Switching from Outlook Express to Outlook [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Outlook Express to Outlook

.264 magnum
05-16-2005, 06:51
I can't seem to set Outlook as my email. After a lot of trying Outlook Express is still my emial client.

Any ideas?

Using XP, Verizon DSL, new fast Dell machine etc.

HerrGlock
05-16-2005, 07:08
Any ideas?

Yeah, but not one of them includes Microsoft products.

Why don't you play around with

Eudora
Pegasus
Netscape Mail

etc, etc, etc.

Get off the virus-enabler that is Outlook (in any of its guises)

DanH

Sgt. Schultz
05-16-2005, 10:35
I agree with HerrGlock, but if you insist on using M$ crap …

I assume that you are trying to make OL your default mail program, if so you will find that under Tools - Options – General, if that’s not what you are trying to do then you will need to clarify your question.

LoWRyDa
05-16-2005, 11:21
whats so bad about outlook? i currently use Express and have no problems with it, whats so good about the others?

HerrGlock
05-16-2005, 11:30
Originally posted by LoWRyDa
whats so bad about outlook? i currently use Express and have no problems with it, whats so good about the others?

Any vulnerability that affects IE, Windows core or Outlook will affect Outlook and probably Outlook Express.

The odds are that same vulnerability will not affect (literally) any other Email client beyond the Outlook series.

Outlook uses IE whenever it shows HTML to render the HTML within the mail body window or the preview window. If there are i-frames, javascript, or another flaw in IE, it will work just fine in the preview pane of Outlook unless/until you get the latest update.

With other email clients you break the chain needed to infect your system.
DanH

gwalchmai
05-16-2005, 13:20
Unless you're connecting to a M$ Exchange $erver I'd use Thunderbird. It's MUCH better, and more secure than OL or OLx. Check it out HERE (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/)

.264 magnum
05-16-2005, 14:20
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz
I agree with HerrGlock, but if you insist on using M$ crap …

I assume that you are trying to make OL your default mail program, if so you will find that under Tools - Options – General, if that’s not what you are trying to do then you will need to clarify your question.

I did all the above. Outlook is the default email but it will not send or recieve email. This "account" is on a customer's network so I'm obliged to use Outlook as he requires such.

Sgt. Schultz
05-16-2005, 14:23
Once again I to agree with HerrGlock ...

Plus I have 9 e-mail accounts (personal, business, etc…) I use Eudora, which allows me to check all 9 at the same time and then sort the e-mail into separate mail boxes ... can you do that with OL or OE?

gwalchmai
05-16-2005, 14:25

Plus I have 9 e-mail accounts (personal, business, etc…) I use Eudora, which allows me to check all 9 at the same time and then sort the e-mail into separate mail boxes ... can you do that with OL or OE? Actually, I think you can.

Critter
05-16-2005, 14:40

Plus I have 9 e-mail accounts (personal, business, etc…) I use Eudora, which allows me to check all 9 at the same time and then sort the e-mail into separate mail boxes ... can you do that with OL or OE?

Yessiree, with Outlook at least, I check 6 right now including two 'commercial' e-mails and seperate some e-mails into different files. I had to chunk T-Bird becuase it didn't have the group e-mail capability I needed and I don't believe the address book held the info I needed either. I went back to Outlook and have all of that and more including the calander, journal that interfaces with Word and Access, and a place to jot quick notes and be able to refer back to them. The task list is neat too, now if I can just get to some of the things on it I'll be okay.

(networking my system is still on it under 'failed attempts')

Sgt. Schultz
05-16-2005, 14:59
Originally posted by Critter
Yessiree, with Outlook at least, I check 6 right now including two 'commercial' e-mails and seperate some e-mails into different files. With OE you have to switch accounts, which closes one mail box before opening the other.
Is that how Outlook works or can you view all of them at the same time? It's been a few years since I messed with either program.

With Eudora I have all of the accounts open at once and can send and receive from any or all of them at once.

Sgt. Schultz
05-16-2005, 15:05
QUOTE]Originally posted by .264 magnum
This "account" is on a customer's network so I'm obliged to use Outlook as he requires such. [/QUOTE]

Is this account behind a firewall? If so then it does not matter what program you use because you won’t be able to access it.

HerrGlock
05-16-2005, 17:10
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Internet Properties

6th tab is Programs. Set your default email program there.

DanH

David_G17
05-16-2005, 17:17
oh, btw outlook users, don't forget to DISABLE your virus scan on e-mail messages per Microsoft's instructions...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

1. Disable the e-mail scan in your anti-virus program.

it's not like any viruses have ever been sent through outlook users.

Critter
05-17-2005, 11:02
With OE you have to switch accounts, which closes one mail box before opening the other.
Is that how Outlook works or can you view all of them at the same time? It's been a few years since I messed with either program.

With Eudora I have all of the accounts open at once and can send and receive from any or all of them at once.

I open Outlook, hit either F9 or send/recieve, and it checks all of the e-mails. A little task window shows up letting you know it's sending and recieving and gives you the percentage of it being done and an indicator of task X of X being done. I guess technically it's checking them one at a time, but with only one keystroke from me. I can even write e-mails when I'm offline and send them when I'm back online. This helps when I bring my compouter on the road and don't have instant access to the net.

With the filters I have set up, it segregates copies of the messages I want in different files automatically, and I have it set up to leave a copy in the main file also. This way I can preview the message, but it leaves a 'new message indicator' in the appropriate file so I know to come back to it later if I do't feel like dealing with it presently.

I know that Outlook may not be the best, but it just has so many features that I use woeking with the other Microsoft software that it certainly is the most convienient. The address book is outstanding and has proven itself very useful when I need the info, especially when I have a dozen or more students in each class and a couple of classes going at the same time, and several clients active at the same time. It cuts m communication time down considerable]y. Now, as for my organization skills, well, let's not discuss them, it is after all a family channel and you just cannot use language like that here.;g