Any Fire Safe testimonials? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Fire Safe testimonials?

Viper_Audio
05-08-2005, 09:15
Hello,

I am very curious about 1st hand testimonials about how well a given safe holds up in a house fire.

Can anyone share any 1st or even 2nd hand stories related to safes, and how they held up in a fire? How did the contents fare?

Thanks

gloxter
05-15-2005, 17:29
Since no one replied, I'll take a shot at it. I own a Liberty Safe and am very happy with it. Liberty showrooms generally run a sale around Labor Day weekend (I believe, might be Memorial Day weekend). Anyhow, their safes are warranted FOR LIFE against BOTH fire, and break-in attempt. Your house catches fire, you get a new safe. Someone tries to force their way into your safe, you get a new safe. I know of no other safe manufacturer that offers such a warranty. I might get flamed for preaching Liberty Safes here, but the warranty, security, finishes, and price did it for me. The only caveat is that you have a locksmith service the safe once a year. That's about $50.00. Whatever you do, just get a safe. The time to realize you need one ISN'T after you've been ripped off. Also, buy the biggest one you can afford! Mine was about $1,000 on sale, and I picked it up at the store. Take a look at www.libertysafe.com Good luck. -gloxter:cool:

oldstyle
05-29-2005, 17:50
I've only seen one gun safe during a fire and have no idea what brand it was. I can tell you the fire ruined the house but the safe stood tall. I didn't get to see inside, but the contents had to be in better shape than the rest of the wet and charred belongings.

pevrs114
05-29-2005, 22:42
someone posted a thread in the AR forum here at GT about a structure fire at his residence, which consumed the better portion of the contents of his safe. Said his glock's frame was melted down the side of his AR, etc, IIRC.

The title was some kind of "think it'll shoot" or "war torn look" or something like that, if you want to go find it.

D25
09-10-2005, 21:22
I had one of the el-cheapo Sentry safes when my house burned down. It protectd the stuff that was in it fairly well. When I recovered it, it had sealed itself by the plastic on the lid melting, just like it was supposed to. Some of the papers inside were slightly charred, and they were quite brittle afterwords, but everything was still readable.

Lone Hunter
09-14-2005, 06:38
Well I have worked for Sentry Group in the past for 9 years, my wife over 20. I have 15 years on the job as a ff. Sentry is the worlds largest fire safe maker. A true leader in the field. In fact one of a very few companies that U.L. lets test their own stuff.

That said they got tons of letters from folks who lost all but what was in their safe. I have seen perhaps two at fires. They work and work well.I would buy larger then you think you'll need.

As far as melting Glocks. these safes are for protecting important PAPERS and such. Now there are fire resistant gun safes but I'm talking Sentry products. One must look at the ratings, ie 1/2 hour at 1,200 degrees or 1 hour at 1,700, while keeping the inside temp down. Most are made to keep paper below its charing point. Glocks may melt before paper chars.