Now how about USB ports on laptop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Now how about USB ports on laptop?

tpiini
05-11-2005, 21:17
Since I got my hard drive question answered so quickly, I'll try one more for tonight...

My Dell laptop has USB 1(1.1?) ports. Is there any way to make them USB 2.0 ports? I'm guessing here that if possible, it's a deep dive into the case and not just a software thing, right? I guess I could use a PC card, but I usually have a wireless card stuffed into that port.

Thanks some more,

Tom

cgwahl
05-11-2005, 21:51
Adding a USB Port

If your computer doesn't have a USB port or you want to add the newer USB2 functionality, you can add USB or USB2 by buying an inexpensive adapter card that fits into a PCI slot in your computer.

If you have a notebook computer, you can purchase a USB port that fits into the card slot. However, you should be aware that USB devices can use a lot of your computer's power. This is not a problem if you have a desktop computer or are using your notebook computer with an A/C power cord. However, if you plan to run your portable computer on its batteries, a USB device can be a power drain on the batteries.

http://www.aarp.org/learntech/computers/howto/Articles/a2002-07-15-usb.html

darin2
05-11-2005, 21:52
The USB ports are hardware, not software. You are correct, you cannot change the ones you have.

podwich
05-15-2005, 02:58
Do you only have 1 PC card slot? Some laptops have 2-one on top of the other.