WMV files. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WMV files.

Falcon501
05-04-2005, 16:12
How would I change a .WMV file (video) to a file that Quicktime will understand? My WMP isn't working. Thanks.

Dandapani
05-04-2005, 20:20
You need some kind of video editting software such as Adobe Premier.

Washington,D.C.
05-04-2005, 20:49
http://videolan.org/vlc/ First, in the output settings sheet, make sure Encapsulation Method is "MPEG 1". 1. Open the movie in VLC.
2. Check to see if it plays right. If it doesn't, you're out of luck.
3. If it does, close it. Really.
4. Choose "Open File" from the file menu.
5. In the dialog box that pops up, click "Browse..." and find the file you want.
6. Check "Advanced output..." and click "Settings...".
7. In the insanely complicated sheet that popped up and scared you (don't panic), make sure the "File" radio button is selected. Click "Browse..." and save it wherever you want the final product to go. Make sure the extension (part after the dot) is "mpg", not "ts".
8. Make sure the "Video" and "Audio" boxes are checked and that the menus next to them are set to "mp1v" and "mpga", respectively.
9. Click OK, and OK again (to close the sheet and open the file).
10. Play the movie. All the way through.
11. Congrats! You should have a Quicktime-able video now!

Falcon501
05-06-2005, 10:03
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
http://videolan.org/vlc/ First, in the output settings sheet, make sure Encapsulation Method is "MPEG 1". 1. Open the movie in VLC.
2. Check to see if it plays right. If it doesn't, you're out of luck.
3. If it does, close it. Really.
4. Choose "Open File" from the file menu.
5. In the dialog box that pops up, click "Browse..." and find the file you want.
6. Check "Advanced output..." and click "Settings...".
7. In the insanely complicated sheet that popped up and scared you (don't panic), make sure the "File" radio button is selected. Click "Browse..." and save it wherever you want the final product to go. Make sure the extension (part after the dot) is "mpg", not "ts".
8. Make sure the "Video" and "Audio" boxes are checked and that the menus next to them are set to "mp1v" and "mpga", respectively.
9. Click OK, and OK again (to close the sheet and open the file).
10. Play the movie. All the way through.
11. Congrats! You should have a Quicktime-able video now! Thank you ;f

Washington,D.C.
05-06-2005, 17:13
Winamp should be able to play the WMV file.Not convert it but you can watch it http://majorgeeks.com/download2490.html

Washington,D.C.
05-06-2005, 17:14
If your are using a Mac that won't work.

Falcon501
05-06-2005, 17:17
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
If your are using a Mac that won't work. I am using Wimdows XP and I'm downloading that file right now. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks!

Falcon501
05-06-2005, 17:41
Great..It worked. Thanks a lot!!! ;f

Jtemple
05-06-2005, 22:17
Have you tried removing Media Player and then re-installing it? You might be better off getting Media Player running again.

Falcon501
05-09-2005, 11:18
Originally posted by Jtemple
Have you tried removing Media Player and then re-installing it? You might be better off getting Media Player running again. How would I do that? Go to add/remove programs? If thats it, I've tried it with no luck. ;Q

Jtemple
05-10-2005, 09:54
Add/Remove programs, also go to Add/Remove Windows Components and make sure you remove them both. The, download a new version of Media Player and install it.

Falcon501
05-10-2005, 11:38
Add/Remove programs, also go to Add/Remove Windows Components and make sure you remove them both. The, download a new version of Media Player and install it. Where is the add/remove windows components?

Jtemple
05-10-2005, 18:40
In Windows XP/2000:
Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Look for the big Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left.

In Windows 98:
Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup Tab.

You may be prompted for your Windows 98 CD when you remove anything.

Falcon501
05-10-2005, 18:48
In Windows XP/2000:
Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Look for the big Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left.

In Windows 98:
Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup Tab.

You may be prompted for your Windows 98 CD when you remove anything. Didn't work. It said the setup couldn't be completed. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with WinAmp. Thanks anyways though :)