Will this Home Office Network work? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Will this Home Office Network work?

ArmoredSaint
05-15-2005, 17:36
I am getting a home office network set-up, please let me know if this is right or any issues with it, I'm just looking for a simple and efficient network. Thanks!

http://images9.fotki.com/v183/photos/4/499657/2191125/HomeNetwork-vi.jpg

frefoo
05-15-2005, 19:00
I can't speak about the printer function via linksys; however the network side looks good.

Once you get it setup you may want to run an external firewall checking program such as
Shields Up (http://www.grc.com) to make sure you don't have any open holes (such as port 113).

nickg
05-17-2005, 13:32
something interesting -- my son came home from college and brought his computer home and set it up. i was thinking about how i was going to set up his system to network to the web.

so all he did was just plug his ethernet cable into my router and he was up and running on the web WITHOUT having to go into network settings and do ANYTHING!!

i thought for sure i'd have to go through all of these network gyrations to get everything up and running. the only thing he didn't set up was printer settings, which is no big deal because he can just run his own printer locally.

saves me some headaches.

go figure.

fastvfr
05-18-2005, 00:44
No, the 'network gyrations' would only be necessary to allow him to share files with the other PC's on the network.

The NIC negotiates a connection automatically, as it should. Having it see the other machines is where Network Setup comes into play.

And, yeah, you should be able to get that setup running, but why are you using a WAP if every machine is going to be cabled?

Got a laptop or something that will connect via radio?

nickg
05-18-2005, 09:47
Originally posted by fastvfr
No, the 'network gyrations' would only be necessary to allow him to share files with the other PC's on the network.

The NIC negotiates a connection automatically, as it should. Having it see the other machines is where Network Setup comes into play.

thanks. i really had no idea about that. since we're not interested in file sharing or anything of that nature then it's all a moot point.

like i said, the only thing we wanted was to get his system connected to the web. i just have to make sure if my system is off to at least keep the modem/router on.

HerrGlock
05-18-2005, 10:23
Change the 10/100 4 port router to

10/100 4 port router/firewall

and look for "Stateful Packet Inspection" and/or "SPI" and not just a natting router.

DanH

ArmoredSaint
05-19-2005, 18:29

And, yeah, you should be able to get that setup running, but why are you using a WAP if every machine is going to be cabled?

Got a laptop or something that will connect via radio?

the wired is my desktop computers and the WAP is for my laptops.

fastvfr
05-20-2005, 18:55
O!! IC.

Then you should have no problems.

ArmoredSaint
05-20-2005, 19:33
O!! IC.

Then you should have no problems.

cool, thanks! that was what i wanted to hear :D