Computer freaking out ##########???????? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer freaking out ##########????????

firedude
05-06-2005, 09:39
Help - my computer screen appears to be in safe mode (windows 98) but I don't think it is. Everything on the screen looks completely different from normal. I can not move the slider to change the settings on the screen area from 640 x 480. The slider will not move for some reason. What's up with that? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

David_G17
05-06-2005, 10:06
sounds like a video card driver issue.

right click "my computer"
go to properties and then click device manager.

is anything listed with a yellow exclamation point beside it?

firedude
05-06-2005, 11:48
David G17 - there is an exclamation mark next to Display Adapters - S3 Graphics Prosavage DDR also next to Other Devices - PCI communications device. What does this mean and what do I do??

Thank you

aspartz
05-06-2005, 12:33
Originally posted by firedude
David G17 - there is an exclamation mark next to Display Adapters - S3 Graphics Prosavage DDR also next to Other Devices - PCI communications device. What does this mean and what do I do??

Thank you
That means. most likely, you do not have the correct drivers installed for the devices you specified. In VERY rare cases, the card itself may be dead. First try to download a driver from the website of the card's vendor. If that does not work, you can download a generic driver for that video card (display adapter) HERE (http://www.techspot.com/drivers/index/file/information/1757) . That's for win2k/XP, if you're running something else, you can google it and download apppropriately,

There is also a sim chance that there is a conflict between the "PCI communications device" (which is likely a modem/NIC).

Good Luck

ARS

David_G17
05-06-2005, 12:37
Originally posted by firedude

Thank you

i would try running this http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/s3proddr9xsecdownload.html

(may take a minute to load, but it should give you a downloadable driver).

McGlockerson
05-06-2005, 13:51
I thought that the problem was he was running an operating system that is 7 years old.

David_G17
05-06-2005, 14:01
Originally posted by McGlockerson
I thought that the problem was he was running an operating system that is 7 years old.

nah, windows XP has the same "features".