Older GPS unit Q [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Older GPS unit Q

GSD17
05-17-2005, 18:42
I was given an older GPS unit (1991 is the only date I could find in the owners manual). It is a Sony PYXIS IPS-360. It has everything that it came with including the case and owners manuals, looks like it has never been used actually. Anyway, my question is, what do you reckon it is worth? I have searched to no avail. It is in mint condition with all its components. It is RX only does not TX, another ham gave it to me because he couldnt use it for APRS, kinda neat, dont plan on sellin it, but I figure Ill set it up in the car just for the heck of it, anyway, can anyone point me in the direction as to what its worth just for kicks?

Michael Dean
05-18-2005, 10:23
I can't find anything about the current value of your GPS receiver. However it was one of, it not the first "consumer" model of GPS made available to the general public. The new list price was over $1,000.00, and it sold for a bit less on the street. I believe it is only a 2 or maybe 4 channel model. The GPS receivers available today are usually 12 channel models, which do work faster and in less than ideal conditions.

This doesn't answer your question of today's value of the Sony unit, however if it were me I would keep the unit simply because it was one of the first GPS receivers available.

GSD17
05-18-2005, 10:47
Ok thanks,neat to know that it was one of the first available to the public, it is in extremely good condition, wasnt planning on getting rid of it anyway, I may set it up and play with it a little in the car or something, I know that it is outdated and all, but it was free, and very nice. Thanks for the info on it. I dont have much use for GPS, but I work with a SAR unit, could come in handy with it being battery operated and all too. Itll work for what I need it for, I dont need new updated things much, thanks again.

lomfs24
05-19-2005, 00:44
There is one on ebay with a bit of technical data about it.
Sony PYXIS IPS-360 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=55808&item=7515503759&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)
Starting price was $10 and in nearly seven days he has not gotten a taker yet. Of course he does have a $25 price tag on shipping.
Sony PYXIS IPS-360 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=55808&item=7515503759&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)