When I'm the King... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : When I'm the King...

aspartz
05-20-2005, 00:27
When I am the King of Technology:

As much as I hate gov't regulation, there is one thing I would mandate on tech companies if I could:

All devices that use external power adapters (wall warts), the voltage and power specs of YOUR product must be indelibly marked on the product case.

I have a butt load of various devices like hubs that have, over the course of time, been pitched into the box of seldom needed things. Unfortunately, when the "seldom" occurs, I always have to figure out exactly what transformer I'm supposed to use.
:soap:

In an ideal world every thing would use either unique plugs for each voltage or everything would use the SAME voltage. Of course in this ideal world Heidi Klum would be married to me, but that's a different fantasy.

ARS

fastvfr
05-20-2005, 02:18
You don't 'tag' all of your wall warts?

I have scribed LinkSys or whatever on them (and bagged them together with their appliance) for good measure ever since the Dawn Of Computing.

That's the Seven P's in action...Proper Previous Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance, don't ya know.

As you can imagine, I have far fewer gray hairs than most other PC techs. :cool:

HerrGlock
05-20-2005, 04:58
Alcohol markers are your friends.

LINKSYS HUB - LINKSYS HUB

Cabletron Switch - Cabletron Switch.

A - A
AB - AB
etc

:cool:
DanH

Toyman
05-20-2005, 08:09
I used to have the same problem, then I just started marking everything. Not only "linksys hub" but the voltage as well.

Sgt. Schultz
05-20-2005, 09:48
Sharpies work great for marking your power adapters.

Originally posted by fastvfr
As you can imagine, I have far fewer gray hairs than most other PC techs. :cool: I too have far fewer gray hair then most PC techs, their hair turned gray ... mine turned loose! ;g

aspartz
05-20-2005, 10:25
Marking them would work -- in the Heidi K ideal world.

1) Unfortunately, I always seem to be "borrowing" a wart to replace one that got run over by an office chair, eaten by a vacuum....

2) I have a personality flaw that wil not let me mark up anything. It boters me when people use sharpies to mark buttons on registers and such.

ARS

fastvfr
05-20-2005, 18:24
To address point #1:
http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/94/9b/c2_1.JPG

And as for point #2, just mark them in inconspicuous locations, like underneath the gadget and between the AC prongs...

Your little 'personality flaw' there will cause you endless troubles until you either learn to work around it or ignore it.

Good luck!