Advice on fixing mouse [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fixing mouse

B. Somm
05-06-2005, 14:15
One of the clicker buttons on my mouse seems to have died. Is there a way to take it apart and fix it? The last time I looked at new meeses, they were all laser or wireless types, which I don't like. I did find one with the ball that I use for my laptop, but it's not as nice as my original mouse*, but does ok for the time being. I would prefer my old mouse or one just like it!

How would I take it apart? The "right clicker" works, but the main "left clicker" is the one that no longer allows me to "click" on stuff.

Thanks!
B. Somm :)

*It's a Microsoft scroll mouse with the track ball.

pyblood
05-06-2005, 14:37
Some times you can fix mice, but sometimes you have to break down and buy another one.

Look that the bottom of the mouse and see if you see any screws. If they aren't visible they are probably under the mouse feet (the little plastic stickers that make the mouse glide smoother) There should be about 4 or 5 screws that you'll have to remove. After removing the mouse shell look under the left button and see if there's any dirt or other things that may be stopping it form clicking correctly. Take a look at the base of the mouse and you should be able to see the part that the shell actually clicks. If you can click it with you hand, then it's a problem with the shell.

Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: All of the term used in this post are made up. I don't know what they may actually be called.

Kevin108
05-06-2005, 15:42
A replacement will run you about $20. Most MS mice have a big sticker underneath with a bar code and other info on it. The hole with the screw in it is undernath that sticker. May or may not be fixable. A temoporary solution resides in the software. In your Control Panel | Mouse you can switch the buttons. You can use they keyboard to navigate to this. Ctrl + Esc will bring up your start menu. From there use the arrows on the keyboard to go to to Settings | Control Panel and press Enter. In the Control Panel window use the arrows on the keyboard to go to Mouse and press Enter. When the Mouse Properties comes up, press Space. This should check the box to reverse the buttons. Press Enter to save your settings and close the box. After this, your right mouse button should do all the things the left did.

http://www.kevin108.com/misc/mouse.jpg