My daughter just started karata class [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My daughter just started karata class

Britt
05-11-2005, 12:58
She is three and her first class was last Saturday. She did really well for her first time. It was a 40 minute class and she did well for about 20-25 minutes then she kinda of last her attention which seems to be normal for someone that young.

Any advice that you guys can give me for helping her? She says she can't wait to go back and everday she asks me is it saturday yet.

I am not martial artist myself. I have had some self defense classes and some karata classes and some firearms classes but most of my fighting techniques have been learned in a parking lot somewhere instead of a classroom. ;)

BlackBelt
05-11-2005, 19:42
Wow...3 years old is a little old to be getting into the martial arts, isn't it? Has she been watching the UFC and 'highchair quarterbacking'? jus' kidding...
My Little Ninja classes (3-4 years old) are only 30 minutes long. Like you said, their attention spans start to drift off after that. Plus, I keep the class moving along, so if they don't like something, it's not going to be there long. Lot's of games, lot's of high 5's. I just try to make it fun with a little bit of learning at that age.
Just make it a pleasant experience for her. If she tires of going, don't make her go. As long as she's having fun, she'll want to be there. The 3's and 4's are just there to get used to the environment. Lot's of them continue on as they get older, because they know the 'routine' of the dojo, and they are comfortable there. This is really important when they start to become self-conscious teens. It's a great self-esteem builder, weight loss aid, focus aid, etc.
BTW, I have lot's of adult students that sat around watching the kids classes, and decided to give the adult classes a try. If you are even remotely interested, talk to the instructor. Your daughter and you will make a bond that might give her inspiration later on down the line.
Keep us posted on her progress.

Roundeyesamurai
05-11-2005, 22:30
I have a 3-year-old niece with whom I do a little bit of aikido ("Weekido", as she calls it)- I toss her around a little bit, she tosses me around a little bit, she gets to wear a gi just like mine, etc. It's a really cool deal.

bunkerbuster
05-16-2005, 19:10
I wish my parents encouraged me when I was taking taekwondo when i was a little kid.

Unlike US taekwondo, korean instructor in Korea use some physical force to kids for dicipline and lots of sparing at least in the early 1980s. I don't like it that it may aggregate violence for kids who learns martial arts.

Finding a right master thesedays are so diffilcult. You should go there and evaluate the masters that they are peace loving person.

Hope your kid gets a blackbelt soon!

:)

bunkerbuster
05-16-2005, 19:11
Originally posted by bunkerbuster
I wish my parents encouraged me when I was taking taekwondo when i was a little kid.

Unlike US taekwondo, korean instructor in Korea use some physical force to kids for dicipline and lots of sparing at least in the early 1980s. I don't like it that it may aggregate violence for kids who learns martial arts. Of course that is just one of the bad instructor. There are bunch of nice ones out there.

Finding a right master thesedays are so diffilcult. You should go there and evaluate the masters that they are peace loving person.

Hope your kid gets a blackbelt soon!

sensei
05-16-2005, 21:10
Originally posted by bunkerbuster

Unlike US taekwondo, korean instructor in Korea use some physical force to kids for dicipline and lots of sparing at least in the early 1980s. I don't like it that it may aggregate violence for kids who learns martial arts.

This is the problem with today's so called "Martial Artist"
You are not looking for a "Martial Art". You are looking for a sport or a game or a schoolmaster.

There is nothing wrong with a sport or a game or using exercise to lose weight or teach sportsmanship or whatever.

BUT, DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH A "MARTIAL ART" YOU WILL GET YOURSELF OR SOMEONE ELSE HURT.

All of this is, of course, my personal opinion. But it is the way I feel. If it hurts your feelings maybe you should re-evalueate what you are really looking for. Maybe it is something other than a Martial Art.

sensei

bunkerbuster
05-17-2005, 18:41
Originally posted by sensei
This is the problem with today's so called "Martial Artist"
You are not looking for a "Martial Art". You are looking for a sport or a game or a schoolmaster.

There is nothing wrong with a sport or a game or using exercise to lose weight or teach sportsmanship or whatever.

BUT, DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH A "MARTIAL ART" YOU WILL GET YOURSELF OR SOMEONE ELSE HURT.

All of this is, of course, my personal opinion. But it is the way I feel. If it hurts your feelings maybe you should re-evalueate what you are really looking for. Maybe it is something other than a Martial Art.

sensei

i try not to use the word beat the sh** out of, because I didn't want people to think that some instrcutors are like that.

I know it sounds like i dont like dicipline. I should've been more straight forward.

just substitute Dicipline with "beat the crap out of students"

;z

IDC
06-04-2005, 16:04
very nice britt MA can go a long way to helping kids build confidence and concentration. at 3 y/o it has to be fun for them to keep goin. only thing i can add to this is make sure to stress the importance that this is not something you use on a whim or to show off. Some may say im being exaggerated but you are in a sense giving her a weapon while not as powerful as a firearm it still carrys a responsibility

Roundeyesamurai
06-04-2005, 16:46
Oops, posted in wrong thread.

sigman69
06-10-2005, 06:53
well that is just great....kids usually have a short attention span so keep it simple and short... on the lessons....and show them different stuff to keep it interesting.

robwebbg22
06-16-2005, 13:02
I am a coach/teacher an have a 6 years of karate exp. Anyway i coached elementary physical esucation for 3 years an learned that kids will run through a wall for you an do whatever you ask them to if they love you an you must reach that level with little ones by making everything you do exciting fun an a little challenging to them. I have kids myself. A 6 an 5 year old an will start them in Yoshaki classes this fall. I believe karate is a wonderful tool just like any other sport that improves self worth an lifes little lessons.

Blasko
06-29-2005, 10:04
My daughter (9 yrs) has been taking Karate over the winter for two years now. I help by watching in class, taking the handouts showing stances, katas, and the Japanese words for all the moves and I help her practice at home. Her interest tends to cycle and a long as she is interested I will support her. I have thought about taking the classes with her but I don't believe in it enough to put the proper effort into it.

Dennis Fater
06-29-2005, 20:28
I think that 3 years old is a little young to start in the martial arts. I have been involved in various martial arts since 1971, seen a lot of studios, a lot of instructors. I would suggest that age 5 or 6 is about the youngest to start IF you find an instructor with the right attitude toward kids and one who reinforces what you are trying to teach your kids in terms of character.

One of the earlier posts mentioned the concern that martial arts training in kids might increase aggression. I was involved with some masters candidates in school psychology here who studied this with my encouragement. It had been my impression that kids aggression levels decreased with martial arts training and with the right instructor (one who also taught responsibility). The study showed that in kids in first grade through third grade that with twice per week classes for eight weeks in kids not previously exposed to the martial arts, levels of aggression decreased. Kids in the study who were already in karate (the classes and data collection took place in some local Catholic schools here) were already at lower levels of aggression as measured by psychological instruments at the start and did not change. I would suspect that the instructor would have a big influence on this as some instructors I have seen seem to promote a bullying type of attitude, so parents, choose the instructor carefully for your kid.

sport69
07-06-2005, 22:19
My instructor of JKA Shotokan will not take kids until they are 9 yrs old or unless they have been in other sports growing up that require discipline like gymnastics etc.