Horse stance training [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Horse stance training

bluemeanie
05-05-2005, 10:26
I still have a little trouble holding this stance long enough to do all the classwork it's required for. Recently I had a little layoff from class and it shows, mostly with my horse stance. I feel like I squatted 500lbs yesterday.

Since we're learning a new kata that uses it extensively, I need to hit it hard to prepare for upcoming classes. Can I train in this stance every day, or give my legs a rest for a day in between? Should I do a combination of both the static stance and the Kata on the same day or split them up?

Feel free to add a "the horse stance is crap" response, but one will do. We do not use it as a fighting stance, but it is used momentarily to apply some one-steps and in the kata, and to strengthen the quadriceps.

Thanks in advance

garythenuke
05-05-2005, 11:21
Have you ever seen any of the SCARS system tapes?? They use the horse stance as a strengthening movement. Starting from a horse stance the use crossover steps and lunges and knee drops all held statically for up to a minute. For conditioning I think it is fine.
For fighting it is not worth much but it does do well for building your strength. Since your legs are so sore, it seems that they were hit pretty hard. Generally I do not like to train sore muscles. You may find that as you do more of it, you will be able to go every day because you will no longer be getting sore.

That's about all I know about horse stances.

bluemeanie
05-05-2005, 11:46
Thanks Gary. I'm inclined to lay off for today, definitely. Maybe in a week or so I can split it up, perform the kata, where we stay in stance as we walk, then the next day hold the stance and do "mountain climbers" an exercise we do in-stance, sort of a limited range-of-motion squat. On class days, we combine them, hence the soreness.;1

Ironeagle74
05-05-2005, 22:15
bluemeanie, what do you train?

bluemeanie
05-06-2005, 13:57
Sorry, Ironeagle, I need to scale back my posting, I'm following too many threads lately. If you mean what style, It's American Goju Karate. It's more or less Peter Urban's offshoot of Okinawan Goju-Ryu. I'm too new at it to fully explain it, but I think it has more wrestling/throws than the Okinawa style.

Mushinto
05-07-2005, 09:04
1. Make sure that you have some tension in your legs while practicing the kiba-dachi. If you relax too much, you will put too much strain on the muscles on the top of your thigh. Uniform tension throughout the legs will make for a stronger stance that you will be able to maintain longer.

2. Practice slow stretching. Most people don't realize that it takes a lot of flexibility to maintain a low stance. Stretching can and should be done every day. Several short stretching sessions daily are even better.

3. You can train every day, but if you work a specific muscle a lot, you should give it a day or two of rest.

3. Breathe. (This is always mentioned in any tip)

USA Goju is a very strong and versatile style of Karate. If you have a good teacher, you have made a great choice.

ML

bluemeanie
05-07-2005, 18:30
Mushinto, those are all things I am NOT currently doing, and I plan on implementing every suggestion straight-away. Thanks a bunch.