.;f

axel
05-10-2005, 16:26
I'm reading a great book called, The Long Walk, by Slavomir Racwicz.

Story of five men who were imprisoned in a Soviet gulag in the early 1940s. Their crime? Being Polish. They escape the camp in Northern Siberia and trek across the Mongolian plateau, the Gobi desert and the Himilayas to reach India.

Another19
05-14-2005, 23:40
A book that focuses on content over writing style - Walk for Justice by Harry Goodwolf Kindness.

I don't know just how non-fiction it is for an autobiograpyh, but The Education of Little Tree was a wonderful book.

Journey to Justice by Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr.

sp3worker
05-18-2005, 01:02
Anything from Hunter S. Thompson is good reading.

Glockgirl26
05-18-2005, 14:15
Cold Zero, by Special Agent Christopher Whitcomb. Not too far into it yet, but so far, so good.

locosteelersfan
05-18-2005, 20:25
American Soldier-600 pages but excellent
Liberalism is a Mental Disorder by Michael Savage
(it's worth having around just for someone to see the title)
Terrorist Hunter by annonymous (great storytell0
Winning the Future by N.Gingrich
Treachery by Bill Gertz

jacquejet
05-19-2005, 09:14
Has anyone read Robert Rourk's "The Old Man and the Boy." Am half-way through it and it is a wonderful read.

ajstrider
05-26-2005, 03:27
Cold Zero that someone mentioned is a good one. Story about an FBI HRT guy.

Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior book is a good one, and if you like him he has like 8 or 9 fictional books he has written.

leehyatt
05-26-2005, 15:11
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Binky .357
05-26-2005, 15:32
"We Were Soliders Once, and Young"

Kevin108
05-26-2005, 15:39
I'm going to order a copy of No Lights, No Sirens by Robert Cea to see what it's all about. Sounded interesting.

05-27-2005, 17:41
"foot soldier: a combat infantryman's war in europe" by roscoe blunt

Another19
05-27-2005, 22:43
Mark Vonnegut's book (Kurt's son), The Eden Express.

vincent63
05-28-2005, 22:00
"in the wake of the plague;the black death and the world it made"by norman cantor

"don't know much about history,dont know much about geography,dont know much about the bible,dont know much about the universe"all by kenneth c davis

"the gangs of new york" by herbert asbury

"the third chimpanzee,,,and guns,germs and steel...the fates of human societies" by jared diamond

"the boys from new jersey...how the mob beat the feds" by robert rudolph

"rebel hearts...journeys within the ira soul" by kevin toolis

"in search of ancient ireland...the origins of the irish from neolithic times to the coming of the english" by carmel mccaffrey and leo eaton

"lies my teacher told me...everything your american history textbook got wrong" by james w. loewen

"holy war...the crusades and their impact on today's world" by karen armstrong

axel
06-02-2005, 06:45
John Krakauer's books, Into the Wild & Into Thin Air.

robwebbg22
06-07-2005, 16:54
I read a LOT!! and brian haig is awesome better then demille folliet ludlum all the greats!! He has 5 books out an I loved them all!

ChinaCave
06-20-2005, 21:06
Twenty Million Tons Under the Sea By Daniel V. Gallery - the capture of the U-505

Doorknob Five Two by Frederic Arnold - P-38 fighter pilot (Jewish) captured by the Nazis in Sicily

Hunting Warbirds, The Obsesive quest for the lost aircraft of WWII by Carl Hoffman - story of trying to fly a B-29 off the Greenland icecap, as well as others....

Three great books - best is the sub book - they guy is a fine, fine writer....

Bill73
02-04-2008, 12:08
"In the lonely blackness, I could almost taste the finiteness of
life and thus it's preciousness. We take it for granted, but it
is fragile, precarious, uncertain, able to cease at any instant
without notice. I was reminded of what should be obvious but too
often is not, that each day, each hour and minute, is worth
cherishing"....."Marley and Me" Author, John Grogan

APD
02-26-2008, 19:18
Non-fiction is a pretty broad classification. Perhaps you should express your interests or try to narrow down the possibilities.

Give these a try.

