looking for training mats [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : looking for training mats

bluemeanie
05-20-2005, 13:04
Does anyone have any used ones for sale? Have you spotted any good deals lately? I don't know the different types, but my Karate club will be using them for ground work and throws.

Thanks,
Blue

Steelviper
05-20-2005, 13:51
My old TKD club got together and bought some of the "puzzle mats". Kind of a rubber-foam material that interlocks to make up a mat across a larger area. NOT very soft. It worked ok, but smelled bad, and didn't provide much cushion.

At my current jujitsu school the whole floor consists of that blue gymnastic-looking mats. MUCH nicer feeling (though probably much more expensive).

bluemeanie
05-20-2005, 15:38
Another school I went to used the gymnastic mats. I liked 'em, too.

I found some here:

http://www.tumbltrak.com/products/3:4:8/gymnastics-equipment-mats-foam-products-mushy-mats.html

and these don't seem too much more expensive than the wrestling and locking-style mats I've seen in my searches. we only need one or two right now. I think I'm gonna try to sell the club on the gymnastics mat idea.

BlackBelt
05-20-2005, 19:40
I use Swain mats. They come in two different thicknesses (is that a word?).
They are quality mats. Never had one rip or tear, or even show any wear.
My only complaint is that shipping on those bad boys is pretty expensive, because they are fairly heavy.

Fedaykin
05-22-2005, 00:02
If you happen to live in Hawaii, I have a set of Swain Sports Mats for sale. I have used them in my JKD school for two and a half years and, like BlackBelt says, they show no signs of wear (which is more than I can say for other brands, such as Norbert's). The only reason I'm getting rid of them is because I have to move soon.

Temet nosce,
Fedaykin

bluemeanie
05-24-2005, 11:35
I wish I could take advantage of that Fedaykin. I am in the lower (lower) 48. Hopefully someone there has a need.

I am still trying to get some specs from the club on what we need exactly. I am thinking it is the thicker "tumbling" type mats, as they're to be used for throws.