Six packs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Six packs?

Glock19Fan
05-11-2005, 16:18
Im looking to get a six pack within the next two months.

Right now, I have a little tone in my arms and my legs, but right now I want to work on my stomach.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get one?

Thanks!

California Jack
05-11-2005, 16:38
I usually get a couple of six packs every week. Usually one ale and one lager. Why would you wait 2 months?

RicVa
05-11-2005, 16:51
I have heard and used the phrase, "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym". When I had defined abs (no longer in as good of shape), I watched what I ate very carefully - 5-6 meals of about 400 calories each. Also, lots of cardio exercise. Not sure what point you are starting from, but a few weeks of this and you should see a difference.

Glock19Fan
05-11-2005, 17:52
Thanks.

Do you have somekind of workout schedule I could use?

Also, do you mean 5-6 meals of 400 calories a day?

Thanks?

garythenuke
05-11-2005, 18:28
First, if California Jack was really hard core, he would be getting two six packs a week of 40's, and doing heavy curls~rf Okay so maybe I am the only one who thinks that was funny.

But seriously, that is a good segue to what you are trying to get at. If you are a normally active adult male and live a somewhat active lifestyle, you have some abs burried down inside your gut right now. The best way to get some six packs is to cut your calories just like the previous poster suggested.

If you cut belley fat your stomach muscles will show up. If you want to get better abs than what you have you should start weight training. I actually started another post dealing with this. In the past I have had the best luck doing heavy deadlifts and heavy squats which did wonders for my abs.

My other post was directed at finding a magic bullet for abs. Unfortunately there does not seem to be one. Pavel Tatsoulini (sp) has a good ab program that I have read. I am just too lazy to do it. Heavy lifting works not only your back, legs, butt, shoulders, arms, grip, neck, but also your abs.

If you want a six pack right now, you'll have to ramp your calorie expenditure way up, drastically reduce your calorie intake, and basically feel like crap for the two months you are doing it. The safe rate is about one pound or so of fat a week. If you can dial it in that close, you will not feel any bad effects.

It is better to eat more small meals. Six or so meals a day is good, as long as you realize the calories in each is going to be depressingly low. 250 to 300 calories per meal should be your goal.

Good Luck

Glock19Fan
05-11-2005, 18:51
Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can find info on what exercises burn how many calories? I run one mile 1-2 times a week, which probably helps, and I am doing a lot of bench, and some squat.

I heard that cutting 500 calories a day + burning 500 calories a day will burn about two pounds of fat per week (3500 calories per pound of fat). I might also try that too.

RicVa
05-11-2005, 18:58
I was referring to 4 to 5 meals per day, with each meal consisting of about 400 calories. Everyone is different though, I am 6'7", so arguably need more calories to just sustain than a smaller guy or a girl. You want to speed up your metabolism, hence the reason for the smaller, more frequent meals, keeps the metabolism more steady.

As for the cardio, I would definitely run more than that. Run or do some other form of cardio about 4 times a week.

As for a site that lists what exercises burn how many calories, google it up. Here's one that I just found through google for example: http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm

garythenuke
05-11-2005, 19:20
Suggestion for burning calories:

If you are currently squatting, take whatever weight you can do ten reps with, and do 20. Take three big breaths between each rep if you have to, just do not rack the weight until you have done 20 reps. Then if you have anything left in your tank, do pullups and dips. Do one pullup and one dip. Rest ten seconds do another pullup and a dip.
If that is too easy, do two of each. This is how you can work large muscles for a sustained period while building lean muscle. If you do not increase your calorie intake, you will not gain weight and have to worry about a bunch of leg and hip muscle getting in your way.

Two day later, do ten sets of five deadlifts with a weight you can normally do 8 to 10 reps with. Then do more pullups and dips. After a few weeks, add some crunches, upright rows and overhead press. It will probably take a few weeks to build up your engine enough to do much more than this.

As for the classic cardio exercises, from what I understnad, running is the best. Vigorous ax chopping is great, but how many of us have access to that. Running is also good in that it is a weight bearing shocking exercise that stimulates the spine and hips. An eliptical trainer does a good job but does not have the adavantages of running. Running is also good for digestion.

Good luck

Glock19Fan
05-11-2005, 20:32
Thanks. I also found a site after looking on yahoo for calories burned.

I might try running 3 miles a day 3 times a week, intaking 500 less calories, and doing more vigorous workouts.

I figure I only need to loose 5-10 pounds or so throughout my body. Hopefully if I keep a steady schedule I will have a six pack before July.