BlackHawk Down by Mark Bowden
In the Company of Heros by Michael Durant
Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney
Men in Black by Mark Levin
American Soldier by Tommy Franks
Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab
Generation Kill: Devil Dogs, Iceman, Captain America and the New Face of American War by Evan Wright
Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad by David Zucchino

I have only read a few of the above but they are well worth it,+1.
I also read Roberts Ridge, On Combat and On Killing (both Col Grossman).
I would recommend them to anybody.

jacquejet
02-26-2008, 21:15
I read "Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy" by Ian W. Toll a little while ago. An excellent book on the early US Navy and the actions fought by those ships.

MrMurphy
02-27-2008, 06:39
The majority of these are excellent.

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth (while somewhat dated on some things, being written in the early 80s) is excellent book on life in general and shooting/hunting as well.
C Stories (both of them written by Jeff Cooper) is good also.

Hunting-wise anything written by Robert Ruark is good.

I have about seven bookshelves (the floor to ceiling kind) FULL of books. Only 2 of those are fiction. As a medieval re-enactor, student of military/medieval history, I can name a LONG LONG list of excellent books I own you can either find in a library or buy.

Dean
02-27-2008, 06:43
On Combat and On Killing (both Col Grossman).

+1
I just ordered those. They just came today.

fourdeuce2
02-27-2008, 17:44
I just finished reading The Terrible Hours, by Peter Maas. It's the story of the sinking of the USS Squalus, and also covers a big chunk of Swede Momsen's life. Well written and interesting.

Two-Gun Mary
03-01-2008, 21:21
I'm reading a great book called, The Long Walk, by Slavomir Racwicz.

Story of five men who were imprisoned in a Soviet gulag in the early 1940s. Their crime? Being Polish. They escape the camp in Northern Siberia and trek across the Mongolian plateau, the Gobi desert and the Himilayas to reach India.

What an awesome story! They endured incredible hardships and made it through.

Aquanewt
03-02-2008, 20:18
I read "The Terrible Hours" as well and recommend it. I enjoyed Joseph Wambaugh's non fiction as much as his fiction although I was sorry to hear that the case in "Echoes in the Darkness" is under appeal and Wambaugh may have a part in it. "The Blooding" is the story of a massiveinvestigation in England involving the early use of DNA evidence.

Sundown
03-10-2008, 01:18
Try Terror at Beslan by John Giduck. It'll change your life

Shondratasha
03-12-2008, 00:54
Mind if I throw in some business books?

Crucial Conversations - Patterson, et al.
The Influencer - Patterson, et al.
Guns, Germs, and Steel - (economics but readable)
The OZ Principle - Tom Smith, Roger Connor, Craig Hickman (this will probably be the next "Who Moved my Cheese?")

And back to the original topic -

I love all the Marcinko books autobiography, business and fiction.

GAC
03-12-2008, 15:55
I STILL have not read Giduck's book. I'm afraid to actually. I'll get in a tizzy worrying about the local schools.

Seamus O'Connor
03-12-2008, 22:37
"33 Strategies of War" by Robert Greene. Very much a modern-day "Art of War" with everyday relevance.

axel
03-15-2008, 21:51
Sea of Gray, Tom Chaffin
Story of the only Confederate warship to circumnavigate the globe. Great read.

A Question of Honor, Lynn Olsen, Stanley Cloud
Story of Polish fighter pilots in the Battle of Britain. Also a great read.

The Cuckoo's Egg, Clifford Stoll
Story of the first international internet hacker, how he was discovered, and how an out of work astronomer tracked him down.

DenaliPark
03-20-2008, 11:00
If you can stomach the unrelenting liberal bias, "Blackwater" by Jeremy Scahill is about as spooky as non-fiction work can be. They were the apple of Don Rumsfelds eye and their upper echelon is like a who's who of the Extreme right wing intellegentsia. If you haven't heard of the book, it really should be mandatory reading, It's exactly what Dwight was warning us about after WWII. But it has thorns, the guy who wrote it is a flaming liberal and it permeates his writing, so you have to sift it at times, and that can be tedious. Otherwise, a superb expose of the worlds most sinister mercenary army and it's Washington elite board of directors.

CJMello
03-20-2008, 11:26
Ghost Soldiers.