Precautions taken when pulling over to help someone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Precautions taken when pulling over to help someone?

emt1581
05-19-2005, 11:07
Personally I put up my light, put on my high beams (to light things up a bit, and then put my 4-ways on.

I've thought about calling my gf and giving her the plate number of the car just in case something should go terribly wrong (God forbid), but what do you do before you actually approach the "victims"?

BTW, the only reason I do not immediatly call 911 is because of the amount of flat tires and cars that just needed a jump I pull up to. No sense in wasting the cops time for something I can handle.

Thanks

-Emt1581

jlw_84
05-19-2005, 17:53
If its just a dude with a flat or whatever I just keep going, but if its obviously a MVC or appears to be a bona fide emergency, I put my truck in a safe position, light it up like a christmas tree, turn off the headlights.

Obviously scene safety is my #1 priority, then I go from there. Since I'm a creature of the night, if I see a disabled female motorist, I'll stop and ask if she needs any help or use my cell phone or whatever.

But there's not much I can do by myself if I come across a wreck that no-one else is at yet, I can make the phone calls, block traffic with my vehicle, etc. But I dont carry anything besides gloves/CPR barrier in my truck usually, so I guess I could assume C-Spine Control, but then I'm stuck there until the squad arrives.

My first time stopping at a wreck, I was 18 years old and had just finished the EMT-B program, it was a rollover with ejection. Dude was as dead as fried chicken, and there I was. Alone for about 5 minutes until the FD showed up, talking about being scared and lost. That was my first true emergency situation.

Next time was a 16yo female, rollover, in a real bad winter storm here in Ohio. Squad response was delayed due to the weather, so I got to cowboy that one too. She landed half-in and half-out of the car,legs still inside the windows of the upside down vehicle, torso and head sticking out, luckily it didn't roll again, or it would of been a lot worse. She was awake, alert and oriented, ABC's & PMS was fine, vitals with-in normal bounds. So after wrapping her up with all the blankets and coats I had in my car, I maintained C-spine with my knees while doing a quick trauma assessment and jotting down her info on one of her school notebooks that had gotten tossed out.
That was probaly the smoothest I've seen things go after that, squad arrived, c-collar on, backboard slid under, straps, cot, in the squad, and off with my piece of paper w/info. This happened in my Fire district, so it was my guys who responded, so they didn't feel the need to question my care or info. Also since we are issued portable radios, I was able to maintain communication through out.

Excuse the book I just wrote, but thats my answer as well as a few stories, which no one ever runs out of at a fire house.

emt1581
05-23-2005, 15:31
Thanks for the reply!:)

Definitly an interesting read.

So no one else takes ANY precautions when stopping to help someone?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Tvov
05-24-2005, 05:41
Originally posted by jlw_84

But there's not much I can do by myself if I come across a wreck that no-one else is at yet, .

I hate being the first one at a scene.

Anyways... when you say precautions, do mean for self-defense? Or related to emergency response?

I have not been at a scene (yet) where I felt any bad "vibes", so I haven't had to think about self defense.

The biggest precaution is usually parking trucks to give a safe area to work in. If possible I try not to use my personal vehicle as a "crash truck", but it has a big bright amber light on the roof (because of snowplowing) that is very visible, especially at night. Also, at a minimum, I throw on my turnout coat (obviously I put on everything when I have a chance). It identifies me as FD, and also has reflective stripes on it. The reflective material on gear makes a BIG difference at night because people are distracted by all the flashing lights; anything to help them see me walking around is good.

When everyone else begins showing up, the regular SOPs kick in (truck placement, cones, traffic control, civilian control, etc).

emt1581
05-24-2005, 08:31
When I say precautions I mean for your own well being. So I guess that would mean self-defense.

Thanks

-Emt1581

bullittcntydes1
06-08-2005, 23:23
I was in michigan going to a wedding was up all nite havnt had any sleep. I was in my crown vic pulled up on a bad wreck just happend I ran up to the first window a truck nobody was wearing seatbelts they were both knocked out and 1 of them was spitting blood. I ran too the second car it was a woman in her late 20's in a neon there was a car seat in the back but no baby in it thank god! Her window was up and door's lock then I noticed smoke in the back and flames shot out. I thought oh **** and I ran to the trunk to get my fire extinguisher but I unpacked it to put luggage. By the time I tryed to run back and maybe bust out the window and pull her out the car was fully involved. I still feel like **** to this day and this happend 5 years ago. I was her only hope and I failed.

Tvov
06-09-2005, 16:35
Originally posted by bullittcntydes1

You did what you could. Have you talked to anyone about what happened? Sometimes it helps.