No cardio after lifting??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No cardio after lifting???

beavis1957
05-19-2005, 05:58
Can anyone give me reasons, real scientific ones preferably, that it is not good to do cardio after a lift.

My schedule allows me to get to the gym 4 days a week, so I do 2 upper body and two lower body days, with cardio every day after the lift(normally 30 min on the bike).

Some have said this is bad practice. Why?

Thanks.

don't tread on me
05-19-2005, 12:11
The only negative I can think of is that you will lose the "pump" you have in whatever muscle group you worked!! But the cardio benefits will outweigh that! It also will not affect your ability to gain strength and size unless your cardio sessions are extremly long ones.

Wet Dog
05-20-2005, 18:44
It will help speed recovery and improved my lean body mass % since I've started doing it.

xcop
05-23-2005, 13:03
As long as it is after the lifting I think you should be fine. It depends on your recovery ability. If you find yourself having trouble with your strength training then reduce the cardio until it doesnt interfere. Everybody is different so you will have to experiment and make adustments along the way. Your age and nutrition play a big role.

Washington,D.C.
05-23-2005, 13:10
Cardio has MORE effect after lifting.When I was in high school it was cardio then weights but these days it's been proven that the most benefit is gained with cardio AFTER lifting.

22Glock Fan
05-24-2005, 08:47
I agree with xcop, as long as it AFTER the lifting, it isn't a problem. Exhausting yourself before lifting seems counterproductive and when I have tried it that way, it seemed because I was somewhat fatigued already, my form was subpar, and that means unnecessary injuries!!

;Z

mossy500camo
05-25-2005, 15:55
Originally posted by beavis1957
Can anyone give me reasons, real scientific ones preferably, that it is not good to do cardio after a lift.

My schedule allows me to get to the gym 4 days a week, so I do 2 upper body and two lower body days, with cardio every day after the lift(normally 30 min on the bike).

Some have said this is bad practice. Why?

Thanks.

My nephew is a "Body Building freak" he does cardio I think 3 days a week for 30 mins each day. Keeps the extra fat off.

mossy500camo
05-25-2005, 15:57
????

NDGlock
06-08-2005, 09:58
Mossy,

Have you tried splitting cardio by putting it in the AM? This leaves more time for lifting.

I used to do cardio after lifting but it didn't seem as intense or beneficial.

Just find what works for you and give it a whirl.

robwebbg22
06-08-2005, 12:12
Endurance speed running burns muscle. I would speed walk on a incline treadmill if u really wanted to bulk up, if it didnt matter then running after you lift is great. Supplement creaine glutamine and a multivitamin with lots of water.