Laptop Battery Usage [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Battery Usage

DWavs
05-16-2005, 17:02
Purchased a new Dell and was wondering on what the general concensus was about battery usage?

Is it harmful to keep it plugged in constantly while using it on my desk or is it better to let the battery go down and then recharge it...and repeat that process over and over?

What say ye?

podwich
05-16-2005, 17:04
I don't know if Dell does this, but my IBM Thinkpad has a setting that won't recharge the battery until it gets below a certain level. This allows you to plug it in and not charge the battery, saving a bunch of charge/discharge cycles.

David_G17
05-16-2005, 17:18
Originally posted by DWavs
is it better to let the battery go down and then recharge it...and repeat that process over and over?

i believe that was true like 8-10 years ago, but no longer true with today's batteries.

DWavs
05-16-2005, 17:22
Thanks for the replies. I didn't buy the thing for constant mobility since wireless is not available in my area so I am just gonna keep it plugged in.

Sgt. Schultz
05-16-2005, 17:23
Most of our laptop users have a several power bricks, one for home, one for the office and one for travel We have always suggested (strongly) to our laptop users to work off the battery at least twice a month. If the laptop is setup correctly you will get plenty of warning before your battery runs down. We tell them that upon arrival to work, not to plug in the AC until the warning and that if they have to leave their laptop to be sure and save everything. Some will argue that this is not necessary with the "today’s" batteries ... but why take a chance.

Str8shootr
05-17-2005, 14:58
I am certainly not a techie on computers, but since I don't carry my laptop much, and it is fairly stationary most of the time, I just took my battery out of the computer and don't use it at all. If I am going to take it somewhere, I will charge it up before I go.

A computer consultant I use at the office told me heat is the major enemy of the battery. He recommended I get one of those fan platforms to set the computer on to keep it cool, so I did. I think it only cost $20. Be sure and air blow clean the fan platform on occasion since mine gets dusty. Blow it with one of those canned air things........OUTSIDE, or use the vacuum with brush attachment.

Sgt. Schultz
05-17-2005, 15:32
Originally posted by Str8shootr
He recommended I get one of those fan platforms to set the computer on to keep it cool Excellent suggestion ... overheating can and will cause computer/laptop problems.