AGP vs PCIe? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AGP vs PCIe?

JinLA
05-10-2005, 17:58
I'm looking to buy a new comp, my current one is going on 6.
I play my fair share of 3D games, and do other graphics intensive stuff like photo editing and DVD watching.

I've been thinking of a Dell around $600.
I noticed on the their website that they dont make anything with an AGP slot. They've gone to chipsets with PCIexpress, or sell comps with only integrated video on the chipset and no AGP or PCIe (scary!)

I've been out of the market for a good while, so I don't know what's available for a decent and not too pricey graphics card in either AGP or PCIe...
should I go for the Dell and hope that I can get something suitable for PCIe? Or get something else with good old AGP?

Is PCIe going to replace AGP?

thanks!

Washington,D.C.
05-10-2005, 19:26
Apple just came out with their new Macs and they still have AGP.If you are getting a Dell you should really consider a Dimension 8400 as the cheaper models are made by a Chinese company now.PCI express doesn't have any real advantage.It's just another "upgrade" to keep people buying new PC's.Future PC's will likely all be 64 bit and it won't really be worth trying to upgrade an an older PC by that time.

ronin_asano
05-10-2005, 19:40
yes. pci-express will smoke agp. get a decent pci-e card.

Glock Bob
05-10-2005, 20:07
All indications point to everyone moving to PCIe. I'm not so sure that it will smoke AGP at this point, per se, but it is where things are heading and will no doubt one-up AGP as more and more technology is put into it and AGP slowly goes the way of the buffalo. If you're going to go Dell be sure to get a higher-end model. The lower-end models tend to be somewhat lacking. I had a friend that bought one and it came with a Mini-ATX mobo and he had to switch it out with his dad's so he could add more peripherals.

Soujurn
05-10-2005, 22:50
In the latest games and between the top end cards there is very little difference between AGP 8x and PCI express.
I doubt you could tell by looking at two computers, one with 8x and the other with PCIex which had which.

Eventually the PCIex will surpass AGP, but who knows if anything will be accomplished by it except bragging rights among geeks who worry about frame rates and over clocking GPU's.

cjp85
05-11-2005, 17:10
If you plan on keeping it for a few years and consistently upgrade your video card, go with a PCI Express. The cards aren't much different price wise and while AGP will handle any card out there, the technology will get to a point where the PCI-e speed is needed.

Washington,D.C.
05-11-2005, 17:20
In a few years a $700 PC won't likely be worth upgrading to the latest most expensive graphics card.I wouldn't buy a PC based on potential upgrades years later.By that time it's either use it as-is or replace it with a more modern PC.The Dell Dimension 8400 does have PCI Express and is the best deal Dell has right now.As things look right now,It looks like 64 bit PC's are the future.

ngray
05-11-2005, 17:34
pcie isn't any more expensive. I have it, like it. only reason to go agp is if you want a really cheap system with an older cheapo video board, which, I suppose, is a valid reason.

Washington,D.C.
05-11-2005, 17:50
There aren't any applications that tax AGP.The bandwidth "advantage" of PCI-Express isn't anymore useable than AGP.Bigger and faster is sometimes just to get people to keep buying new PC's,etc.I remember when USB ports came out there were absolutely no USB devices available.By the time USB became popular the early PC's with USB ports weren't useable for such devices.Betamax tapes are better than VHS.DAT is great tape but never caught on.Mini DVD's hold more music and data than fullsize CD's but those haven't been replaced.

fastvfr
05-11-2005, 23:23
The reason for PCIe is to allow for more bandwidth to the card, which makes 512MB or more texture memory on the video/graphics processing unit's PCB worthwhile.

With AGP 8X your FSB is limited in how much data can be sent to the vid card per second compared to PCIe, but since even the highest-dollar 256MB cards on the market do not saturate the AGP 8X's pipe, more bandwidth is useless. Until the next generation brings us 512MB, 768MB and 1GB cards, that is.

As was said, the cards are priced pretty much the same so get either one; makes no difference, really.

I'd go with the AGP board only if you have a decent AGP card laying around that you'd like to use.

And I'd only go with an OEM machine like a Dell if I lost my mind and learned to speak Sanskrit simultaneously. The monetary savings are so slight and the quality so much lower with a mass-marketed PC that few knowlwdgeable people would ever entertain the notion of buying one.

The thing to do is to buy the parts and assemble the machine yourself.

If you honestly don't have the three hours to spend on this, buy the parts and take them to your favorite PC shop when they arrive; let them do the build for you.

Not only will you have primo parts and local tech support, but you will have LONGER, SEPARATE warranties on the various parts rather than that BS 1 year 'blanket' warranty.

I don't know of anyone who was as happy with any OEM machine as they are with a white box PC I build for them...and what's more, you get a REAL copy of XP rather than the OEM's Restore Disk crapola.

Trust me, you don't want a Dell or any other mainstream POS PC unless you like stress, headaches and totally avoidable downtime more than most people!

Good luck!

Sulaco
05-18-2005, 06:49
Originally posted by fastvfr
The reason for PCIe is to allow for more bandwidth to the card, which makes 512MB or more texture memory on the video/graphics processing unit's PCB worthwhile.

With AGP 8X your FSB is limited in how much data can be sent to the vid card per second compared to PCIe, but since even the highest-dollar 256MB cards on the market do not saturate the AGP 8X's pipe, more bandwidth is useless. Until the next generation brings us 512MB, 768MB and 1GB cards, that is.

As was said, the cards are priced pretty much the same so get either one; makes no difference, really.

I'd go with the AGP board only if you have a decent AGP card laying around that you'd like to use.

And I'd only go with an OEM machine like a Dell if I lost my mind and learned to speak Sanskrit simultaneously. The monetary savings are so slight and the quality so much lower with a mass-marketed PC that few knowlwdgeable people would ever entertain the notion of buying one.

The thing to do is to buy the parts and assemble the machine yourself.

If you honestly don't have the three hours to spend on this, buy the parts and take them to your favorite PC shop when they arrive; let them do the build for you.

Not only will you have primo parts and local tech support, but you will have LONGER, SEPARATE warranties on the various parts rather than that BS 1 year 'blanket' warranty.

I don't know of anyone who was as happy with any OEM machine as they are with a white box PC I build for them...and what's more, you get a REAL copy of XP rather than the OEM's Restore Disk crapola.

Trust me, you don't want a Dell or any other mainstream POS PC unless you like stress, headaches and totally avoidable downtime more than most people!

Good luck!

+1