Printer/Network question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Printer/Network question

LoWRyDa
05-15-2005, 14:30
How can I make my printer available to the other computers on my wireless network? Do I have to buy one of those printer servers I see in the stores or can it be done with no extra equipment? I've been trying to do it through the control panel and I just canít seem to get it(the printer) to appear on one of the wireless laptops.

Sgt. Schultz
05-15-2005, 18:03
To share the printer ... open the Printers and Faxes folder on the computer that has the printer. Then select the printer's icon, right click in the tasks pane, click "Sharing ..."
In the selected printer's Properties dialog box click on the Sharing tab and give the printer a name. Once you have done this close all the open boxes and the printer is available for other computers to use.

Now go to the other computer and add the printer. However instead of adding a local printer you add a network printer, you browse the network for the printer and add it. The computer with the printer attached MUST be powered on to print to it.

LoWRyDa
05-20-2005, 20:02
it wont let me browse my network when i chose the "connect to a printer on the internet or on a home or office network" it just asks for the exact URL of the printer, so how do i find the URL of the printer?

David_G17
05-20-2005, 20:46
are both computers in the same workgroup?

LoWRyDa
05-20-2005, 21:09
yes

Sgt. Schultz
05-20-2005, 21:36
Some info about the systems in question would be helpful.

Itís probably a firewall, if you are running XP turn off itís built in firewall. You can also disable (temporarily) any firewall that you installed (Norton, Zone Alarm etcÖ) to see if they are causing the problem.

pyblood
05-21-2005, 14:34
Start - Run - \\"name of the computer with teh printer shared" (remove the quotes)

If you can see the printer, the printer is properly shared. Double click on the printer, and install the drivers.