Non-martial artist has a question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Non-martial artist has a question

joemerchant24
05-09-2005, 12:40
Any recommended references for Kubaton technique? I know a class is optimal, but are there any other references worth reading?

I just purchased a Surefure e2d for the wife and thought Kubaton techniques would translate well.

Any advice or suggestions are welcomed.

Roundeyesamurai
05-09-2005, 13:37
Oh, the Kubotan... probably the most misunderstood weapon around.

In terms of "kubotan techniques", here's what I recommend:

Being a "non-martial-artist", I'd recommend you dispense with attempting joint locks, pressure point strikes, and so forth;

I'd recommend you grasp the light firmly in your fist, raise it over your head, and smash down onto whatever you want to hit.

Seriously, without any significant training, that's is about the best you can hope for. Proficiency with a kubotan generally goes hand-in-hand with proficiency in a martial art or combative system which emphasizes joint-manipulation.

joemerchant24
05-09-2005, 13:49
Oh, no worries, Samurai, I have absolutely no interest in learning wrist locks, submission holds, etc. I have no intention of staying that close to a BG.

My interest is strictly in smash the BG and get the hell outta Dodge.

What I'm wondering about is where to smash the BG. If I don't have to use LF, I'm avoiding the temple.

I'm just wondering what the most effective targets to aim for are.

my untrained opinion:
Cartoid artery
Forehead (open skin, blood in eyes)
Any bony part (collar bone, wrist)

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

Roundeyesamurai
05-09-2005, 14:18
Well, a small correction: If it's not lethal force, don't use a kubotan. They're considered a deadly weapon in many states. It's an implement capable of breaking bones, and breaking bones qualifies as deadly force. That said, however, without any training, a kubotan isn't really going to give you a great advantage.

In terms of where to strike with it- bony targets. Forget the carotid artery. Forget the forehead, as well, since it is designed to take impacts. Instead, concentrate on striking the top of the head (between the forhead and the crown), the temples, the cheekbones, and the collarbones.

Frankly, without any training, I would recommend just striking the face in general, repeatedly (as though wielding a chisel), until the desired effect is achieved.

Fedaykin
05-09-2005, 19:25
"If it's not lethal force, don't use a kubotan. They're considered a deadly weapon in many states. "

Since this is certainly the case, I'm partial to carrying an ASP Key Defender. It's a gnurled-grip, anodized aluminum cylinder that also contains OC spray (about six bursts worth spray from the "icepick" side of the gripped cylinder). The regular and large sizes are both comparable to a kubotan, and I have found that I can do all of the kubotan striking and grappling techniques that I know with the ASP. I have pulled it twice in self-defense, and it is nice to know that if the OC doesn’t take an attacker out, you have a nice aluminum striking implement in you hand. ASP also makes training inserts for it, so you can practice spraying a resisting training partner to get a feel for range, blowback, etc. Check out http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/defender.htm.

Temet nosce,
Fedaykin.

garythenuke
05-09-2005, 19:31
I carry an E2D daily. It is bright as heck and is made to take an impact. I carry it in my left front pocket and my folding knife in my right. I use the light all the time anyway at night. Walking to the car, coming out of the movie or restaurant are good examples. Just the fact that you have a bright light and you are using to to illuminate your path makes you seem like a prepared person. BG's absolutely hate that.
As for striking, I agree with the previous post, just ice pick to anything on the head to upper torso until you can get away. Do not forget a blast of light to the BG's eyes to keep him blind. Sit in a dark room for a few minutes and then pump that E2D beam into your eyes for a split second. Then stand up and try to walk out of the room.... The brightness of that light is as good a weapon as the scalloped bezel. I would avoid the complicated joint locks and pressure point techniques. THose are doomed to failure in a real encounter IMHO.

Good choice on the light^c
garythenuke

joemerchant24
05-10-2005, 08:23
Thanks, Gary. I was hoping to hear from another Defender owner.

I tried somethign similar using my M6 when I first got it last year. 90 lumens is a whole buncha fun in a dark room.

As I've said, I would never even consider something like a pressure point or joint lock. I want a quick, direct application of violence then exit stage left.