what's up with the price of R134a [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what's up with the price of R134a


NRA_guy
05-07-2005, 10:57
Anybody know what's up with R134a (other than the price)?

That's the refrigerant of choice for autos now that the US has banned production of R12.

Last year you could buy it for about $5 per 14 oz can.

This year it's around $10 per can.

Yeah, the 30 lb drums have doubled, too.

Anybody seen any news on why?

Obviousy, the short answer is, "Because they can."

Are we blaming this on the Chinese economic growth (as we are gasoline and everything else?)

streeter69
05-07-2005, 22:30
Last I heard was there was plant closings a few years ago. In Utah the price went up 3X's;P

indytruckboy
05-08-2005, 10:56
They decided to stop making it to raise the prices. Just like R12. There is a new one out now called Freeze12 and it works in both systems. I have a can to top my old 87 off with. I'll let you know how it works.

NRA_guy
05-08-2005, 11:39
How much did the Freeze12 cost?

I have heard of it, but have no experience with it.

Does it use R-134a system line taps?

Just when everybody got rid of their R-12 gauges and line sets, they change to R-134a and make you buy new equipment (at ridiculously high prices.)

Guess everybody has bought R-134a, now it's time to change again.

Ever feel like the consumer is getting ripped off?

CZ-75A
05-08-2005, 13:21
Originally posted by NRA_guy
How much did the Freeze12 cost?

I have heard of it, but have no experience with it.

Does it use R-134a system line taps?

Just when everybody got rid of their R-12 gauges and line sets, they change to R-134a and make you buy new equipment (at ridiculously high prices.)

Guess everybody has bought R-134a, now it's time to change again.

Ever feel like the consumer is getting ripped off?

From what I hear, R-134a is pretty good, but there are better things coming onto market, so i expect this to be a transition phase until they standardize again or decide that it's just too environmentally "unfriendly" for us to have A/C.

SuperJared
06-01-2005, 22:56
Originally posted by indytruckboy
They decided to stop making it to raise the prices. Just like R12. There is a new one out now called Freeze12 and it works in both systems. I have a can to top my old 87 off with. I'll let you know how it works.

This is just plain wrong. They did not stop making R134. Freeze 12 is designed to replace R12. Not R134. 134 is still the standard. A quick google search should confirm this.

Ramtuff
06-02-2005, 06:00
Originally posted by SuperJared
This is just plain wrong. They did not stop making R134. Freeze 12 is designed to replace R12. Not R134. 134 is still the standard.

Correct.

MCKNBRD
06-02-2005, 08:16
R134 is a petroleum product. Like all petroleum products lately, the price has gone up.

We're taking a kick in the teeth at Schneider on the stuff. Its up to around $14 a pound now.

Byrdman

EUPHER49
06-05-2005, 20:29
Originally posted by MCKNBRD
R134 is a petroleum product. Like all petroleum products lately, the price has gone up.

Byrdman

Since when is Tetrafluoroethane a petroleum product?

BTW, FREEZE 12 is a blend of HCFC-142b (20%), HFC-134a (80%) ...

indytruckboy
06-17-2005, 05:30
I was told by our supplier that the plant was closed by DuPont for maintence or something. I very specificly remember being told the plant is closed.

Freeze 12 apears to be for r12 cars, too. Sorry about that. If you know anything about freon then you know that r134a molecules are smaller than r12x so freeze 12(which is designed for r12) may not work in your systems.

I put it in my car and its seems fine.

Mnukedude
08-07-2005, 17:59
Originally posted by SuperJared
This is just plain wrong. They did not stop making R134. Freeze 12 is designed to replace R12. Not R134. 134 is still the standard. A quick google search should confirm this.

Where can you get freeze 12?