BTW right now im benching 250 and squatting around 350 (I dont have enough weight to max but I did 300 5 times, possibly 6 if I wanted to try).

garythenuke
05-11-2005, 20:44
That is a great weight on the squat. Drop to 275 and do 20 reps. Every workout (twice a week if you are really a stud) add five pounds. That is 10 pounds a week. by July you should be doing #350 for 20 reps. I don't care who you are, that is huge!! Then if you do not have more weight by then, do two sets of 20. At some point you will turn your squats into a cardio workout entirely. THere is nothing wrong with that.

There is a video somewhere of Platz doing 21 reps with 500 pounds and nearly passing out. Squats are king, and deadlifts ae a very close second. Work your deadlifts on your non-squat days. If you squat 2xweek, dead 1xweek and do easy jogs the other three days you wil have a good foundation for anything you want to do. You have to rest one day a week.

Keep up the good work, let us know how you are feeling during your endeavor.

garythenuke
05-22-2005, 08:22
How is the six pack coming???

Glock19Fan
05-22-2005, 11:12
I have been cutting calories, and working out a little more in the weight room, but no noticable results yet. Im not doing as much cardio as I want to, since I dont have a track nearby. I might just have to run the around the county.

BTW for squat im doing 20x185, 10x225, and 20x250 (although I am doing two sets of 10 for the 250) at least 3 times a week. I hope the extra strength will help my running too.

garythenuke
05-22-2005, 20:25
Well Done!!
How are your legs feeling from the squats?? You should be feeling a change in your thighs, hips, shoulders, and back. Those are really good weights for your squats. The squatting will certainly help your running.

I run on the hill in front of my house. It is about 150 yards long and a relatively gentle slope. I sprint it about ten times after a workout. I also carry my 100# heavy bag up and down it (not running of course).

My neighbors have gotten used to it, and it is really a unique way to workout. It takes a long time to finish it, so it turns into a cardio workout quickly. It also works my whole body.

Keep up the good work.

Gary

Washington,D.C.
05-23-2005, 13:20
To really lose weight you need to work upto around 45 minutes cardio 4 times a week or more.

scholm
05-25-2005, 17:08
Goals are good and I'm glad you have one! Abs in 2 months eh? Diet and workout. I started in late March at 218 and am now 204 with carb cycling and lifting. Cardio sucks and with past experience you don't need it as long as your diet is in check.

Carb cycling is fairly easy. My days go no carb, low, high carb. I don't pay strict attention to calories and eat till I'm full on all days with 6-8 meals. Every lift is up and I'm noticeably a lot leaner without sacrificing any lean body mass. If you have never looked into it I highly recommend it because it works, is easy, and is workable to cut or bulk.

Here's a thread with 2 articles that explain it much further if you are interested:

Carb cycling (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=457715)

My workouts are entirely weight lifting since I want to keep or add the muscle I have. In addition, it burns a hell of a lot of calories. In my mind watching the tube at the gym that I can't hear while on an elliptical or treadmill isn't fun and in AZ it's too hot to go hiking so lifting it is. The more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn. Cardio will not help me maintain muscle or build it but I suppose it would help me jog a long way. I lift 5 or 6 days a week depending on how my body feels and each day I spend about 45 - 60 minutes in the gym. The only time I added cardio to my routine was when I was 11% bf and started dating this seriously smoking hot girl and we'd go hiking once or twice a week and that got me down to 9%.

Focus on the diet first since it is by far the most important aspect of being able to see a six pack. From there build a workout plan that will hit every part of your body and you will see rapid changes. Cardio can help but I never found it was necessary.

JMag
05-25-2005, 17:36
Any ideas as to how much genetics plays into who can and who cannot achieve a six-pack?

I believe it plays a large role.

I'm over 40 and haven't worked my abs hard in years. They remain well-defined and even more so when I cut back on the calories and watch what I eat.

I have a daily routine I use even when sitting around which has helped along the way.

I know people who knock themselves out with all types of ab equipment and exercises, watch their caloric intake, and get nowhere.

RockinAR
06-09-2005, 16:49
6 packs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

SouthernGal
06-10-2005, 14:09
I combine cardio 3-5 x a week with ab work at least 3x a week. I get on average about 1600 calories a day.

I use the ab workout from Fitness magazine. You can download their guide from the website and print it off. I also use a balance (stability) ball for crunches.

And I agree with the poster that said that not everyone has the genetics to have a good 6-pack. Mine are defined but not carved looking. While I agree mine could look better, I don't have the normal "pooch" I hear all my girlfriends complaining about.

RockinAR
06-19-2005, 01:37
Originally posted by JMag
Any ideas as to how much genetics plays into who can and who cannot achieve a six-pack?

I know people who knock themselves out with all types of ab equipment and exercises, watch their caloric intake, and get nowhere.

People who can't get a 6 pack are usually cheaters. They cheat with the weights and they cheat with thier diets.