Firefox problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firefox problem

Romadoc
05-16-2005, 07:11
I downloaded the new patch for Firefox as requested by my Firefox screen. I believe it was 1.4. Since then, my machine has slowed as though trudging through a swamp. What's up?

troyboy30
05-16-2005, 07:14
Did you do a clean install as they suggested?

heres a very good tweak guide if ya havn't seen it.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_1.html

LoWRyDa
05-17-2005, 11:51
I had the same problem with Firefox, but before the install, i used it like 9 months ago, it was slow as hell, unsintalled and tried again at the recommendation of a friend within the last 2 weeks, but nope, its still slow as hell, any ideas what this could be? i really liked the tabbed viewing and once i started using it my spyware went from like 60 found to only about 10, but its just way to slow, IE blows it away on load times(maybe 1 second to load a new IE browser, 10sec minimum for FF) on my computer and Firefox also kills my resources, i used to be able to have upto 20 IE's open and it would never slow, but now when i have anymore than 3 or 4 of FF the system comes to a halt, and then they just randomly shut close without a warning.

Romadoc
05-17-2005, 15:44
I did a "clean" re-install. However, the machine continues to have problems...ie. "operation timed out", "waiting for google" and just slow operation. Additionally, a formally well working download of "Spy Sweeper" now appears with the word "error" in the upper part of the logo. I have referred this to Webroot. The fact remains that all this grief is subsequent to changing to the new Foxfire.

Harlequin
05-18-2005, 15:42
Originally posted by LoWRyDa
I had the same problem with Firefox, but before the install, i used it like 9 months ago, it was slow as hell, unsintalled and tried again at the recommendation of a friend within the last 2 weeks, but nope, its still slow as hell, any ideas what this could be? i really liked the tabbed viewing and once i started using it my spyware went from like 60 found to only about 10, but its just way to slow, IE blows it away on load times(maybe 1 second to load a new IE browser, 10sec minimum for FF) on my computer and Firefox also kills my resources, i used to be able to have upto 20 IE's open and it would never slow, but now when i have anymore than 3 or 4 of FF the system comes to a halt, and then they just randomly shut close without a warning.

My experience has been completely opposite. Firefox, even untweaked, is much faster than IE. It's more stable and contains built in features IE needs external programs to have.

aspartz
05-18-2005, 22:31
I had the same problem with 1.04. I uninstalled everything and tehn reinstalled -- all seemed well. The I tried to install spellbound... No Joy -- it won't install.

ARS

Fireglock
05-19-2005, 06:48
Firefox does load slower than IE, but then again half the code isn't in the system software. Typically when I've had a problem with FF, deleting the user profile gets rid of it.